SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Installing a Boomkicker...any tricks?

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Minnesail 
#1 ·
Defender had a sale on Boomkickers and I finally picked one up for my Santana 30. Any tips or tricks for the install? I have the added challenge of a rotating boom so I have to make it stationary, but besides that just wanted to know from others that have installed it if there is anything I should look out for.

#2 ·
The one that came with my boat was installed upside down. Kept popping out of clamps. Took a good amount of staring time to figure it out. So, don't install the brackets upside down. Other than that - just adjust to the resting position you like. It can take a hell of a lot of stress.

#3 ·
catalina direct sells a lock for the boom to prevent rotation. I can't find it on their new site, I just know they sold one for the Capri 22, used it on my Capri 25, and it wasn't really necessary.

Boomkicker has some of the best customer service on the planet. Any questions you can email them, and they are quick to respond, and they have extra parts if you need them, will even do swaps for larger or smaller diameter rods.

The mistake that many make is they either shorten the rods to much, or use to large a diameter rods. Keep in mind this is not to replace your topping lift, but to provide upward force to allow you to shape the mainsail better, mostly in light air (add twist). It provides very little in the way of support of the boom in the meantime.

#4 ·
Keep in mind this is not to replace your topping lift, but to provide upward force to allow you to shape the mainsail better, mostly in light air (add twist). It provides very little in the way of support of the boom in the meantime.
Is there a downside to using a boomkicker in place of the topping lift? It seems like it would work.

Their website says:
Boomkickers are simply the best solution to support the boom and eliminate the topping lift
Boomkicker

#6 ·
I don't think the swivel gooseneck on your boat will be an issue. I didnt even realize my Santana gooseneck was like yours until the vang was removed for repair. The rigid vang kept it from rotating. I suspect your Boomkicker will have the same effect. There is not a lot of torque placed on the boom under load.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Lemme rephrase... you cannot use the boomkicker as the ONLY support for your boom.
typically a topping lift or a halyard run aft of the boom holds the boom up when the sail is not hoisted. I always use a halyard, but then my boltrope is removed after each sail.

Otherwise an important handhold while under power alone goes away (as the boom won't support much weight under boomkicker alone).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.