Worst boat project? - SailNet Community
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 06-17-2019 Thread Starter

Worst boat project?

Upon completion of our bottom job my husband and I agreed that this was the absolute last time we were ever going to touch anti-fouling bottom paint in our lives. Calculated out the cost... stashing away $50 a month for 5 years (about how long we think we can make our hard bottom paint last) we'll have a pretty good chunk of change to just throw at a yard to get it done for us.

So...
Do you do your own bottom paint? Sanding? What type do you use?
And what is your worst boat project that you would never do again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 06-17-2019

Re: Worst boat project?

We hire out sanding now - done with that. I don't mind painting and can do it quickly and cleanly.

I won't do any detailing anymore. Tired of slinging a polisher over my head in the hot sun.

5yrs would be extraordinary life for any bottom paint, unless you are in a low-fouling area or hauled out part time.

Worst boat project is difficult to define. Some of the seemingly smallest, easiest stuff can turn into a nightmare of worst project ever. I just had to run a 10' wire through our overhead that turned into a 4-day swearathon and made my list of one of the worst jobs I've ever had to do.

Dirtiest, or most difficult, or most back-breaking are easier to define.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
post #3 of 36 Old 06-17-2019

It is a toss up between sanding the bottom and having to upgrade the transmission in the wife's Jeep to tow it.

The sanding is just a pain in the a$$. I wouldn't mind the trans work, but she doesn't let me drive it unless we are towing.
sailforlife likes this.

post #4 of 36 Old 06-17-2019

Dock

That's easy. A while back a friend's young daughter pumped a baby wipe down the head.

I discovered it when the manual overboard pump seized up.

Fun fact: When this happens, the pump body is pressurized, resulting in little jets of blackwater as you loosen the screws.

Nasty, nasty, nasty, nasty, nasty.
The Following User Says Thank You to PhilCarlson For This Useful Post:
sailforlife (06-17-2019)
post #5 of 36 Old 06-17-2019
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

How to make sanding the bottom much easier.

Buy an articulating drywall sanding head. This mounts on a pole. Get a 6 ft - 7 ft pole. Use 80 grit wet and dry.

Bucket of water with a drop of washing up liquid. You can now stand up with two hands on the pole and sand the bottom with long strokes dipping the head in the bucket to keep the work area wet. No bending down or working above your head.

I am a creaky old fart and there is no way I could hand sand the bottom working from below with the sanding block above my head. With this I can sand the bottom of my 44 ft mono in a couple of hours.
Attached Thumbnails
drywall-sander.jpg  
JimMcGee, SanderO, davidpm and 2 others like this.

Last edited by TQA; 06-17-2019 at 01:18 PM.
post #6 of 36 Old 06-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post

Buy an articulating drywall sanding head. This mounts on a pole. Get a 6 ft - 7 ft pole. Use 80 grit wet and dry.

Bucket of water with a drop of washing up liquid. You can now stand up with two hands on the pole and sand the bottom with long strokes dipping the head in the bucket to keep the work area wet. No bending down or working above your head.

I am a creaky old fart and there is no way I could hand sand the bottom working from below with the sanding block above my head. With this I can sand the bottom of my 44 ft mono in a couple of hours.
This is exactly what I do, and it's every bit as easy as TQA says. Works great with ablative paint, but not so sure how well it would work with hard paint.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #7 of 36 Old 06-17-2019

I use ablative paint, and don't sand every time I paint. A good pressure wash, and a fresh coat of paint. Job done. I typically get 2-3 years out of a coat. Once in a while I do sand. Then I use a random orbital sander with a shop vac attached. While other guys in the yard ended up covered head to toe in paint dust, I ended up with a garbage bag full of paint dust!

As for the worst job...it has to be replacing the entire septic system in my last boat. The worst part was not the smell, it was replacing the hoses. They were routed through tight spaces, and any time they passed through a bulkhead or wood structure the holes were almost exactly the outside diameter of the hose. I spent hours contorted in tight spots, arms extended, moving hose 1/2" at a time. I was in pain for a week afterwards!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
JimMcGee and CalebD like this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #8 of 36 Old 06-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post

This is also what I used to use, only I would use coarse drywall mesh screens instead of paper - they last longer and don't clog up.

However, I find that it is only good for light sanding. Basically prepping a good bottom for another coat. Actually removing any previous paint, or fairing out damaged paint requires more work than this allows.

Mark
JimMcGee and CalebD like this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #9 of 36 Old 06-17-2019

I ripped out my traditional marine head and replaced it with a composting head. Installing the new head was pretty easy.

Removing the old head was inconceivably foul. This was after I'd tried my best to flush out the holding tank at the pump out station. I'm so glad I installed a composting head, as I never want to be anywhere near blackwater again.
post #10 of 36 Old 06-17-2019

The worst boat project is whichever one you happen to be working on at the time.
That's just the way they roll.
CalebD and Tuna Driver like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in