Jabsco head manual pump - POS - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By contrarian

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Jabsco head manual pump - POS

I replaced my aging head manual pump about 2 years ago. The unit I replaced was a Jabsco, and the new one was a drop-in replacement. It weighed half as much as the old one, cost half as much, but somehow had many more "features"... how could I go wrong? I could have gotten a seal kit for the old one but a) it was more expensive than a new head pump (on sale) and b) it's a gross enough job just replacing the pump. To make a long story short, the new pump is a piece of crap. Within a couple of months the seals on the pump shaft were leaking water by the handle, and last time out a few weeks ago it just stopped working. I could pull the handle up but not push it down no matter what position the valve (wet <--> dry) was in. Should I just buy another one for $99, or do more expensive ones last longer? This kind of sounds like a stupid question, but I know from experience with car mechanics that a lot of the wear parts are common between, say, VW and Audi or even Porsche. You just pay more for the more expensive model but it's built using a lot of the same parts. If I could buy one for $500 that's made with more metal and less plastic so that it will last for 20 years I'd buy it tomorrow. Not looking forward to this job. 8-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Jabsco head manual pump - POS

Bet the dry/wet lever has broken the feeble black plastic tit.Replacing this bit may allow operation but it's still junk. O ring on the pump shaft requires veggie oil from the getgo. Can be replaced but it's still junk
post #3 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Sailor

Jabsco head manual pump - POS

Research the Lavac head. No moving parts, just a big ass manual bilge pump. When I got tired of taking apart the head to fix the pump in my previous Jabsco I replaced my boats head with a Lavac and it worked flawlessly for years. We recently replaced it with a composting head - even simpler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

I bet the Wet/Dry leaver was in the middle when you screwed the plate back on and you broke it, or pushed it the wrong side.

Do you read and follow the instructions intimately? Like an Ikea description in build a bicycle?

Jabsco are not a POS.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #5 of 5 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Once you switch to Raritan your thoughts that the Jabsco are a POS will most likely be confirmed. They were for me anyway. Got tired of changing out the Jabsco seals and pumps. I just never had very good luck with them. Could have been be Operator error with the Jabsco I suppose but I've been very happy with the Raritan. No issues so far.
olson34 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in