Maintenance, Repair, and To-do logs. How do you do it? - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Maintenance, Repair, and To-do logs. How do you do it?

How do you keep track of all the work done to your boat? College ruled notebook? White board? Bulkhead full of sticky notes?

I have started a log book to try and separate the seemingly enormous job of restoring this old Columbia to her former glory in to a bunch of smaller, relatively easy tasks. But a few pages in recording the state of things as she sits and I'm worried it will all look like Egyptian when I go back to read it.

So I would like to see some examples. That way I can steal ideas to get a system that will work for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

For fun I have attached the attrocities that are the thru-hulls. The Marelons work smoothly. The red ball valve is locked up tighter than a nun's... You know.

The sink and cockpit drain "manifold" with the Delphi valve is ridiculous. What you can't see in the picture is the group 24 battery sitting in a little tray about 12 inches behind it. This thing was one bad wave from getting snapped off and sinking the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
20190708_204242_1562652240594.jpg   20190708_204253_1562652261880.jpg   20190708_204258_1562652298200.jpg   20190708_204309_1562652320017.jpg   20190708_204818_1562652352783.jpg  

post #3 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: Maintenance, Repair, and To-do logs. How do you do it?

I set up an excel spread sheet for the boat, It has multiple tabs where I record information. I have one with a list of equipment on the boat, one for serial numbers, one for electrical wire size/load calculation, one for stats for the boat, a maintenance log, a tab for each winter storage (includes projects etc.), tab for watch schedules, a tab for project planning, various tabs for spares lists, tab for an insurance claim, tabs for locker contents/inventory, tab for contacts and of course the MAINTENANCE log you asked about.

I add tabs as need be. The most used tabs are on the left side.

I make a copy of the boat spread sheet and put it on a USB drive and bring it to the boat where I have a computer. which has the same spread sheet... I need to sync them so I do it with the USB.

These days I take pics with my phone and keep a file with them. Useful for any project. I can plan projects from home with pics. Never too many pics and so easy to take. When I take measurements or draw a sketch and write them down, I will take a pic of that too and toss out the paper.

Excel is very powerful, searchable and you have a lot of graphic control. You can draw, import text, graphics and pics. Power uses can use it for data analysis. I don't. I use it to record information.

Maintenance log tab has
date
weather
engine hrs (next oil change eng hr.)
list of belts, filters, oil, zinc

You can add comments to cells as well.... like who was on board or what you ate!
Degas likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #4 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago

Record things in three places
The paper manual for the object (engine,generator, head) they either give you a place in the manual or you use the inside back cover. For engine and generator also made a plastic sleeve attached to them. Cut out the labels off filters, impellers etc. write the date of on the back and slip them into the sleeve.
The log book
The iPad and then it goes to the cloud.

To do goes into reminders and calendar.

Been looking at the various commercial products to help organize as just have a list on the IPad. Has anyone used them? Which ones are good?

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #5 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

I did a cursory search of apps. There are several geared towards managing fleets that have good reviews. The couple I you d for private boats had no so good reviews.
post #6 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Record things in three places
The paper manual for the object (engine,generator, head) they either give you a place in the manual or you use the inside back cover. For engine and generator also made a plastic sleeve attached to them. Cut out the labels off filters, impellers etc. write the date of on the back and slip them into the sleeve.
The log book
The iPad and then it goes to the cloud.

To do goes into reminders and calendar.

Been looking at the various commercial products to help organize as just have a list on the IPad. Has anyone used them? Which ones are good?
Some good suggestions here especially about notes written in the owner's manuals. I still like photos of the notes.

I organize my computer files for the boat which makes for finding information,=. The folder contains these folders
CAD drawings
comm - letters etc.
Gear has sub folders for each piece of equipment or system such as electrics, nav instruments etc and scans of owner manuals.
insurance
passage logs
PDF of CAD files ( categories/systems)
PIX,folders for general, deck, gear, hull, cabin, people, RIBs, sailing
Shiva Excel
Winter storage

Files also are on a USB drive so I can take them with me.

For purchasing list I use an app which is a list or multiple lists.

post #7 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago
Always learning...

Iím new at the big boat game, but I have a paper maintenance logbook (medium-sized ďRite in the RainĒ spiral) for recording things I did, and my Google Drive folder for the boat where I keep electronic copies of manuals, documentation, forms, photos, and a spreadsheet for maintenance tracking and upgrade planning. Iíll probably refine this as I go. I donít always have a computer with a keyboard on board for our current weekend trips, so the paper logs make sense. Also, when the boat eventually leaves our care, I plan to keep the vessel logbooks, but leave the paper maintenance logs with her.

Regarding your seacock issues, the previous owner/builder of our boat built a water chest that serves all raw water needs onboard, so there is exactly ONE thru-hull below the waterline. Depending on your needs, that might be something to consider.

Jonathan
SanderO likes this.

S/V Pinniped
Jason 35
post #8 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago

Evernote checklist

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #9 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

I had one of those Rite in the Rain pads in Alaska and ended up losing it overboard. Never got another.

I only have one raw water inlet in the boat for the head. The mess under the cockpit is going to get replaced with a Perko or Groco seacock and a purpose built manifold.
post #10 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago

Not everyone has a computer or laptop on board... but more and more do. Almost everyone carries a mobile device and you can use it to take photos... of even hand written notes. Cloud can be used and accessed from mobile devices. Data is easily moved with you and from device to device and used as needed.

Obviously a paper log is a legal document and required for commercial vessels.

For sure most sailors have a note pad on board... some a formal log book. I no longer maintain a written log and find the spread sheet approach superior and useful.. and it's searchable too!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in