Yet another head question. - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Minnewaska
  • 1 Post By mstorey

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Yet another head question.

Greetings All: The original head, a Raritan CP, on my 1986 Caliber 33 sailboat has finally met it demise. I ordered a Raritan PH Superflush which I hope to install in the coming days. I had a couple of questions which I was hoping some folks with more experience with swapping these out (I have 0 experience) could answer for me.

1) I purchased an in-line strainer in my attempt to defeat odor. The manufacturer says it doesn't need to be installed above the waterline. Do people with expertise think that it is necessary to install above the waterline or is at or just below the waterline acceptable?

2) Any pearls of wisdom on removing the Raritan CP and installing the PH Superflush?

3) The previous owner of the boat changed out all of the waste lines on the discharge side of the head to the Trident Sanitation hose (green stripe) about 3 years ago.. The tank is plastic. Besides adding the strainer and upsizing the vent are there any other things I can do to reduce head odor?

4) I haven't quite figured out if my head is above or below the waterline. I know that some people suggest that a vented loop is not necessary (Don Casey on a Boat US article) on the water intake line since the seacock is easily accessable. Currently I do have a vented loop on the discharge side but not on the intake side. Thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for all the advice.
Cheers,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Yet another head question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstorey View Post
Greetings All: The original head, a Raritan CP, on my 1986 Caliber 33 sailboat has finally met it demise. I ordered a Raritan PH Superflush which I hope to install in the coming days. I had a couple of questions which I was hoping some folks with more experience with swapping these out (I have 0 experience) could answer for me.

1) I purchased an in-line strainer in my attempt to defeat odor. The manufacturer says it doesn't need to be installed above the waterline. Do people with expertise think that it is necessary to install above the waterline or is at or just below the waterline acceptable?

2) Any pearls of wisdom on removing the Raritan CP and installing the PH Superflush?

3) The previous owner of the boat changed out all of the waste lines on the discharge side of the head to the Trident Sanitation hose (green stripe) about 3 years ago.. The tank is plastic. Besides adding the strainer and upsizing the vent are there any other things I can do to reduce head odor?

4) I haven't quite figured out if my head is above or below the waterline. I know that some people suggest that a vented loop is not necessary (Don Casey on a Boat US article) on the water intake line since the seacock is easily accessable. Currently I do have a vented loop on the discharge side but not on the intake side. Thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for all the advice.
Cheers,
Mike

First you have top quality hose

Second the holding tank must be well aerated by vent to enable the aerobic bacteria I actually installed a secon one on Haleakula.

Third keeping effluent out of the line goes a long way to preserving the hoses

Fourth we use fresh water to flush if you can do that you avoid the head/ tank smell of the sea water critters decomposing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #3 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. What is the best way to keep effluent out of the hoses? I have a line with a stopcock plumbed from the sink drain to the head intake line. At the end of the day I fill the sink with water, turn the stopcock to open it to the sink drain, and pump it through the toilet. I plan on installing a second vent line on the opposite side of the boat but was going to wait till I had it hauled in the fall.

Thanks,
Mike

post #4 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Flush plenty of water . Also our pump out line/ mascerator line is led from the bottom of the holding tank. Because of that we put a large valve on the tank at the bottom so that no effluent lays in the line! It is contained in the holding tank. When we pump out we throw the valve.

The real key is the aeration. Aerobic organisms are good in the tank. It’s also why we don’t put chemicals in it which would kill them. A second line in to a vent is a great way to do this also.

Make sure when you pump out if possible to add water back in and repump

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #5 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago

You can buy the proper mix of microbes from RV stores. Other than a rare few oz. of olive oil to lube it nothing that doesn’t come out of you should go into the commode.
We have a small trash next to the throne with a paper bag in it. All paper, wipes etc. go into it. Nothing to prevent the joker valve from sealing correctly. Much less for the bacteria to have to handle. Much less settling on the bottom of the holding tank or attempting to clog the discharge through hull.
Seems to have cut down on head issues significantly.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #6 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago

You really want to read this. It's the bible on the subject. Not sure what you mean by a filter. Do you mean an intake sea strainer? If so, that's a good idea, but will do nothing for odor. Crib notes...... you need to flush enough clean water to be sure there is no waste in the hoses. Some holding tanks are not large enough to do this repeatedly. One gallon per flush is probably the minimum (depends on your set up and height of vented loop). Then you need to properly aerate the holding tank.

https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-B.../dp/B01BW2ZSTW

p.s. Raritan is a good brand and I'm surprised the head you have can't be rebuilt. Although, tearing out and replacing with new can be a time saver. CP is now a cleaning product made by Raritan, so perhaps your head is outdated.
jephotog likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Minnewaska, thanks for the info. I do mean a sea strainer. We have a fair amount of "life" in the water around where I live, occasionally I get the piece of grass in the bowl when I flush. Unfortunately the part that broke was the metal rod that goes between the piston and the little round knob to pump the toilet. I can't think of a good way to get water through the discharge line without it, or without taking the whole thing apart. If my research is correct the model I have went out of production in the mid 90's and parts are had to come by. I figured after 30+ years of usage it would be best to start fresh and put a new one in. Besides keeping my spouse happy is worth way more than the $300 for the new head.
Minnewaska likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago

My understanding is that the vented loop in the inlet line is there in case a siphon develops and the toilet valve fails to hold it. My concern would not be that happening when I was paying attention & could close the through-hull, but at some point when I was otherwise occupied (or worse yet, not on the boat). It seems like cheap insurance and is easy to do. IMO the intake side is the important one, as you shouldn't have the discharge seacock open anyway.
post #9 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago

The book Minne recommended has a lot of good info. Chef has already told you a lot of what is in that book.

When I had a boat with a working head I would leave a half gallon juice container filled with fresh water in the head's sink to be used to flush the toilet. It makes it easier to keep salt water out of the system and avoid the extra layer of odor from dead things in your holding tank.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in