• 1 Post By Capt Len
  • 1 Post By fmueller
  • 1 Post By colemj
  • 1 Post By DinghyRace

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-27-2019 Thread Starter

Electricity is so weird

Electricity is so weird.

I bought a rocker switch voltage meter that to measure two different voltage sources. When it arrived I noticed it had two positive leads and only one negative lead. Huh.

I have three different voltages in my system. The voltage coming out of the solar panel, the voltage that the solar controller is applying to the 24v battery bank (or if not charging, the resting voltage of the battery bank), and the 12v coming out of my DC-to-DC converter.

And sure enough, it doesn’t matter where I put the negative lead. You can put the negative lead on any negative part of my system, and it will read the voltage of where the positive lead is.

Huh.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 3.21.55 PM.jpg  

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-27-2019

Re: Electricity is so weird

Not so strange because if your boat is wired correctly, the ground reference for everything goes to a single point.

Think of it this way: 12V, 24V, 17V, etc are all different voltages, but each are referenced to 0V, 0V, 0V, etc - which are all the same voltages.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
post #3 of 9 Old 06-27-2019

Back a while when things were 6 volt ,my dad ,who was handy but short on theory, needed12v for a new fangled radio. Connected up a second generator to charge the other battery. Output + went to old ground and new neg was separate and 12v below the existing + of existing battery,Voila ! 12 volts Radio worked good but zincs bubbled a bit.
Minnesail likes this.

post #4 of 9 Old 06-27-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Not so strange because if your boat is wired correctly, the ground reference for everything goes to a single point.

Think of it this way: 12V, 24V, 17V, etc are all different voltages, but each are referenced to 0V, 0V, 0V, etc - which are all the same voltages.

Mark

Now I'm wondering if I am wired correctly. I don't have any one ground. I'm wired like in the diagram: two wires out of solar panel to controller, two wires out of controller to battery and DC-to-DC converter, two wires out of converter to house bank.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #5 of 9 Old 06-27-2019

Your solar charge controller (and DC converter) will likely have a common negative (ground) bus. So though you land the two black wires on different terminals, they are actually common.

If you are not sure, lift the wires and measure continuity from PV- to battery-.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Minnesail likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-28-2019

There is almost assuredly a common ground reference point on the boat. The engine is always a good bet.

Mark
SanderO likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #7 of 9 Old 06-28-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
There is almost assuredly a common ground reference point on the boat. The engine is always a good bet.

Mark
It's a Catalina 22 no engine.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #8 of 9 Old 06-28-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmueller View Post
Your solar charge controller (and DC converter) will likely have a common negative (ground) bus. So though you land the two black wires on different terminals, they are actually common.

If you are not sure, lift the wires and measure continuity from PV- to battery-.

Interesting. So although both my solar controller and my DC-to-DC converter have a negative in and a negative out, you're saying they're probably common. So the system would probably work if I connected both negatives to either terminal. Huh.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #9 of 9 Old 06-28-2019

Electricity is so weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
It's a Catalina 22 no engine.

... and no metal hull. A “common reference” is a matter of theory, on a plastic boat.

By your OP, it’s clear that all components in the system are tying the incoming to outgoing negative, treating it as a common node. Nothing surprising, there... these components are designed with the assumption they may be mounted into some vehicle with a metal negative-ground hull.

MSEE
Minnesail likes this.

Last edited by DinghyRace; 06-28-2019 at 02:07 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in