Need fiberglass help - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-15-2019 Thread Starter

Need fiberglass help

My locker got damaged from an anchor bouncing around on the road, so that hole needs repairing. Also there is a hole to accommodate the scupper drain that I'd like to patch over. Since it's been a while since I have done fiberglass work just wanted to double check before starting.

The fiberglass is not very thick so I am not able to taper much, also since this is not a structural component I was thinking of just putting a piece of fiberglass cloth over each hole then coming back with matt to fill in the concave sections created.

Is there a better way to go about this?

Would polyester resin do okay here or should I use West Systems epoxy?

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-15-2019

Re: Need fiberglass help

In my experience polyester resin doesnít stick well to old polyester. I would definitely use epoxy of some sort and the West System product is my standard go-to. The simplicity of their 105/205 product with the calibrated pumps is hard to beat. Use 206 (slow) hardener for jobs likely to take more time.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-15-2019

IMO west system epoxy is really superior and thatís what I would use. Clean the surfaces really good and wipe with acetone. Use thickener when working with holes and vertical surfaces. I like to use silica, also from West system. Overlap the repair area with cloth. I prefer the woven fabric. Make sure itís saturated with resin and no air bubbles.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

post #4 of 9 Old 06-16-2019

I read an article recently where they tested the strength of epoxy vs. poly resin; and the expoxy resin was hands down stronger in secondary bonding (i.e. it sticks better to old stuff). Given that it's not a structural repair, that may not be that important, but since you'll have difficulty getting a large taper, it might actually be an important consideration.

As far as the rest of the plan. My experience is the best way is to make a thin sheet of fiberglass (like, 1 layer of glass fabric + resin) and once that's hard, cut it to shape and use thickened epoxy to attach it to the back side of the hole. Then add layers of cloth on the front till you're almost up to height. Wait for that to cure. If it seems strong enough, then move on to fairing and painting. If it seems flimsy, then add layers of glass to the back side until it's strong enough ... then fair and paint. Of course, that takes longer than doing it all in one go, but as a beginner, it gives me a lot of leeway to make mistakes and recover from them.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-16-2019
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Epoxy is much better IMHO. I use West. Their web site has many hints and tips and step by step guides.

Most chopped strand mat does not work with epoxy if planning to use CSM get the stuff that does work with epoxy.

If the surface finish matters learn how to use peel ply. IT IS MAGIC STUFF.

If it is not structural then any kind of tapered edges work , do both sides if possible.

If using a filler to thicken the epoxy micro balloons will sand easily silica will not.

Remember if you **** up totally it is no big deal just grind it off and do it again.

Last edited by TQA; 06-16-2019 at 12:18 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-16-2019 Thread Starter

Well I was watching a video from Boatworks today and he was using polyester resin, and then was also showing how to gelcoat. I figured it would be a good place to practice his techniques. I was aiming to use the poly resin but when I opened it the whole can was cured rock hard. So hear double checking my west systems approach. All my stuff is so old the hardener looks like molasses.

Jordan
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-16-2019 Thread Starter

First coat has been drying a few hours. I used West Systems slow hardener. Do I have to wait overnight to then scuff up to add the other layers or can I add them now?
Attached Thumbnails
20190616_111155.jpg  

Jordan
Oceanside CA
post #8 of 9 Old 06-16-2019
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

You can add extra layers now. In fact it is better as the new epoxy crosslinks with the stuff you have applied as long as it is green.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-16-2019

Tapering depends on thickness. A thinner section requires a smaller dimensional taper, even though the taper ratio is the same. Usually with thin glass, a sander will work well for tapering.

I don't have any issue with polyester on repairs like that, but the repair is so small that the difference in cost is minimal and the difference in properties isn't a concern. If you need to gelcoat over it, this is still possible with epoxy. Just key it up well before gelcoating because you will be relying on a mechanical bond rather than chemical. I've had good results with gelcoat over epoxy.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in