4Likes
  • 2 Post By colemj
  • 1 Post By SchockT
  • 1 Post By CVAT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

a/c trips breaker -- sometimes

Odd behavior from old Lunaire Marine model LPSC-16HL:

This old beauty still works, both heating and cooling. Itís 20+ years old. However, when I first turn on the cooling, the main panel circuit breaker (brand new, 30 amps) opens in about two seconds. During that time the ammeter reads about 40 amps and the voltage at the main panel drops to around 50v. (the air conditioner is supposed to draw about 15 amps.) After going through this cycle around ten times, it continues to run, the current reads about 18 amps, and the voltage drops from around 120 to around 100. (no other load is connected through all of this.) It runs fine, indefinitely, after that.

The heating option also works fine. The thermostatic control also appears to work. The rheostat (?) thatís supposed to control the fan speed does not work, but thatís not a problem.

Any thoughts? Wire too thin? What tests should I make?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 6 Days Ago

Re: a/c trips breaker -- sometimes

Often, these units have a start capacitor on them to help with soft starting. If yours is bad, the full locked rotor amperage on startup could be tripping the breaker.

Just googled - it has a start cap in it: http://trojanboat.com/wp-content/upl...-AC-wiring.pdf . Try starting there. If it is easy to replace, then replace it (they are inexpensive); otherwise search how to test a capacitor. Be careful to short the terminals first before touching them.

Mark
RegisteredUser and CVAT like this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 6 Days Ago

I agree, it looks like your compressor is having trouble starting. The capacitor is what gives a single phase motor it's starting torque. First step is to replace the existing capacitor. They are cheap and generic. Brand doesn't matter, as long as it is the same microfarad (mfd) rating.

If that doesn't work you can try adding a Hard Start Kit. They give old compressors a little extra starting torque.

Both items should be available at any HVAC supply house.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
RegisteredUser likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

post #4 of 10 Old 6 Days Ago
One of None

If you're not qualified or able, have someone go through the complete shore power supply from the dock all the way down to the receptacles I can almost guarantee you're going to find problems,

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #5 of 10 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

Thanks -- a lot. I see a start capacitor on the wiring diagram -- says "with 15k, 2 w bleeder resistor" (if i'm reading it correctly). I'll have a look at it today or more likely tomorrow, and follow your advice from there. I can also get some guidance from a pro marine electrician, easily enough. If I can find it, I hope it has the parameters on it so that I can get the correct replacement, or maybe I can find it in the manual. Appreciate the help -- your suggestion makes a lot of sense.
post #6 of 10 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

I've thought of that too, and even figured out how to test it. But I'll look into the possibility of a faulty start capacitor first, as I think it's more likely.

Many thanks for your help.
post #7 of 10 Old 5 Days Ago
One of None

Please take a picture of the compressor capacitor and wiring compartment of the air conditioner, I can take it from there,

the start capacitor is showing in dotted lines which means it's an added accessory. if you have it so we need to determine if it's there, it probably isn't,

Start up amperage is very very high for a split second but you should not be getting voltage drop

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!

Last edited by deniseO30; 5 Days Ago at 02:38 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I agree, it looks like your compressor is having trouble starting. The capacitor is what gives a single phase motor it's starting torque. First step is to replace the existing capacitor. They are cheap and generic. Brand doesn't matter, as long as it is the same microfarad (mfd) rating.

If that doesn't work you can try adding a Hard Start Kit. They give old compressors a little extra starting torque.

Both items should be available at any HVAC supply house.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I agree, but also ensure that in addition to the micro farad rating is that you have the same or exceed the voltage rating, i.e. if you had an 100 mfd rated at 75V you could replace it safely with a 100 mfd 150V capacitor but not a 100mfd 50V capacitor. Exceeding the rated voltage on a capacitor is quite explosive and depending on where you are when it happens can result in shrapnel injury. I would also avoid those sold by Chinese merchants, go with a good brand Rubycon, Nichicon, Panasonic, Vishay, you may pay more but they will stay in spec and last. If you are curious just google first and second tier capacitors.
RegisteredUser likes this.

Use your head for something other than a hat rest.
post #9 of 10 Old 5 Days Ago

You have a wiring problem if the voltage drops from 120 to 100 volts when it is running. lower volts means higher amps through the wiring. looks like a corrosion problem in the wiring.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #10 of 10 Old 5 Days Ago
One of None

it seems to be human nature to dive into the major things and go for the major repairs, rather than taking the time to check all the little things. ALL wiring connections, terminals, connectors, are suspect on something that's 20 plus years old!

Shore power plugs and receptacles are notorious for being bad even when they look good!

Brass terminals will turn green!

My last project!

Last edited by deniseO30; 4 Days Ago at 03:56 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in