Hit a rock with chartered boat in Sardinia - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 48 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dock
Re: Hit a rock with chartered boat in Sardinia

@Skipper Jer makes a good point. It's not like they will go easy on you if you bring it to their attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Also, it's important to look on the bright side: if you have caused some big damage to the boat you are capped at Ä3,500, you don't have to manage the repairs, nor ever have to worry if the fix is good......
Not having to worry about quality of the fix is a modest silver lining.

I hope the charter contract and insurance bear out the cap. That is not always the case. In fact, I've seen disclaimers where you have zero coverage, if you take the boat into prohibited areas, for example. In the US anyway, the insurance company can also have the right to pursue their loss against whomever caused it, unless the operator was the insured party, or additional insured party. No idea how the rules work overseas.

Not trying to create stress, just giving the OP some things to check out and get their ducks in a row.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #13 of 48 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Jer View Post
How do you know you did the damage? Maybe it was there before you chartered the boat. Are there pictures of the keel taken before you got on board? I wouldn't volunteer information. Good luck. Yea you bumped into something and you think it was a rock but did you actually see the keel make contact?
The smaller operation we've chartered bareboats through the last 3 or 4 times, dives the hull and take pictures upon every return. You leave a cash deposit and the rest held on a credit card, for the deductible. You don't get the cash handed back, until the diver returns with the photos and a thumbs up.

I used to find it fairly stressful, not that I've ever suspected I've done any damage. Considering that folks may not own up to their mistakes on the charter right before me, I'm now pretty happy they do it each time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #14 of 48 Old 3 Weeks Ago

If that is the damage that you did then it must have been one of those Sardinian soft rocks.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #15 of 48 Old 3 Weeks Ago

It appears to be on the bottom of the keel not dead in the front.... It looks more likely a scrape when motoring over coral perhaps?????

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #16 of 48 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
It appears to be on the bottom of the keel not the front.... It looks more live a scrape when motoring over coral perhaps?????
Take another look at pic #2. That impact is in the front.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #17 of 48 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Take another look at pic #2. That impact is in the front.
kinda... but mostly the bottom because it's a bulb...

If this was a solid hit.... the whole keel would have pushed up in the aft end... and the helmsman would have lurched forward. The hull would flex and there could be damage to the structure. This was a glancing hit.

Looks like not a big fix... but it will cost a few boat bucks.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:09 PM.
post #18 of 48 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Minnewaska, when you did those charters and they took pictures of the hull upon your return, were you able to see the "before" pictures prior to your taking control of the vessel? And if so, how would you know the "before" pictures were authentic? The cynic in me is seeing how such a scheme could be a money maker for the charter company. I've never chartered, so maybe this is all done during check in when you arrive. I just don't know.
SanderO and Skipper Jer like this.
post #19 of 48 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
kinda... but mostly the bottom because it's a bulb...

If this was a solid hit.... the whole keel would have pushed up in the aft end... and the helmsman would have lurched forward. The hull would flex and there could be damage to the structure. This was a glancing hit.

Looks like not a big fix... but it will cost a few boat bucks.
Thatís virtually a portrait view from the front. Since you can see it, it hit in front first. The fact that the bulb slopes down doesnít really change that. It appears to have taken some pressure, it didnít just gently scrape along. Of course, the keel was not feet below the rock, or the impact would have been further up.

I would expect this impact is less impactful that a dead stop impact, if thatís what you were trying to say. I hope it did no further damage.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #20 of 48 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshock View Post
Minnewaska, when you did those charters and they took pictures of the hull upon your return, were you able to see the "before" pictures prior to your taking control of the vessel? And if so, how would you know the "before" pictures were authentic? The cynic in me is seeing how such a scheme could be a money maker for the charter company. I've never chartered, so maybe this is all done during check in when you arrive. I just don't know.
Iíve never asked to see them, but I recall you are offered. Long ago, I began taking a look at the bottom on my first night out. Once, it was so fouled, it slowed us down by at least a full knot, probably more. Never went back to that operator, although, they werenít all bad, as they tried to make up for it. Every bottom Iíve ever seen from CYOA yacht charters has been just fine.
Rezz and bshock like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in