Installing a Boomkicker...any tricks? - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SailingUphill

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-15-2019 Thread Starter

Installing a Boomkicker...any tricks?

Defender had a sale on Boomkickers and I finally picked one up for my Santana 30. Any tips or tricks for the install? I have the added challenge of a rotating boom so I have to make it stationary, but besides that just wanted to know from others that have installed it if there is anything I should look out for.

S/V Cuajota - 1975 WD Schock Santana 30

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-16-2019

Re: Installing a Boomkicker...any tricks?

The one that came with my boat was installed upside down. Kept popping out of clamps. Took a good amount of staring time to figure it out. So, don't install the brackets upside down. Other than that - just adjust to the resting position you like. It can take a hell of a lot of stress.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-16-2019
Above 5 knots

Dock

catalina direct sells a lock for the boom to prevent rotation. I can't find it on their new site, I just know they sold one for the Capri 22, used it on my Capri 25, and it wasn't really necessary.

Boomkicker has some of the best customer service on the planet. Any questions you can email them, and they are quick to respond, and they have extra parts if you need them, will even do swaps for larger or smaller diameter rods.

The mistake that many make is they either shorten the rods to much, or use to large a diameter rods. Keep in mind this is not to replace your topping lift, but to provide upward force to allow you to shape the mainsail better, mostly in light air (add twist). It provides very little in the way of support of the boom in the meantime.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!

post #4 of 10 Old 06-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingUphill View Post
Keep in mind this is not to replace your topping lift, but to provide upward force to allow you to shape the mainsail better, mostly in light air (add twist). It provides very little in the way of support of the boom in the meantime.
Is there a downside to using a boomkicker in place of the topping lift? It seems like it would work.

Their website says:
Quote:
Boomkickers are simply the best solution to support the boom and eliminate the topping lift
Boomkicker

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #5 of 10 Old 06-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Is there a downside to using a boomkicker in place of the topping lift? It seems like it would work.

Their website says:

Boomkicker
Yes, I would agree that a boomkicker's primary benefit is to eliminate the need for a topping lift.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #6 of 10 Old 06-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
Defender had a sale on Boomkickers and I finally picked one up for my Santana 30. Any tips or tricks for the install? I have the added challenge of a rotating boom so I have to make it stationary, but besides that just wanted to know from others that have installed it if there is anything I should look out for.
I don't think the swivel gooseneck on your boat will be an issue. I didnt even realize my Santana gooseneck was like yours until the vang was removed for repair. The rigid vang kept it from rotating. I suspect your Boomkicker will have the same effect. There is not a lot of torque placed on the boom under load.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #7 of 10 Old 06-17-2019
Lake Sailor

When I installed mine, the directions were very easy. Just drilled, tapped, and screwed the pieces in place. Works great and yes, it removes the need for a topping lift.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post

Their website says:

Boomkicker
last boat had one and we never had a topping lift. that is why they designed it, so you do not need a topping lift. we kept the main halyard attached to the end of the boom for storage to keep it away from the mast and the boom from bouncing when not using it.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Last edited by overbored; 06-17-2019 at 01:42 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-17-2019
Above 5 knots

Dock

Lemme rephrase... you cannot use the boomkicker as the ONLY support for your boom.
typically a topping lift or a halyard run aft of the boom holds the boom up when the sail is not hoisted. I always use a halyard, but then my boltrope is removed after each sail.

Otherwise an important handhold while under power alone goes away (as the boom won't support much weight under boomkicker alone).
Minnesail likes this.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #10 of 10 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Ahh, good point. On a small boat like mine I do rely on the boom as a handhold when moving about the boat.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in