Hit a rock with chartered boat in Sardinia - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 Old 08-22-2019

Re: Hit a rock with chartered boat in Sardinia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Modern chartering sounds extremely dangerous to your wallet
The biggest risk is the dinghy. I don't recall much coverage for it at all. If it is stolen, it will ruin your vacation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 08-22-2019

My recollection is that dinghies are covered by some charter companies, provided that they are locked with a chain or cable - or at least, I have heard people being told that they will be liable unless they bring the severed cable with the locked padlock still in it.....
post #33 of 48 Old 08-22-2019

Dock

It appears the original poster has not been back on SailNet to comment on the thoughtful advice offered up.

The excellence of this forum is we give our best even when it appears underappreciated.

Hopefully he has read the replies.

Mark
chef2sail likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #34 of 48 Old 08-22-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telesail View Post
My recollection is that dinghies are covered by some charter companies, provided that they are locked with a chain or cable - or at least, I have heard people being told that they will be liable unless they bring the severed cable with the locked padlock still in it.....
Thats laying the opener on top of the can of worms...and just waiting
post #35 of 48 Old 08-23-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Modern chartering sounds extremely dangerous to your wallet
Situations like this are why we always charter with a Captain and crew/cook. I like having someone with the important "local knowledge" of what and what can not be done. Where we can and can not go. No stress for me, no financial liability just sitting back and enjoying the cruise.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

Last edited by mbianka; 08-23-2019 at 07:49 AM.
post #36 of 48 Old 08-23-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Situations like this are why we always charter with a Captain and crew/cook. I like having someone with the important "local knowledge" of what and what can not be done. Where we can and can not go. No stress for me, no financial liability just sitting back and enjoying the cruise.
Not for me, but I get it.

Do you ever take the helm? If so, I'm not sure you fully pass along liability in all jurisdictions. The boat may be insured, even the Captain. If you're not and hit that rock, the insurance company may then pursue whomever caused their loss, called subrogation.

Ultimately, we just don't want strangers aboard for our vacation. We do think about a stew/chef from time to time. Pretty cheap compared to restaurants, really. As much as we like to cook, it would be luxurious not to take the time, nor have to clean up.
mbianka likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #37 of 48 Old 08-23-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Not for me, but I get it.

Do you ever take the helm? If so, I'm not sure you fully pass along liability in all jurisdictions. The boat may be insured, even the Captain. If you're not and hit that rock, the insurance company may then pursue whomever caused their loss, called subrogation.

Ultimately, we just don't want strangers aboard for our vacation. We do think about a stew/chef from time to time. Pretty cheap compared to restaurants, really. As much as we like to cook, it would be luxurious not to take the time, nor have to clean up.
I spend enough time single handing my boat so I don't need to take the helm just for the experience. That's a kick for those who don't have their own boats. I would take the helm in an emergency or if the Captain asked. But, I'm not going to volunteer. I'd rather sit back with a cool drink looking for Dolphins, Whales etc...

I enjoy cooking on my own boat. But, having the cook on board for the charter is liberating. We can take showers and come on deck to enjoy some snacks and boat drinks while enjoying the sunset and we don't have to start cooking and as you mentioned there is no cleanup. We can spend the morning snorkeling and when we come on board lunch is ready. So nice!
SanderO and PhilCarlson like this.

Mike

post #38 of 48 Old 08-23-2019

And that is why I would never charter my boat!
RegisteredUser and mbianka like this.
post #39 of 48 Old 08-23-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I spend enough time single handing my boat so I don't need to take the helm just for the experience. That's a kick for those who don't have their own boats.....
Again, I get the point of view. However, I donít view our bareboating preference as wanting the experience. After tens of thousand of miles under the keel, thatís not what does it for me.

I chose sailing over power boating, because I enjoy having something to do, a challenge to overcome. Itís part of the pleasure. As a parallel, I can not stand sitting on a beach for more than 1 minute. If I never sat on a beach the rest of my life, that would be fine by me. However, if you want to have a bonfire, a party, play some volleyball, Iím all in for the mission. Mission oriented I guess. To each their own, no right or wrong.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #40 of 48 Old 08-25-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I chose sailing over power boating, because I enjoy having something to do, a challenge to overcome. Itís part of the pleasure. As a parallel, I can not stand sitting on a beach for more than 1 minute. If I never sat on a beach the rest of my life, that would be fine by me. However, if you want to have a bonfire, a party, play some volleyball, Iím all in for the mission. Mission oriented I guess. To each their own, no right or wrong.
Certainly understand and agree with sitting around on the beach. We also specifically tell the Captain no need to stop for shopping or the rum induced frivolity of beach bars. Our Mission is to snorkel along the nicest reefs in the areas we charter and do this two sometimes three times a day. This is where the local knowledge of the Captain comes in. Our usual plan is to have the Captain back the boat up to the reef, we jump off and he lays off with the boat. We snorkel until we have had enough and then signal the Captain who swings by with the boat to pick us up. Much easier, faster and less tension ( for me) than trying to anchor nearby and dingy over if we bare boated. This is what works for us.

Another concern besides the unfamiliarity of the waters and what happened to the OP. Is the unfamiliarity of the bareboat. We have been on charters where the engines water pump failed underway and another where the watermaker went kaput a few days into the charter. On a Captained charter it's not my problem. The Captains took care of both issues. The watermaker issue happened in the Maldives where the Captain had connections to get water from the Coca Cola factory at one of the islands. I was sucking down an ice cold beer while watching them fill the water tanks. For us the extra money spent for the crewed charter is worth it in the long run. Certainly the OP may have seen his savings go poof.

Mike

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in