Revisiting tether padeye choices - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Revisiting tether padeye choices

As I’m going through my safety equipment I decided to spend some more time on my cockpit tether arrangement and set it up better. I currently have jacklines attached to solid points running fore and aft and like the arrangement. However my cockpit is definitely not up to spec.

I spent some time reading the circa 2012 SNet thread on padeye working loads and while helpful, I still have some concerns.

I’ve been on boats that had cockpit tether points on binnacles, stanchions and everything in between. My boat, being tiller equipped offers few options that allow for free movement within the cockpit while still only allowing me to be thrown to the gunwales.

What I want to do, based on my measurements, is attach a folding padeye, center cockpit in a reinforced section with a substantial backing plate through bolted underneath. Based on my tether length this would allow for clipping in once past my Bridgedeck and allow movement to all corners while not allowing me to go further than the edge of the aft deck and to the lifelines. My jacklines start just aft of the Dodger so switching from the cockpit padeye to jacklines can be done without moving anywhere.

My concern is the load ratings of folding padeyes. ISF isn’t as clear as to guide me towards a solution. The padeye must be able to fold flat when not in use due to its location in the middle of the cockpit forward of the rudder shaft/tiller.

From what I understood, the load must be able to handle crew weight x 10. Given I’ve got a small boat, that means 4000lbs to cover all bases.

Thoughts on using a folding padeye that meets these requirements? Has anything changed since the last discussion in 2012? Thoughts in general?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: Revisiting tether padeye choices

1/2" eye bolt beside companionway might do same thing.
oysterman23 likes this.
post #3 of 42 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
1/2" eye bolt beside companionway might do same thing.
The issue I had with that was that by clipping in at the companionway, anything aft of the Dodger to the Spinn winches would allow for someone to go all the way over the side before hitting the end of the tether. Being I singlehand often, Is rather not end up hanging along the bootstripe while being dragged along. Worst case obviously but that’s why I’m trying to sort this out.

SV Salinity
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 42 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

A sistership of mine had the clip on point at the base of the pedestal. It worked out well regarding length and movement. The point I’m considering would put the folding eye close to that area; being a tiller boat though there is no pedestal.....

SV Salinity
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 42 Old 3 Weeks Ago

We have two pads (fore and aft) on the side of the cockpit settees seats. Have run dyneema line between them. This allows you to clip right at the companionway but still go aft to the stern without uncliipping. Kind of like a very short jack line. Something similar may solve your problem.
wymbly1971 likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #6 of 42 Old 3 Weeks Ago

From a casual study of overboard situations, there were a surprising number of MOB's from individuals exiting the cabin but not hooking up before or just as they were on deck. Boat lurched, jibed or whatever and they went over board before they had a chance to hook up. Personally, I have a tether that I disconnect from my harness after I'm on the ladder in the companionway when going below and before I get on deck. A short tether that is an addition to your moving about tether is advisable. You could either have it clipped to wherever and unclip from your harness when more space needed or use a double hook tether and attach the short hook when it's best. You can be anal about having a short tether but when things get crappy and seas are rough constantly unhooking and hooking your tether is not only a PITA but dangerous.
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #7 of 42 Old 3 Weeks Ago

This would be a situation, IMHO of course, for buying the real "Wichard" product, rather than a knock-off.

Just one of several links: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/wicha...02_060_007_535

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon
post #8 of 42 Old 3 Weeks Ago

I have a set up for a pair of lines in the cockpit. The heavy pad eyes are located at each side of the companionway w/ backing plates ... and at the rear of the cockpit well behind and below the helm and thy too have backing plates.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #9 of 42 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Ok so what many of you have done is basically installed short jacklines in the cockpit and/or multiple padeyes and/or have a short and long tether.

I’m with all of you regarding clipping in as you exit or before you fully enter the cockpit. The way my cockpit and companionway are set up, by doing so I’d loose the ability to adjust SSteering lines/paddle without switching to another tether. I was trying to simplify the situation by mounting a folding eye mid way through the cockpit. My cockpit well is not large (T34C) so the distance isn’t that far. However the bridge deck is deep so to clip on at my proposed point I’d be fully in the cockpit by then. I’ll sit down and think this thru again.

My main concern is load and breaking load of folding padeyes. I was looking at Harken gear and forgot about Wichard even though they were mentioned x100 in the 12’ thread. 🤓

I can easily fit the Wichard 451781 large folding padeye with a breaking strength of 19840......the Harken was around 3500 I think. I’d like to think of I’m subjected to almost 20k of force, falling off the boat would be a moot point....

Apologize for the discombobulated posts here, I’m just trying to find a better, more efficient way to set this boat up. The center mounted padeye solves the tether to the gunwales + being able to work my equipment issue + switching from cockpit to side deck jacklines, but creates a new one by not clipping in while on the companionway steps. On my last boat all the sail controls were fwd so it wasn’t an issue.

Gonna run this through the T34OAss as well to see more of what others have done.

Also, so using a “folding” Wichard padeye for a tether is ok?

SV Salinity
post #10 of 42 Old 3 Weeks Ago

jack lines get in the way... but that's a price you pay for safety.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in