Cheap Dock Wheel? - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By fallard

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-18-2019 Thread Starter

Cheap Dock Wheel?

On a few docks near me, I see that several owners have installed plastic wheels on the corners of their docks to minimize the risk any hull damage when entering or exiting their slips.

West Marine sell them for crazy money...
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/taylo...05_157_006_507

For me, due to prevailing winds, I don't have an issue with my dock but the round post thats between me and the next slip for tying up the stern of the boat.

At Harbor Freight, you can get a complete 10" pneumatic wheel and hub for $6.
https://www.harborfreight.com/10-inc...ire-30900.html
Yes, it is black rubber and there is a chance it could leave a mark, but that would be far less than scraping down the side of the post. All I need to do is come up with a simple bracket.

Anyone done anything similar?
Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-18-2019

Re: Cheap Dock Wheel?

Can you drop a used tire over the post...hang it to height needed.
Wrap in carpet if it causes black marks
post #3 of 7 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Can’t be hard to source a white tire. Google.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 7 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_P View Post
On a few docks near me, I see that several owners have installed plastic wheels on the corners of their docks to minimize the risk any hull damage when entering or exiting their slips.

West Marine sell them for crazy money...
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/taylo...05_157_006_507

For me, due to prevailing winds, I don't have an issue with my dock but the round post thats between me and the next slip for tying up the stern of the boat.

At Harbor Freight, you can get a complete 10" pneumatic wheel and hub for $6.
https://www.harborfreight.com/10-inc...ire-30900.html
Yes, it is black rubber and there is a chance it could leave a mark, but that would be far less than scraping down the side of the post. All I need to do is come up with a simple bracket.

Anyone done anything similar?
Robert
Just a quick thought, that pressed metal wheel that you link to would, at a guess last about 6 months in the application you propose, exposed bearings and all. Black tyre marks would be the least of your worries I would think.
I guess that there is a reason that the purpose designed units are priced as they are.

Cheers, Uncle Bob the 1st from Sydney Aust.
post #5 of 7 Old 4 Weeks Ago

You'll have make a bracket/axle for the wheel. Unless you have a welder, steel plate and rod and galvanizing ability aren't going to be cheap to make. As others have pointed out, the steel wheel and bearings of the wheel aren't ready for a salt environment.

Try Defender.com. Bought mine from them way cheaper. They come in sizes, if you don't need the 12" size can save money going with the 9 size.
post #6 of 7 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Old as Dirt!

See Fender Wheels.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #7 of 7 Old 4 Weeks Ago

The Taylor wheels are inflated to very low pressure to provide a soft “landing” when your boat bears down on them. After a few years—despite their white color—they will leave marks on your hull. These marks are a form of dirt that can be scrubbed off.

However, I found a textile cover at the Newport Boat Show a number of years ago and it has worked like a charm. I don’t recall the manufacturer name, but it should be searchable on the internet.

When all is said and done, there may be cheaper ways to do a dock wheel, but the Taylor dock wheel, like my 12” version shown in the thumbnail, is cheap enough compared to other boat stuff and it does a proper job, especially with the cover (which is made of something like outdoor carpet.)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0047.jpeg  
chef2sail likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in