Stack Pack battens? - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Stack Pack battens?

My boat came with a Doyle stack pack that needs some serious attention. From their online manual, and from looking around the docks and online, I get the impression that there are supposed to be actual fiberglass or wooden sail battens inside the stack pack -- but I can't seem to find any pics of them. Mine has some small (3/8" ish), whimpy plastic or fiberglass rods in it and they're utterly useless. Seems like something a P.O. improvised while away from proper resources, or maybe they picked up an incomplete system on Craigslist and half-arsed it.

I'd like to restore my Stack Pack to its proper form. Can any Stack Pack owners out there describe the battens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: Stack Pack battens?

How big is it?

I sewed my stack pack from a Sailrite kit and I just used PVC pipe for the battens.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnesail For This Useful Post:
bajaking (2 Weeks Ago)
post #3 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago

they come with whimpy fiberglass rods. I changed mine to real battens and then s!!! canned the whole thing and went back to flaking by hand and sail cover. hate the stack pack flapping in the breeze while sailing

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

post #4 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks, Minnesail, I wasn't aware Sailrite offered a kit. I'll take a cue from that and go with PVC if my phone-tag game with the local Doyle loft doesn't result in something better.

I agree these pack systems look and feel really goofy underway, but man, watching that main drop lock a rock on the Tides track after an exhausting day, and then just having to pull a zipper...it's been pretty awesome even with the faulty setup I have now. It would be a really pain to deal with sail wrangling otherwise on a 12.5' boom that's nearly 5' off the coachroof. I understand why a PO made the upgrade on this boat.
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago

I have gotten a little grief for having a stack pack on a 22’ boat…. People are like “What, you can’t handle that sail?”

But I love it. A lot of my sailing is for very short periods of time. Like this morning I took a quick 20-minute spin around the lake. If I had to spend 5 minutes with sail ties and a sail cover at either end of sailing, that would have cut my sailing time in half today!

And especially during the heat of the summer we often anchor and swim for a bit. So the day might consist of three segments of sailing broken up by two sessions of swimming. It’s nice to just be able to release the clutch and let the main stow itself, then when you’re done swimming just pull the halyard and you’re ready to go.

I don’t have any issue with mine flapping. It’s stretched pretty tight from the topping lift to the mast, and the PVC keeps the upper edge stiff. My only issue is that it acts like a small sail and exacerbates my boats tendency to sail at anchor.
RegisteredUser and bajaking like this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

Last edited by Minnesail; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:10 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Copy that. It's made it a lot easier to singlehand a 35' boat and removed another excuse to stay dockside, or to stop for a lunch hook whenever I get the inkling. Seems like these devices are constantly evolving as each maker puts their own ideas into them, and being that it's just some canvas and a few bits of hardware and line, it's ripe for DIY mods. I'm looking forward to optimizing this new boat toy.
Minnesail likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago

My rigger says that a lot of people leave the lazy jacks and stack pack up when sailing, but ideally your supposed to loosen the lazy jacks, pull forward and roll the stack pack to keep it out of the way when sailing. Just a thought. Just had mine replaced and havenít tried this yet.
post #8 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

I think that makes sense, though there doesn't seem to be any built-in provision to secure the rolled up pack on mine or most of the pics and videos I've seen; easy enough to put old sail ties to use and thread them around the bundles, I guess, or make something more permanent like a couple straps with snaps on the boom. I'd probably do that in anticipation of a long passage, good idea.

This is interesting, though. Seems Mr. Doyle designed the Stack Pack to be part of the mainsail itself, at least per this video circa 2013. Not sure where this design fits in the history of sail packs.

Minnesail likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

United States Patent: 4741281

Now I'm sure. Seems that was the original design, to permanently attach the sides to the mainsail. Interesting.
post #10 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemurray View Post
My rigger says that a lot of people leave the lazy jacks and stack pack up when sailing, but ideally your supposed to loosen the lazy jacks, pull forward and roll the stack pack to keep it out of the way when sailing. Just a thought. Just had mine replaced and havenít tried this yet.
That is what we do - 5 pairs of velcro straps sewed onto the bag allow us to roll it up tightly against the boom. This only applies if we have the main fully hoisted. If we are reefed, we need the bag to control the foot of the sail since we chose not to put more holes in the sail than necessary and cannot tie it down to the boom. Not really a problem since we are normally only reefed when cruising and the loss of efficiency of having a lazy bag is not life threatening. No way we could flake the sail short handed and so it is just one of those trade offs
Zemurray likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in