Worst boat project? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago
The bow is the pointy end

Re: Worst boat project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABRsailing View Post
And what is your worst boat project that you would never do again?
Replaced a ruptured holding tank and all of my sanitation lines, plus rebuilt two manual heads...never again. I wrote about it with lovely pictures. I actually had to throw away the clothes I was wearing.

svartemis.blog
Minnesail and PhilCarlson like this.

svartemis.wordpress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Stripping the bottom paint has got my vote. Never done the entire bottom, but have done keel, rudder, and few sections that were flaking badly. So enough experience to know I would never do the entire bottom myself.

I am past 70 and still sand and paint my own bottom each spring. Not my favorite job, but I've done it for so many years I have it down pretty well. Tried the drywall sander one year and was not impressed. A random orbital that collects the dust and a full suit, mask, etc. keeps me pretty clean.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #13 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
How to make sanding the bottom much easier.

Buy an articulating drywall sanding head. This mounts on a pole. Get a 6 ft - 7 ft pole. Use 80 grit wet and dry.

Bucket of water with a drop of washing up liquid.
I use that device but have drilled two holes through the pad. Screwed in two nozzles from a garden micro-sprayer system that tees to a pipe up that runs up the pole and connects to a garden hose. If using the sanding grids, nothing further is needed. If using sand paper, make two holes in the paper to align with the water holes.

Turn the faucet on to a slow feed and the sanding medium will be kept clog-free through the whole process. I can sand my whole boat (44ft) thoroughly in three hours using just one sheet of 80 grit paper.

Unfortunately many yards in NZ including our local, will no longer permit wet sanding as the hardstand is not impervious. So now I use a shopvac and a palm sander but itís a lot more arduous - I may get someone else to do it next time. 😉

My worst project? Lifting the engine inside the engine room, removing the bell housing and transmission, removing the sump and doing new gaskets all round to stop a continuous oil leak into my bilge. This all started with a very unique problem that Yanmar say they have never seen before.
RegisteredUser likes this.

post #14 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago

GREETINGS EARTHLINGS :Having got my boat and had a good look round the wiring caused me some concern. all the same colour and all the same size not labelled took the side cutters and cut the lot of them BIG MISTAKE should have label's or coloured them all before hand. but now have red lights and new LED light everywhere including the cupboards and lockers. It was a Rats Nest of wire some of it heat damaged BUT NOT NOW SUCH A PAIN IN THE RUMP
Minnesail likes this.
post #15 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Exhaust hose replacement in a aft cockpit boat. First, empty out the cockpit lockers. Then, climb into the coffin. Then struggle mightily to remove the old hose - aka - boa constrictor while lying in the coffin. Then replace with new hose.

2 days of living in a coffin doing work where whenever you pull on something, and it eventually after hours of effort gives, your hand smacks into some other hard object. All on your back.

I was much younger then.
post #16 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Really the worst is needing 2 people and only having ...yourself...
post #17 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I use two-year ablative paints, and with a little scrubbing toward the end, there is no build-up. A little scratch sand and slap on two coats. Really, it is one of the easier, more predicable jobs. Piece of cake and way too easy to sub out. (My last boat was a cruising cat)

Least favorite? Inboard engine swaps, particularly in the summer.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #18 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Really the worst is needing 2 people and only having ...yourself...
No, no, no. These are opportunities to dust off the old creativity. I've made all sorts of rube goldberg devices using levers and trips and pushrods, etc to accomplish things by myself that should have required 2 or 3 people.

It is satisfying when you start a marble rolling on one end, pull on a bail in the middle just as the mousetrap is springing the lever, then swing over to the other end on a rope and stomp down on a pad right as the weight slides in on the carefully calibrated sanded friction board - and the whole work piece falls right in where you wanted it.

The smugness you get to feel when your wife comes back and asks how the hell you got that done is priceless.

Mark
RegisteredUser likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

post #19 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Hey,

I would gladly pay someone to sand the bottom - but no one else wants to do that job either. And in the spring,when it's time to do it, there are like 500 other boats getting the same work done. So I grin (or cry) and bear it. Using ablative, and painting every other year helps, but it still sucks.

Worst job: Replacing a macerator.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

post #20 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago

So ziptie the end of vise grip to toe rail above deck with 1/2 your torso below inside the chain locker is good form....
I need to better understand the art of bribery

Last edited by RegisteredUser; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:04 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in