Windless Issues - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By colemj

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Windless Issues

I took out a charter boat last weekend that had the windless pictured below.

It was wired in such a way so that the only way it would work is with the engine on.

I asked the briefer about how to drop the anchor if the engine fails.

He said something about using a winch handle but I tried that and the plug on top would come out but it was not clear what it does.

Does anyone know how this model works manually?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190623_163426.jpg   IMG_20190623_163424.jpg   IMG_20190623_163419.jpg  

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: Windless Issues

No idea David but that sure is a crazy design. Why wasn't the windlass mounted aft of the locker... maybe two lip doors... and have the chain run around the windlass and down into a hawser hole for the chain to drop inside the locker? Instead of a windlass hole there would be a windlass structure on the fore deck. I realize that this is not the question but I see many boats / complaints about inadequate provision for a windlass and rode (chain). It's almost as if anchoring is not part of cruising.

There is very volume at the pointy end. This suggests that the anchor shank should occupy this area... on the deck... with the windlass aft of that. The more aft the windlass is placed.. the more volume and drop for the rode exists. Of course for a small boat this volume eats into V berth (foot room). So I am thinking that a proper anchoring set up may require a minimum LOA so there is adequate volume/real estate. I must be lucky for the designer of the Contest36 got this right. However if I want to use an anchor with a longer shank than the one I use.... I have to move the bow roller forward.

Anchoring seems to be almost an after thought in many boats. But this one the architect cam up with a bizarre design in my opinion. It could work better with perhaps a different windlass.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #3 of 8 Old 2 Weeks Ago

You can disengage the clutch and pull the chain up by hand or release it. I do it all the time.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

post #4 of 8 Old 2 Weeks Ago

On mine, the clutch is disengaged by turning the central post counter clockwise with a winch handle.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #5 of 8 Old 2 Weeks Ago

The windlass is mounted aft of the chain locker with a chain fall into it from what I see.

Those typically work in one of two ways. Some models work by just inserting a winch handle and cranking it in. Turning it one way loosens the clutch for free fall (and removes the cap if turned too much), but the other way tightens the clutch and pulls the chain in. Other models require an emergency kit where the cap and gypsy is removed, the emergency piece fit on the shaft, and a winch handle is used with the emergency kit.

Mark
SanderO likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The windlass is mounted aft of the chain locker with a chain fall into it from what I see.

Those typically work in one of two ways. Some models work by just inserting a winch handle and cranking it in. Turning it one way loosens the clutch for free fall (and removes the cap if turned too much), but the other way tightens the clutch and pulls the chain in. Other models require an emergency kit where the cap and gypsy is removed, the emergency piece fit on the shaft, and a winch handle is used with the emergency kit.

Mark
That's what I thought.

I turned the cap until it came out and it did not seem to release the clutch.

Maybe this model requires the emergency kit.

post #7 of 8 Old 2 Weeks Ago
S/V Caper Nonsuch 36

David, that looks like a Lewmar with several missing parts like like the stripper arm, cover, and lock out pawl, etc. To free fall, as described earlier, loosen slightly, the cones inside should slip, and the gypsy turn freely, reverse to manually hoist. Looks like lots of deferred maintenance there, perhaps the tapered cones are corroded together, use a bigger hammer next time.
The Following User Says Thank You to flyrod For This Useful Post:
davidpm (2 Weeks Ago)
post #8 of 8 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrod View Post
David, that looks like a Lewmar with several missing parts like like the stripper arm, cover, and lock out pawl, etc. To free fall, as described earlier, loosen slightly, the cones inside should slip, and the gypsy turn freely, reverse to manually hoist. Looks like lots of deferred maintenance there, perhaps the tapered cones are corroded together, use a bigger hammer next time.
This is a charter boat that I only infrequently sail so I'm not authorized to do any service on it.

Thanks for the info, I might pass it on but the guy gets cranky when I say anything about his boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in