Is Marine plywood a must? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 42 Old 07-27-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Is Marine plywood a must?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
The forward end of the cockpit locker is a much better location than the lazarette. Lazarettes are usually aft of the cockpit, up against the transom. That far aft would not be a good place for batteries.
We’re talking about the same place. I only have one locker/lazarette. Perhaps its technically a “locker”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 Old 07-27-2019

The most important consideration with plywood is weather the glue is waterproof. Cut off a sample and boil it in water for 10 minutes. The difference will be apparent.
CVAT likes this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #23 of 42 Old 07-27-2019

Think my labor is more expensive than materials. I just want to go sailing. If I do a job want it to be one and done. For this project still like the idea of starboard. Have done things in G10 and starboard by asking yard if they have scraps they’re going to toss or get rid of for short money. Would ask before blowing money.
jephotog and chef2sail like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #24 of 42 Old 07-27-2019

As others have said marine ply is just exterior ply with fewer voids. That feature is so it will bend event around a hull without developing hard spots where the voids are. Species of wood is more important than the marine rating. The ratings only address adhesives and construction. Rot resistance is not considered and some of the "marine" plys are terrible in this regard. They don't delaminate, they dissolve into mush. Use a good exterior fir or pine ply, coat it with epoxy, and it will be fine.
post #25 of 42 Old 07-27-2019

I live 1000 miles from the ocean in a small community and I can get marine plywood delivered. Ask your local lumber yard. My delivery took about a week to deliver and is similarly priced to the online prices I see without the delivery fees. There are many variations, I think mine was marinetech, which costs about $140, I know a sheet of 3/4" marine grade fir can be had for around $90. It is nice to know that 10-15 years down the line the owner then won't be asking, "Who the hell did this and what was he thinking?"

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #26 of 42 Old 07-27-2019

Side story, related.

My garden trailer base is plywood. It rotted. I'm old, and perhaps rotted a bit myself.

I go to the lumberyard. I want to fix it once. I run into the guy who owns the yard, a friend. He says, "what are you looking for?" I say "marine plywood." "What for?" I tell him.

He starts to laugh, and says "how long are you going to live?"

Needless to say, I walked out with a sheet of plywood, not marine.
davidpm and PhilCarlson like this.
post #27 of 42 Old 07-27-2019
smj

Ive been using Advantech plywood as a subfloor on the houses I’ve built over the past 20 years. Unbelievable product that seems to be unaffected by moisture. Ive often thought it would be a good and inexpensive product for certain marine applications as there would be no need to epoxy coat. About the same cost as a CD plywood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #28 of 42 Old 07-28-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Think my labor is more expensive than materials. I just want to go sailing. If I do a job want it to be one and done. For this project still like the idea of starboard. Have done things in G10 and starboard by asking yard if they have scraps they’re going to toss or get rid of for short money. Would ask before blowing money.
I thought about starboard, However the nuance of this installation, I have to screw the thing together like a box, after two vertical sides have been screwed into the adjacent battery box. Short version is that I need to screw the starboard together at a 90 degree angle, on two sides, and it will have to support the full weight of the battery (strapped down to the shelf) in a knock down. My understanding is that starboard works great when screwed through, but doesn’t have as strong of a hold when using wood screws to hold two pieces together.

After all the feedback, I think the easiest and most logical is for me to get a small high quality piece of birch plywood with no voids for $30, and epoxy paint it. That’s pretty much where i was leaning. Again, this part of the boat is a bit higher than the low spot and never really sees water. It should outlive my ownership of the boat.
outbound likes this.
post #29 of 42 Old 07-28-2019

We cant see the batt space.
Just wondering....
If the factory batt boxes are deep enough to allow for stacking above and not needing to build out.
The support is already there.
Then youre building and supporting off of the original boxes
A thought....

I5s easy ro create cut outs in a floor for maintenance
post #30 of 42 Old 07-28-2019 Thread Starter

The battery “boxes” arent really boxes. Inside the lazarette, in the port side hull, it’s just a wide open space. The builder molded in a pocket for batteries, two little pockets about 1” deep, and leveled off the curve hull, staggered as they climb up the curve of the hull, so each battery is like a step. Inside those pockets are just cheap plastic battery boxes, all that just straps down to the fiberglass pockets.

I’m essentially making a 3rd step, adjacent to the others. All of this is in a wide open hull space. Stacking unfortunately wouldn’t be stable, and its relatively easy to just make a new level spot next to the others.

I’d upload a pic, but it’s not an easy task on an iPad without hosting somewhere.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in