Floating Winch Handle - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 Old 07-19-2019

Re: Floating Winch Handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

I've never had a floating handle. Are there other advantages with weight, etc? Intuitively, I would think them to be less sturdy....
I used them for many years (when you could buy one for $10-12) and thought they'd be easier on gelcoat if they fell or hit it, because of their lighter weight. They seem strong enough. I never broke one, but had a handle grip come off once. IMO, if you break a plastic winch handle, you're probably using bad technique. If the helmsman and jib tailer are coordinated, the tailer shouldn't have to do much hard grinding.

I now use Lewmar one hand winch handles. They're very functional, and not terribly heavy, but I had crew drop one over the side. ($100. and it didn't float.)
Minnesail and ivanka like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 Old 07-19-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanka View Post
can we find the same one on amazon?
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnesail For This Useful Post:
ivanka (07-19-2019)
post #13 of 28 Old 07-19-2019

I had that same handle on my last boat, but I only used it on the secondary winches because it had way too much flex to use on the Genoa, and the locking mechanism was terrible, and would not release from the winch without having to jiggle it and holding the locking lever in just the right position.

My logic for buying it in the first place was that it was cheap, and because if it was dropped it would be less likely to chip the gelcoat. The fact that it floated was not a big concern, because in my experience winch handles usually go overboard when racing, or when it is windy and things are going a bit sideways, and in both cases I am unlikely to go back for it.

The next winch handle bought was a plastic Lewmar handle. It was nicer than the Titan, because it was stiffer, had a better offset, and had a "speed ball" knob on the handle that made for much better 2 handed grinding. It had a button lock release which turned out to be awkward to use, particularly for people with small hands. Again the handle required a bit of wiggling to get it to release from the winch.

Recently I got annoyed with that handle and nearly thew it overboard for someone else to find!
I found a Harken Carbo "one-Touch" handle on sale for cdn$95 and snapped it up! What a beautifully designed handle! It slides in and out of the socket effortlessly. The lock release runs the length of the shank so grabbing the handle anywhere on the shank will release the lock. The handle and the speed ball have ball bearings and spin independently of each other, and because it is their Carbo line it is super light, and will not ding the gelcoat if dropped. It is well worth the money. Once you have used a nice winch handle there is no going back to the cheapo ones!

We have a simple rule on our boat...there are only 2 acceptable places for a winch handle, either in the winch or in the handle pocket. If you stick to that rule you will never loose a handle.

Buy good gear and take care of it!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Minnesail and wymbly1971 like this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

post #14 of 28 Old 07-19-2019 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

On my boat winch handles are kept in one of two pockets on either side of the cockpit, or stowed below. I have always taught my students to store the winch handle after use. I do not allow them to be left in the winch after use (and in my mind I silently scream when I see YouTubers do this) for two reasons; 1 - they would be in the way if trying to blow a sheet (for example while tacking) and 2 - they could be a tripping hazard.

Unfortunately, when raising the main on my boat, I must either carry the handle to the mast or have someone pass it forward to me to the mast from the cockpit. In this instance, I had just raised the main, cleated and coiled the halyard, and was bringing the handle back to the cockpit when I simply dropped it. Bounce, bounce, plop! Sh!t happens.
Minnesail and wymbly1971 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 28 Old 07-19-2019

A zillion years ago, I was taught not to leave a winch handle in the winch, because if a pawl broke, it would spin under load and break bones.

Today, it’s all electric winches. Nice.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #16 of 28 Old 07-19-2019 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

The new orange/blue handle just arrived in today's mail. It's definitely fiber reinforced plastic of some kind. The texture of the orange shaft is rough (like 60 grit), and seems like it MAY give splinters if UV degrades the plastic in any way. I may paint the shaft with plastic paint if only to protect whatever plastic it is made from, thereby protecting my hands. The blue hand grip, the locking "square," and the locking lever seem to be made from smooth nylon. VERY difficult to read is the embossing on the shaft which states that it was made in Taiwan, PAT.NO.111595. I'll update once I put it to use.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #17 of 28 Old 07-19-2019 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Today, it’s all electric winches. Nice.
On YOUR boat maybe. My boat is much more modest and from 1986/1987;
Many of the artists included in the video are: Human League, Janet Jackson, Level 42, Nu Shooz, Tina Turner, Run DMC/Aerosmith, Duran Duran, Bruce Hornsby & the Range, Prince, Huey Lewis & The News, Eurithmics, Lionel Ritchie, Madonna, Bon Jovi, Pet Shop Boys, Bananarama, Wang Chung, Paul Simon, Phil Colins, Stacey Q, Witney Houston, Boy George, Eddie Money, The Moody Blues, Toto, Wham, Zelda, Berlin, Kenny Loggins, Elton John, Anita Baker, Cindy Lauper, Rod Stewart, Van Halen, Falco, Billy Idol, Howard Jones, Chrissy Hines, Berlin, Peter Gabriel, Steve Winwood, the Bangles, and a few I missed.
Minnesail likes this.

Last edited by eherlihy; 07-21-2019 at 02:52 PM.
post #18 of 28 Old 07-19-2019

We have the harken. After 6 years we have the harken.

Prefer synthetics for a winch handle because they are lighter. Prefer the harken because you can do everything with one hand which is the most important thing after knowing it won’t break when loaded.
Like the winch and pocket rule but go one further. No handle is ever left in a winch. You are either actively using it or it’s removed and placed back where it belongs. Think if you place your handle pockets correctly and the handles are put back when not in active use then there’s one always right at hand. Also think falling on the hand grip of a handle can do you some serious damage.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #19 of 28 Old 07-19-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCarlson View Post
I have that winch handle as well. I never tested it but always figured it wouldn't float well, would be hard to see, and the conditions leading to it's going overboard would not favour recovery, so it, like everything else that goes overboard is a sacrifice to the sea.

I wonder how long until the salvaged floating winch handle business begins to flourish. There must be tons of them washed up on the shore.
Or sunk in slips. Along with a thousand nuts and screws😃

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #20 of 28 Old 07-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Or sunk in slips. Along with a thousand nuts and screws😃
I dropped a pocket knife off the dock. I used a powerful magnet to try to fish it back up, and found a child's bicycle instead.
eherlihy and wymbly1971 like this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in