We don't have to do Everything ourself. - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Dock
We don't have to do Everything ourself.

There's things I can do and things I know I can't. As Dirty Harry said "A man's gotta know his limitations".

The pic below is of one of my lazarettes.
We needed to cut the back of it twice: the large cut on the left to install the davits a few years ago. The small cut made today, on the right, to replace a mooring cleat.

(yes, Beneteau changed the design later to you could get to the bolts).

As you do, I hate the thought of cutting my boat!

Today's job is obviously by an expert surgeon key-hole operator.
I sure don't mind paying for that tiny incision
Attached Thumbnails
tmp-cam-8829476657413954239.jpg  

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: We don't have to do Everything ourself.

And I thought access was bad on my boat ...
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Old soul

I really hate cutting new holes in my boat. Once took me a week of humming and hawing to get up the gumption to drill a 3 cm hole in my cabin so I could run radar cabling. Finally took a neighbour to come over, point at the spot and command: DRILL HERE! Ö I think he was tired of me whining about the job

I donít have the luxury of being able to hire out much, but when it comes to serious diesel engine work, I usually turn to the experts. Iím OK figuring out most electrical, plumbing and fibreglass tasks, but that big hunk of iron still intimidates me.
MarkofSeaLife and BillMoran like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Refrigeration. Thatís my biggest boat yard vulnerability. I understand the principles, but donít have the tools or training. I know just enough to know that popping in a DIY disposable can of refrigerant isnít the way to go.

I had a buddy, in the construction business, say to me once..... ďeverything can be fixed with moneyĒ. It wasnít a snotty wealth concept, he wasnít rolling in it. He meant to have some courage, because your mistakes can be fixed. Youíll make fewer than you expect. When you do, suck it up to the price of an education.
MarkofSeaLife and BillMoran like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Is the person who cut that 1st hole still alive...
post #6 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I used to do everything from drilling thru hull holes below the water line (that was perhaps the most emotionally draining task ever) to painting the bottom. I remember sanding bottom paint and ending up looking like smurf. I'm sure that will extend my lifespan .

As I get older, the tasks that require a contortionist and/or involve other extreme unpleasantness, I am willing to pay for.

But when you can do it, there is something really satisfying about fixing it yourself, and when I was younger the do it yourself boat yard routine in the spring was something to look forward to. You'd run into your old friends, compare notes, paint the bottom, and have a beer.
post #7 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Over the course of the last year, the refit has taught me that as well. We hired someone to help us with the engine. He not only did the work but also explained what he was doing and why and gave us some advice moving forwards. I don't mind paying for a little bit of knowledge and an expert to handle things like electronics and an engine. We have learned a lot and do a lot ourselves, but some things are better left to the experts.

I just posted about the worst boat project. Bottom job. Never again.
post #8 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

That's funny - cutting holes in the boat is something I never think twice about (I measure twice, though). Michele, on the other hand, can't take it. I needed to cut a 5'x2.5' hole in our new boat last week, as well as doing some other similar surgery, and she ran off to visit her family for 2 weeks so she didn't experience it.

As for doing everything ourself, I have been tempted to start a thread detailing all of the "professionally performed" work and additions I have been finding on our new boat. They just reinforce my belief that I am the best person to do all the work on our boat.

One example I just found because I cut a big hole in the boat and could actually see/access it for the first time - apparently, the engine anti-syphon valves were leaking in the past (there was salt crud in the valves) so the PO hired a professional marine mechanic to solve the problem. His solution was to pump the valves full of silicone so they don't leak again. I have the receipt.

Mark
capecodda and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

post #9 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I forgot. Sanding the bottom is the single job we hire out. I'm done with that. I don't mind painting, and can do that quickly and cleanly, but no more sanding for me.

If we were ever to detail our boat (compound and wax) we would also hire that out. I'm done with that too.

Mark
capecodda and MarkofSeaLife like this.

post #10 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Oops, I forgot. Here in crappy water (literally), we hire a diver every few months to clean the bottom. In nicer water, I'm fine with that.

Mark
capecodda likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in