how much does dock maintenance cost? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-01-2019 Thread Starter

how much does dock maintenance cost?

I have a friend who is considering buying a waterfront property with some dockage in the Annapolis area. He was asking me if I had any idea what the maintenance costs on such a thing are, and I didn't really have a clue but figured I could ask some of you good folks online. I think the house in question has a pier with a few pilings for slips, and I think there is a small boatlift as well. I imagine there is some big outlay every 15 years or so to do big rebuilds and replacements, plus some annual work. Maybe the latter is trivial, I don't know. Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-01-2019

Re: how much does dock maintenance cost?

The latter is trivial, yes. The larger costs will be entirely dependent on how old the dock is and how well it was originally built. It's really important to be certain the dock was permitted before it was built.
The Following User Says Thank You to drew1711 For This Useful Post:
mrWinter (08-01-2019)
post #3 of 9 Old 08-01-2019

he needs to check on the Taxes for waterfront use, some places have a separate Tax for the use of the waterfront that is not part of the property tax. the tax goes up if you dock a boat, have swim beach or seawall

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
The Following User Says Thank You to overbored For This Useful Post:
mrWinter (08-01-2019)

post #4 of 9 Old 08-01-2019
Administrator

The dock at my house is 19 years old. I had it built when I bought the place. The pilings have copper caps and I had asphalt felt strips applied to the tops of the joists and beams. There are several grades of CCA pressure treatment and I used the heaviest duty grade. The walking surface is treated wood.

About 10 years after I built the dock, I low-pressure power-washed it, and applied a sealer with a roller. That process was fast enough that I could have gone out for a sail that afternoon except that the dock was tacky so I could not get to the boat. I have had to replace a couple GFI receptacles after the water flooded them during a hurricane. I had to replace the hangers for the water system, which I did one low tide from the dinghy. I need to replace a few more. I expect to have to replace some planking in the next ten years. I carry commercial dock insurance since I allow friends to tie up at my dock and I could not keep my house insurance unless I had the separate dock policy. The dock insurance is pretty inexpensive.

Maryland bases your property tax on the appraised value of the property and deep water slips add to the appraised value of the property. But there is a homestead exception on property taxes in Maryland that limits the amount that a property tax can rise in any given year so my property taxes are quite affordable.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #5 of 9 Old 08-01-2019

We have a dock too. Jeff's advice is right on.

Do absolutely tell your friend to FULLY investigate permitting. If it is not properly permitted, it is worth nothing. If it is, it may substantially effect the price of the property. Like Jeff said, here in my neighborhood the tax implications of owning a dock are that the dock can substantially effect the value of the real estate....thus your real estate taxes.

For maintenance, we built the decking with one of the plastic faux wood decking products. The pilings are some wood that resists the bugs, I cannot remember the name of it but it is so heavy that the pilings do not float. Local ordinances don't like creosote. I'd want to investigate how who set the pilings, hopefully they are deep. I'd want to know especially for a floating dock that the pilings have quite a bit of height for storm surge. We've done no maintenance in 20 years, but it was built to high standards. No experience with boat lifts.

If it freezes where you are you need to deal with that. The failure mode is that an ice ring forms around the pilings, and as the tide comes in and out, it gradually lifts the pilings out. To stop this, either one of those little propeller things hung under the dock, or an air compressor with a hose full of holes sunk under the dock does the trick. I prefer the air compressor as it doesn't get fouled by debris in the water. The warmer water is brought up by the little propeller or air bubbles near the pilings and the ice stays clear.

At least for us, boats take WAY more maintenance than docks.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-01-2019

One thing to consider when replacing 20 year old pressure treated wood is the change of the chemicals over the years. 20 years ago pressure treated wood had a component of I think Cyanide or its derivative. It was outlawed and replaced by a copper-based, pressure-treating compound in 2003.

I am not positive of the chemical compounds of each but know the modern pressure treated wood has a chemical reaction to not specially galvanized metals. So an upgrade to newer wood might cause the old brackets to degrade faster. There is an option to wrap the beams with a material like Grace Vycor to protect metal brackets from early decay.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-02-2019

FWIW, the older pressure treated wood had high levels of arsenic (Chromated Copper Arsenate). Arsenic is highly poisonous, and chromium is a heavy metal. Its use was effectively discontinued after 2003.

https://www.epa.gov/ingredients-used...tive-chemicals

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #8 of 9 Old 08-03-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies all.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-04-2019

A lot depends upon the wear & tear the dock gets from weather and use. We had a floating dock attached to a building at the head of a very well-protected harbor. An 18 foot center console skiff was the sole occupant. The main problem we had was from ice in the winter wrenching the ramp pivot points. Despite that, it went 40 years until I had to scarf new ends on the longitudinal beams of the ramp. The flotation sometimes needed some attention, and we painted it now and again when it started to look shabby. Otherwise, spending up front on solid construction pays off with minimal maintenance costs.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in