I have had it with Outboards, Time to go Electric - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 62 Old 08-14-2019

Re: I have had it with Outboards, Time to go Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Really, only 160?

I also have a 50 watt panel with a Genasun MPPT controller, and I figure that I get around 200 watt hours a day.
My system is 5 days old. Still working through the details, figuring out the system. I might be able to do better but not run the fridge/freezer I am hoping to add to my camping gear. Over the last weekend it more than met my needs to keep the battery fully charged.

Even at 200 watt hours, it is maybe only an hour and a bit of motoring at low speeds for Arcb. Although it sounds like solar can work for him, based on his consumption, but I would add oars for backup.
Minnesail and Arcb like this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 62 Old 08-14-2019

No personal experience, but Webb Chiles circumnavigated using a Torqueedo. He (perhaps obviously) kept in in a lazarette most of the time. He had some trouble with it, but then again it did go around the world...
Arcb likes this.
post #23 of 62 Old 08-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
The engine in question is a 2016 Honda 2.3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthoops View Post
We had a 3.5 hp Tohatsu that we bought new. Worked ok for 1/2 season and then was a piece of crap. We sold it and bought a Honda 2.3 and this time we used nothing but ethanol free gasoline, even ponying up for Tru Fuel when we were based in Connecticut.

Itís noisy but it starts in the first pull or two every time and hasnít given us a bit of trouble in 3 years. Now let me go look for the nearest piece of wood to knock on.
Yes, it was my long-winded way of saying maybe itís the gas, not the outboard.
RegisteredUser and Arcb like this.

"Pegu Club"
1977 Bristol 29.9

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 62 Old 08-14-2019

Figuring how much solar you'll need or can generate (between room for solar panels and batteries to store it) has a lot of variables, the biggest being clouds. On the other hand many of us here are using solar so there is a lot of advice available.
Solar panels refer to watts and most of the larger panels output 17-18 volts from the panel before that power gets to the charge controller, so the amperage calculation is watts divided by volts = amps. 100 watts divided by 17 volts is an output of 5.8 amps when conditions are just right. Most calculations seem to figure an average of about 5-6 hours of good solar exposure per day. Clouds, shadows, shifting axis, all effect that output. Wire size, distances, battery condition effect what gets to the batteries and charging.
The bottom line is 100 watts of solar panels will put about 32 amps into your battery per day, 200 watts about 64 amps, etc....

From Boat US - " To use an example, a 55 lb thrust motor unit has a peak power draw of 40 amps. If you use the trolling motor for 6 hours at average 50% load of 20 amps, the trolling motor will then require a battery load of 120 Ah. (6 hours X 20 amps=120 amp hours)."

Second issue is the size of the battery or batteries -
from Calculating Motor Run Time Ė TrollingMotors.net
The larger the rating, the more power the battery can hold, and the longer it will be able to power a motor at a given speed. For example, a 100 amperage hour battery is one that would be able to supply 25 amps of power for 4 hours (25 amps * 4 hours = 100 amp hours) before running out of energy.

Running a battery too low shortens its life, to consistently run 100 amps from the battery bank you'd probably want 400-600 amp capacity, like 2 Trojan T 105s in series (great batteries but 64 pounds each). Unfortunately if you use the motor during the daylight hours it won't charge at night, so the next morning you have depleted or dead batteries.

All this is why I really appreciate my little Suzuki 2hp 2 stroke (and use the solar system to keep the refrigerator cold).
Arcb likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dfok For This Useful Post:
Arcb (08-15-2019)
post #25 of 62 Old 08-15-2019

Quote:
Really, only 160?

I also have a 50 watt panel with a Genasun MPPT controller, and I figure that I get around 200 watt hours a day.
I figured it out why I was only getting 160WH. My battery was never drained as I had barely used any battery at all, so there was barely any bulk charging. I need to drain the battery some so I can see how much my solar pane can recharge during a day.

Jordan
Oceanside CA
post #26 of 62 Old 08-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
I figured it out why I was only getting 160WH. My battery was never drained as I had barely used any battery at all, so there was barely any bulk charging. I need to drain the battery some so I can see how much my solar pane can recharge during a day.
Whew! I Thought maybe I was calculating my wattage all wrong, because I'm not even moving my panels for maximum sun like you are. My boat swings on a mooring so I never know which way it will be pointing.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #27 of 62 Old 08-15-2019

Quote:
Whew! I Thought maybe I was calculating my wattage all wrong, because I'm not even moving my panels for maximum sun like you are. My boat swings on a mooring so I never know which way it will be pointing.
I thought the opposite, mine should be doing better since I can aim my panel, maybe I bought the wrong MPPT charger?

I just set up a fan to run on and off today so I can tax the battery to see what my panel can do. Just now the charger was in absorption mode and the panel was producing 35watts out of a potential of 50.

Jordan
Oceanside CA
post #28 of 62 Old 08-15-2019

My experience exactly mimics Fattys. When in New England during summer the solar way out performs the D400s. When in windwards for winter the wind way out performs the solar. Have two panels mounted on top of hard Bimini so never shadowed. Have two D400s mounted on 10í poles so always in direct wind.
Explanation is longer days in summer and stronger wind in tropics. We anchor. When in a slip production falls for both. Less wind and usually more dirt in the air.
Minnesail likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #29 of 62 Old 08-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
I thought the opposite, mine should be doing better since I can aim my panel, maybe I bought the wrong MPPT charger?

I just set up a fan to run on and off today so I can tax the battery to see what my panel can do. Just now the charger was in absorption mode and the panel was producing 35watts out of a potential of 50.
What are you using to measure your production?

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #30 of 62 Old 08-15-2019

Quote:
What are you using to measure your production?
My charger is a Victron Smart Solar with Bluetooth controls. I have multiple tools in my phone app. I have been playing with the angle of my stand and watch the effect on watts.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20190813-195925 (1).jpg  
Minnesail likes this.

Jordan
Oceanside CA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in