Precision 23 Gin Pole Mast Raising System - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-15-2019 Thread Starter

Precision 23 Gin Pole Mast Raising System

I am new here, or at least have not posted in a very long time, I forget which. In any event, I have owned several sailboats over the last 15 years since I began sailing, including an M-16 Scow, MacGregor 25, Flying Scot, Sirius 17, O'Day 20, Com-Pac 16, and recently purchased a 1994 Precision 23. I have typically slipped my bigger boats on Mille Lacs Lake in central Minnesota, which is what I plan to do with the P-23. I typically single-hand and like to be able to do it all by myself, including raising and lowering the mast, which on the P-23 is impossible without a mast raising system. After much research and finding no resources online, let alone made to order systems, but knowing the general concepts, I decided to build my own. Materials used include a ten foot section of conduit cut down to 8 feet, two eye bolts, two U-bolts, a section of 2x6 board notched out on one end to fit wround the mast step, and a couple bolts and nuts to connect the base of the board where its notched out to the mast step, through which I drilled two holes for connecting the gin pole to the step. To keep the mast from swaying while being raised I connected chains between the stanchions on each side of the boat that straddle the tabernacle, then used line tied to one chain perpendicular to the step, ran up to the mast about six feet where I wrapped it around and then ran it over to the other chain and tied it off at, again, a point perpendicular to the step pivot point. This is sort of a jury-rigged baby stay system, which is removed once the mast is raised. I connected the jib halyard to the aft eye-bolt at the end of the gin pole, making sure the angle between the pole and mast was slightly less than 90 degrees. I also used my main sheet system for mechanical advantage, connected between the bow and forward eye bolt on the gin pole. I tested the system out today and it works pretty well, though I think I am going to flip the system over from now on so the pole ends up on the top of the 2x6 board once the mast is raised, as today I damaged my connector plug for my mast light and need to fix it now. These pictures illustrate what I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Eye-bolts_gin-pole.jpg   Filing_gin-pole.jpg   U-bolts_2x6.jpg   gin-pole_attached.jpg   upper_end_gin-pole_mast-raised.jpg  

jblumhorst, Minnesail and JimBrown like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-15-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Precision 23 Gin Pole Mast Raising System

A couple more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
mast-raised.jpg   Tabernacle-gin-pole.jpg  
Minnesail likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-17-2019

Where on Mille Lacs?

When I got my 22 I considered Mac's Twin Bay, but ended up keeping the boat in town on Lake Nokomis. But I would like to trailer up and check out Mille Lacs sometime.

How's the sailing up there? I imagine the wind can really build up. It's a big lake.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

post #4 of 12 Old 06-17-2019 Thread Starter

The sailing is great since its wide open. You can set the sails and concentrate on steering and making a few sail adjustments here and there, and just sail across the lake, which can take a couple of hours or more. I try to avoid going out when its rough, but have been caught out in it a time or two. I sail out of the West side, just South of Garrison, so with the prevailing winds being from the NW the fetch is short and the waves usually not too bad where I am, but if its reversed and coming from the South or SE, they can build up to some nice rollers.
Minnesail likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-17-2019

Thank you, Jonny. I have a similar situation, just bought a 1986 Precision 23 in good condition, but no mast raising system. I am familiar with MacGregor and Corsair 31. The Corsair system is even simpler, no lines attached to the top of the pole, only a fork at the top. You can see it here:

But for a relatively light mast on Precision 23 this is great.
jblumhorst likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-17-2019
Barquito

Raising and lowering the mast on our Catalina 22 was usually the most hair-raising thing we did all year. Good to see your system works.

Valiant 32
post #7 of 12 Old 06-18-2019
Sailnet Vendor

Dock

The more recent Corsair/Farrier mast raising systems have changed. there are indeed wires attached to the end of the gin pole to prevent the mast from rotating on its axis if it sways in a side wind. If the mast rotates as it sways laterally a foot or more in s cross wind, the gin pole is pulled out of column, and that can cause the gin pole to buckle.

Here are some links to the newer Farrier 2018 F22 mast raising system.

One of the nicest features of the system is that it effortlessly handles the furler.

And here are three short videos on a similar system I built for my 1992 F24, mostly using stuff we had hanging around. Watch how the system controls the furler extrusion during mast raising or lowering.

Judy

Judy B
San Francisco Bay and Delta
F24 Trimaran

Last edited by jblumhorst; 06-18-2019 at 04:31 PM. Reason: fixed video embed code
post #8 of 12 Old 07-16-2019

I tried to post an improved version of jonnyonthespot, but I need to have 5 posts in order to add links, images. Crazy.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-16-2019

OK, so this is my 3rd post. That's not helping any one. 5 posts? I am trying to be helpful.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-16-2019

post No. 4. Does't make sense to post nonsense, in order to post the real thing?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in