Anyone Have Any Experience With RaptorDeck? - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SV Siren

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Anyone Have Any Experience With RaptorDeck?

Looking into all my options for the deck and cockpit of Cuajota. The deck is in decent shape especially for a 45 year old boat. My thoughts are to fix a few spots in the cockpit and repaint. I ran across this company that does a custom deck covering. They have different colors, thicknesses and patterns. I think looks great, especially for the nonskid areas (would still need to paint the other areas). My questions were on how it holds up over time and how it looks on a cruising boat after a while. Anyone have any person experience with them? I have contacted the company and I am waiting to get more info on the decks. Here are some pics...

S/V Cuajota - 1975 WD Schock Santana 30

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NewportNewbie; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: Anyone Have Any Experience With RaptorDeck?

You mean the synthetic decking material right?

No need for the adhesive used to be customized?
post #3 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
You mean the synthetic decking material right?

No need for the adhesive used to be customized?
Yes the synthetic deck...

S/V Cuajota - 1975 WD Schock Santana 30

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
Yes the synthetic deck...
This is EVA foam, like Seadek, which is quite different from synthetic teak.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #5 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Certainly looks good in the pictures and seems very inexpensive. I have to believe you get the long term durability you pay for, or it would take over the world. I find it hard to believe a peel and stick deck will last, but I have zero experience with it.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Certainly looks good in the pictures and seems very inexpensive. I have to believe you get the long term durability you pay for, or it would take over the world. I find it hard to believe a peel and stick deck will last, but I have zero experience with it.
I have a peel and stick "tread" on the forward end / top of coaming port and starboard. Been there for many years and no sign or wear or peeling away. It's about 1/4" oal thickness... gray... You can see it in the attached pic.

A problem I see is that to get this to adhere it needs to be a smooth surface... and most decks have some sort of non skid already... and that has to be dealt with.. sanded or whatever. My deck, for example has a raised diamond pattern in the gelcoat which is hardly non skid... but better than smooth gelgoat. Prepping my decks would be a major and messy project. I don't care for fake anything so the pattern and color that I have on those small bits is what I would use.
Attached Thumbnails
20160703_163704_001.jpg  

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #7 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago
1968 Columbia 50

It's a pretty cool product, and it is very soft on the skin, "like foam", especially when compared to Treadmaster. The thing that friends of mine have noticed is that they get about 3 years or so of life out of it, and it starts getting powdery and breaks down over time, necessitating replacement. If you cover it with something like an awning, and keep it out of the sun, it lasts longer.

Most racers I have talked to, and online, seem to prefer Hydroturf (https://www.hydroturf.com/hydro-request-boating). It seems to last longer, and uses a 3M adhesive which holds up really well, they report not having to replace nearly as often. Now Hydroturf is a DIY job, so you will have to template it yourself. One suggestion for Hydroturf is to cut it on a bevel, much like picture framers do with matting, it save wear and tear, as well as not having a sharp edge for the material.
SanderO likes this.

S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
post #8 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Administrator

I raced on a J-70 that had the gray material that probably was RaptorDeck. The deck was roughly 5 years old when the sold the boat. It definitely had a lot of hard use and it held up well, basically looking new when the boat was sold. That boat was in Annapolis and was under cover most of the time that it was not in use. We never saw an adhesion problem. I will say that it was comfortable to sit on and felt much cooler to the touch than the fiberglass in summer. Shoe grip was excellent. The faux teak color was pretty convincing from perhaps 6-10 feet away, but philosophically the faux teak was not as appealing to me as the gray since the gray does not pretend to be something it isn't.

The stuff really was comfortable, so much so that we jokingly referred to sitting on the cockpit sole in light air as "lounging in the living room recliner."

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in