Deck organizers screwed into solid deck - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Deck organizers screwed into solid deck

It appears the deck organizers on my Seaward 23 is not through-bolted, but rather I assume just screwed into the deck. These carry the halyards for main and headsail. This is obviously not ideal, but how much should I worry about it? And should I try to drill and through-bolt them ASAP, or leave them alone? I'm considering contacting the manufacturer, but assume they would only defend their original setup.

This boat is solid fiberglass, so there is no core material to worry about, but I'm not sure how big a difference that makes? Does it hold (lateral forces) that much better? It does seems this configuration has after all worked for 30 years.. Keep in mind that this is a small boat, so the forces are much less.

I also have another deck organizer I want to install on the other side, for just a reefing line for now. I don't see much reason to not through-bolt this? Or should I even consider screwing that into the deck like the other one? Not having a hole is the only benefit I can think of..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Deck organizers screwed into solid deck

Many builders embed a metal plate where hardware like clutches and deck organizers are located.
PhilCarlson likes this.

"Just call me TB"
post #3 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago
One of None

Seaward is out of business aren't they?

If the loads on your deck organizers are anything other than horizontal something's not right

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

post #4 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago

In regards to the second organizer, do through bolt it. You'll need a few SS nuts, bolts, fender washers (or backing plate) a countersink bit and buytl tape.

In regards to the existing organizer: Have you removed a screw to inspect? If they are machine screws they are likely screwed into a metal plate as captb says, and you could leave it as it. But if they are wood screws, even though they have been fine for 30 years, I'd say yes through bolt them.
PhilCarlson likes this.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
post #5 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post

If the loads on your deck organizers are anything other than horizontal something's not right
Nope.
Seaward Yachts | Sail Without Boundaries
They also own island packet now.
post #6 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post

Iirc, hake took over ip and seaward
deniseO30 likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol299bob View Post
In regards to the second organizer, do through bolt it. You'll need a few SS nuts, bolts, fender washers (or backing plate) a countersink bit and buytl tape.

In regards to the existing organizer: Have you removed a screw to inspect? If they are machine screws they are likely screwed into a metal plate as captb says, and you could leave it as it. But if they are wood screws, even though they have been fine for 30 years, I'd say yes through bolt them.
Thanks, sounds good. Only potential issue with through bolting is that I worry it'll come through right were there is a bulkhead. I'll have to see if I can move it around and maybe avoid that, I think it's possible.

Strangely the handrails and cleats are through bolted. It's just the organizers that aren't. If I take the screws out I'm just a bit worried they won't grip when I put them back.. Through bolting also has the drawback that I'd require another person to hold one side (I think?). And I don't really have anyone to help me, my kids are still too young. I've had a buddy help with the outboard a couple times already so feel like that goodwill is "used up".. But I'm sure I can figure some solution.
post #8 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandium View Post
... If I take the screws out I'm just a bit worried they won't grip when I put them back.. Through bolting also has the drawback that I'd require another person to hold one side (I think?). And I don't really have anyone to help me, my kids are still too young. I've had a buddy help with the outboard a couple times already so feel like that goodwill is "used up".. But I'm sure I can figure some solution.
A machine screw will grip just fine after you back it out, you just need to do one. Wood screw; you know you need to replace it anyway.

Solo thru-bolting: The screw should be small enough that if you get it finger tight with a split ring lock washer, you should be able to tighten it without holding it still. If not, a small vice grip and some duct tape would do the trick.

Also, get the heavy fender washers. Standard thickness will deform when you tighten it down.
bristol299bob and Scandium like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to PhilCarlson For This Useful Post:
Scandium (4 Weeks Ago)
post #9 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago

If routed properly they are only under shear
bristol299bob likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Barquito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandium View Post
Thanks, sounds good. Only potential issue with through bolting is that I worry it'll come through right were there is a bulkhead. I'll have to see if I can move it around and maybe avoid that, I think it's possible.

Strangely the handrails and cleats are through bolted. It's just the organizers that aren't. If I take the screws out I'm just a bit worried they won't grip when I put them back.. Through bolting also has the drawback that I'd require another person to hold one side (I think?). And I don't really have anyone to help me, my kids are still too young. I've had a buddy help with the outboard a couple times already so feel like that goodwill is "used up".. But I'm sure I can figure some solution.
To keep sealant from getting all mushed-up, you may want to turn the nut onto the bolt, rather than turning the bolt in the hole. One way to do this, if the bolt is long enough, is to put two nuts on the bolt. The outer nut has a slot cut through. You can then put a vice-grip tightly on this slotted nut, and it will hold the bolt in place while you tighten the other nut. Sometimes the bolt has slightly more friction than the nut, and you can just tighten without holding it in place.

Valiant 32

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in