Hit a rock with chartered boat in Sardinia - SailNet Community
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Hit a rock with chartered boat in Sardinia

Hi guys.

This is my first post here but I'm a bit desperate for advice. Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

I've been a skipper for chartered tours for 4 years now, never ran aground until yesterday.

Am sailing a 2017 Dufour 412.

I thought I was done navigating the shallow passage between Maddalena and Caprera, full of rocks, was going slow and had people on watch. A few seconds of distraction and overconfidence and just as I was reaching deeper waters on my way out, I hit the only rock surrounded by 10m depth... Bad luck but also stupid of me, was a clearly charted rock, I was just looking at the green buoy ahead.

Anyways, I can't change that now. Thankfully, the damage doesn't seem too bad. The keel bolts/hull all intact from the inside, no visible cracks, the bilge is completely dry. The keel isn't dented, only surface scratched.

But it's still undeniably damage which is my fault, and the damage deposit is €3500.

My question is: based on the pictures of the keel damage, is it reasonable for a charter company to insist on having the boat pulled out of the water for repairs? What should I reasonably expect to pay for this -- the whole damage deposit?

Thanks for your hopefully reassuring, but otherwise useful in any case, advice.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-20190819-WA0016_1566200003511.jpg   IMG-20190819-WA0015_1566200017553.jpg   IMG-20190819-WA0014_1566200090244.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dock
Re: Hit a rock with chartered boat in Sardinia

Well done getting good photos.

I don't know, but the experts on this forum will help.

Remember that many charter boats are not actually owned by the charter company but owned by normal people that put into charter on an agreement with the charter company. So if you owned the boat and you let someone else use it and they hit a rock, would you require a haul out for an in-depth (great pun! ) inspection?

As you can probably feel, like renting a car etc, they have ways of extracting max dollars from you. You are going to have to be very careful and fight hard not to kiss that Eur 3,500 away!!

Mark
capta likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #3 of 48 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Sorry to hear the predicament. Unfortunately, I can't see why they wouldn't haul the boat, unless they literally can't.

You may want to hire a local attorney to review your contract, for that kind of money on the line.
capta likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 48 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Unfortunately a haul out is a wise move. Often the damage is at the junction of the keel/keel stub to the canoe body and not visible without close inspection. This is most common at the aft end. Damage may even occur without the surface of the structures being disturbed but structural integrity lost. The involved areas may flex and return to nearly their pregrounding formation but strength lost. Frames and stringers maybe damaged internally. Even in the absence of much noticeable damage to an untrained eye a surveyor may find extensive damage at the haul.
They say itís not if you ever had a grounding but when. So well designed boats are built with this in mind. Unfortunately I know of boats that were considered totaled with no appreciable damage I could discern looking at them from 10í away while they were on jack stands. Cost of repair not considered justified by value of the boat.
Best you could do is be present at the survey or at least read it. Depending on outcome get an independent survey. If in agreement youíre unfortunately out of luck.
Iím much more stressed by coastal sailing. This possibility is one of the reasons why.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #5 of 48 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dock

Assuming you paid for the charter on a credit card, have a look at the insurance coverages offered by your credit card. Often overlooked but very handy, you'd be surprised how much they will cover.
capta likes this.
post #6 of 48 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dock

Also, it's important to look on the bright side: if you have caused some big damage to the boat you are capped at €3,500, you don't have to manage the repairs, nor ever have to worry if the fix is good.

Boat ownership can be devastating sometimes but you are insulated from it. In this occasion Chartering may have the best outcome.

Good luck.
boatpoker and Rezz like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #7 of 48 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Barquito

Maybe stay in communication with the charter company to keep tabs on the choices they are making. There may be a choice of where it is hauled. They may haul for longer than needed (to get other stuff done that had nothing to do with the grounding), etc.

Valiant 32
post #8 of 48 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Picnic Sailor

I agree with others. They will want to and it will need to be hauled.

However over here in the Med (where was the boat chartered out of? especially in Sicily you could haul and providing damage is just superficial as indicated you should get away with it for less than your 3500.

My whole haulout bill in Malta (dearer than most yards in Sicily) was less than 3500 and it included topside and stainless polishing, anodes a whole month on the hard and a bunch of other things.

I'm sorry you have had this misfortune. Best of luck with the charter company.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

post #9 of 48 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Amorous dolphin...?
post #10 of 48 Old 3 Weeks Ago

How do you know you did the damage? Maybe it was there before you chartered the boat. Are there pictures of the keel taken before you got on board? I wouldn't volunteer information. Good luck. Yea you bumped into something and you think it was a rock but did you actually see the keel make contact?

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in