Prop and propshaft antifouling - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Prop and propshaft antifouling

On my last boat I didn't worry too much about putting antifouling on the prop. I could see it and clean it from the dock. Every time the boat came out of the water I polished everything up and gave it a liberal coat of vaseline which kept it from fouling for quite a few months. After that I just put on the mask and snorkel and scrubbed it once in a while.

Now that I have a bigger boat the prop and propshaft are a bit harder to get at. Rather than floating on the surface breathing through the snorkel while I worked it now takes quite a few dives under the boat to get the growth cleaned up.

I am planning to upgrade to a folding prop the next time the boat comes out of the water, and I am thinking perhaps it is time to look into different antifouling options for my metal surfaces. I am wondering what others use that works well on props and propshaft.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: Prop and propshaft antifouling

I spray prop with some gray colored anti fouling spray paint... can't recall the name... when I do... I will post it. It's quite effective.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #3 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Honestly, I've never found anything that will stay on a prop if you use it frequently. In Oz we chromed our props on the sportfishing boats, mainly to attract fish, but as chrome is pretty slippery stuff and we ran 6 or 7 days a week, often at 20+ knots, I thought the props would remain growth free. No such luck.
So, as I have been doing since 1969, I just clean up my running gear really well and paint it with the regular bottom paint, and when it wears off, it's worn off, and that's why we bought a Sea Breathe deck snorkel.
A factory rep prepped and painted the running gear with Prop Speed one year, but we didn't find it any more effective or long-lasting than bottom paint, so we don't use it.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dock

I like to sand the prop down to clean metal, apply 2 coats of the Interprotect 2000 barrier coat, then apply 2-3 coats of a hard bottom paint. Works awesome, even if the boat sits for a few months.

I tried the Petit Barnacle Buster spray a few years ago with no luck - lots of hard growth after 6 months, even with using the boat fairly regularly.

I sail mostly in Florida.

Andy
Cruising
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #5 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Don't apply standard copper paint directly to your prop or shaft. It could promote corrosion. Use an antifouling paint meant for metals or apply a barrier coat to the prop and shaft first to isolate the two dissimilar metals from each other. But make sure your zincs make direct contact with the metal.

It is difficult to get paint last on your running gear. There are a few types of antifouling paint specifically designed specifically for this application. The most popular here in the US is called Prop Speed. I think Interlux makes another. The one thing they all have in common is that they are more expensive than gold, and they still wear off. I have found that a fresh barrier coat helps the paint to adhere.
post #6 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago

I use the Petit 1792 Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier with great results.
post #7 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
bell ringer

I’ve used the spray Barncale Buster for the last 6-7 years. It has done well and I went 33 months recently and prop did well. My current application is only 4 months old and hasn’t been impressive
bigdogandy likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

Last edited by Don0190; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:51 AM.
post #8 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Gannon View Post
Don't apply standard copper paint directly to your prop or shaft. It could promote corrosion. .
You know, I've seen others post this and I can't imagine where this "worry" comes from.
I have personally painted the running gear (and bronze thru-hulls) on hundreds of wood and glass boats since 1969 and have never seen any sign of reaction between any antifouling paint and the metals of the running gear.
I'm talking about boats as old as 1906 with I'm positive at least some 90-year-old bronze and a boat I owned and sailed through the SoPac in the '70s, launched in 1909, with lots of original bronze.
All the old timers I knew who worked in the boatyards in the '60s & '70s had been applying antifouling paint straight on the running gear for many decades.
Sorry, but I wouldn't waste one fraction of a second worrying about this as a potential problem.
overthehorizon likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #9 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Prop Speed ....excellent results. Applied every three years

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #10 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

It doesn't last a particularly long time but nothing works better than Propspeed.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in