Cape Dory, 1984 25D..limited restoration & relaunch. - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Location: Live in Rock Hill SC, my 25D Cape Dory isc Moored in Mooresville NC on Lake Norman.

Cape Dory, 1984 25D..limited restoration & relaunch.

Recently purchased a 1984 25 D Cape Dory, engine has not been run for 4 years. Can anyone advise me on best procedure of what to do to the Varner 1MG diesel before I try to start it. I have replaced both oil & fuel filters. I will drain & refill fuel & oil. Do I pre oil cylinders, add injector conditioner to fuel, any thing I have missed or do not know about? Getting mildew & mold off (Cabin)wood work. Best sealer on wood especially teak on deck..
r wood work
Thanks
DDGIII
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: Cape Dory, 1984 25D..limited restoration & relaunch.

I would hand crank the engine with kill switch engaged in order to lubricate it before start up. If this isn't possible I'd turn it over a couple times with the electric starter, kill switch engaged. That'll also do the trick.

Congrats on the boat, BTW. Those are neat old girls.
The Following User Says Thank You to drew1711 For This Useful Post:
deeddg (1 Week Ago)
post #3 of 5 Old 1 Week Ago

Turn the motor over by hand with the compression release open and the fuel shut off knob pulled out ( there is not kill switch on a 1GM ) to make sure it is turning properly then use the starter with the compression release open. then i would close the compression release and try to start it before you change the fuel filter . since you have changed the filter you will now have to bleed the fuel lines all the way to the injectors on an engine that you have not run. I would say read up on bleeding the fuel system or get a qualified mechanic to help you. https://www.yanmarshop.com/Media/Def...J020A1279).pdf

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
The Following User Says Thank You to overbored For This Useful Post:
deeddg (1 Week Ago)

post #4 of 5 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Location: Live in Rock Hill SC, my 25D Cape Dory isc Moored in Mooresville NC on Lake Norman.

Just opening up the fuel, new filter or not I have to bleed fuel lines? Every time I change fuel filters will this be an issue??
If I had done nothing with fuel/filter system I would not have had to bleed system..but risk contaminated fuel issue?
You have no idea how I appreciate this advise!!
post #5 of 5 Old 1 Week Ago

bleeding is not hard but read the manual first, diesels are very fussy about air in the fuel line not like a gas engine. you need to bleed before you turn it over. four year old fuel in the injectors should not be a problem. I have always used a outboard pump bulb to bleed the filters and lines. some will say they are not made for diesel and will fail. but I have never had a problem in 40 years

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in