Rig noise - SailNet Community
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By MarkofSeaLife
  • 1 Post By bristol299bob
  • 1 Post By ImGary01

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-31-2019 Thread Starter

Rig noise

So I'm getting a lot of rig noise and not sure why? I have a Jeanneau 419 with an in-mast furler. This is my first season with the boat and using an in-mast furler. When on the mooring I get a lot of wind noise via the vibrating topping lift. Is that normal? The attached photo shows the mast end of the US Spar boom. Should there be an end cap to help reduce wind through the boom?

In my former Sabre with a traditional masthead rig and stackpack mainsail, I only experienced rig noise in winds above 25 and even then it was tolerable...

Thanks in advance for the help...

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/attac...1&d=1564564960
Attached Thumbnails
boom end.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-31-2019

Re: Rig noise

We had a hood furl in mast system on one of our boats.

One attribute of these things is that the slot that the sail rolls into in the mast can form sort of a wind whistle. I found it particularly troublesome on a mooring if the wind and tide were opposing, or on a dock when the wind was coming from the stern. There is something called a flute stopper which you slide into the aperture to block it and stop the flute from fluting (if that's a word?).

This may not be your problem, but we've seen or should I say heard this problem on many in mast furling boats.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-31-2019

Dock

Stuff a plastic bag in the boom hole as a test to see if it cuts the noise.

(if you are too environmentally friendly to use plastic try shoving in a seagull)

JoeDunn, ImGary01 and Whalerus like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
Guyfromthenorth (08-02-2019)

post #4 of 8 Old 07-31-2019

The slots may be an issue, but they are usually whistling type noises, not vibrations. I find messing with the tension of the running rigging can usually dampen, if not stop vibration. Often, with a furling rig, the furling and outhaul can have way too much tension, if you used a winch to tend them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
JoeDunn (08-03-2019)
post #5 of 8 Old 07-31-2019

it is not clear to me if you are getting a vibration from the topping lift causing it to "sing", like a guitar string ... or if you are getting a hum from air blowing over the hollow section of the boom, like a flute.

if the former you can change the point at which it will sing by changing the tension or by changing the mass of the line. I had the same situation with my topping lift years ago. You can play with the tension a bit using the vang. But I found that increasing the mass of the string had the most pronounced effect. I did this temporarily by tying a length of line to the topping lift (a few 1/2 hitches along 4 or 5ft). I did this anytime I was at anchor, and it worked nicely. Basically by increasing the mass of the line I was changing its resonance point. I permanently solved it by replacing the topping lift with a heavier line.

if the latter, I like Mark's idea to stuff it with a seagull.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
post #6 of 8 Old 07-31-2019

my topping lift is 1/4" and will sing even in light wind if it is to tight from tightening the mainsheet or vang

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #7 of 8 Old 07-31-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Stuff a plastic bag in the boom hole as a test to see if it cuts the noise.

(if you are too environmentally friendly to use plastic try shoving in a seagull)

Beak first or tail first??? Either way, you have another hole to deal with.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Last edited by ImGary01; 07-31-2019 at 12:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ImGary01 For This Useful Post:
chef2sail (08-03-2019)
post #8 of 8 Old 08-02-2019

We tie a line to the end of the boom and cleat it to the side. With the Vang off and the hydraulic backstay with just light tension (to save the seal) it makes the boom immovable (good for safety) then the spring in the Vang holds the boom up and the topping lift isnít doing much of anything. Use the traveler to position and lightly tension the line from the end of the boom and main sheet The gooseneck isnít rubbing back and forth. Thereís no movement in the boom at all and no ďsingingĒ from anything. Tension in any of the above lines is light so no creep nor stress.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in