where oh where did the coolant go? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
dadio917

where oh where did the coolant go?

just came into sf bay from Hawaii. bout 4 days out was shocked from sleep with hi temp alarm going off.. Sea strainer had some stuff but was still letting in water. took 1/2-3/4 gal of coolant? motored for several days to finish trip and coolant is low again. No coolant under the engine or bilge. Where could it be going? Head gasket? if so what other symptoms would I see. Engine runs fine except....this morning was really hard to start.
thanks

Dadio917
Valiant 39
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: where oh where did the coolant go?

Well if it's not leaking out anywhere it is in the oil . If it's not in the oil , I would suspect a leak in the heat exchanger and the coolant is going out with the raw water exhaust . Congratulations on your crossing .

Mark .

Westsail 28 , Patricia A
post #3 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Hope it is HX.

1st check.

Nice trip

post #4 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago

If it was in the oil I don't think that you would have motored for several days. Did you continue to look at your temp gauge to see if it was running hot? My guess is HX...had one rebuilt and it is running just fine now. Same symptoms. Hope that is your only problem.
post #5 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago

With a water laden exhaust it's probably alot harder to identify coolant being burned\consumed in the cylinders compared to a regular vehicle where you would see the white smoke and smell it burning.

Was it always hard to start? Hard start on a diesel could be a few things, including lost compression from a leak in the head gasket, which would also explain missing coolant. Not to say the sky is falling of course. See if you can sample some of the coolant inside the engine, see if it has any diesel mixed in with it which would also indicated a head gasket leak. It is possible for the leak to not drip when the engine is off, but once warmed up produce the leak. My blown head gasket on my Ram didn't leak a drop into the oil pan, but once the engine was started I could see the air bubbles pushing up into the radiator from the compression stroke, the intake stroke would suck a bit of coolant in and burn it then send it out the tailpipe. Coolant has to go somewhere in a closed system like this, and I do hope it's your HX in the end.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in