• 1 Post By RegisteredUser
  • 1 Post By overbored
  • 2 Post By deniseO30
  • 1 Post By JimsCAL
  • 3 Post By capt jgwinks

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Propane connections

I have a small section of (brass?) Tube that is cracked. It's in a locker that probably had something heavy crashing into it. I want to replace it and protect it- but not sure what it is. Maybe someone can help. I bought a copper tube and compresion fittings, but nut doesn't fit.
Original equipment on a Dutch built contest 36. Top is what I bought and bottom is the cracked pipe that needs replaced
Attached Thumbnails
20190823_095538_1566599879053.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: Propane connections

May be a tapered fitting or differe t thread.
You could also have a section of hose made up to connect/bridge and run high away from anything that might go bump.
I would plan to do this one time, hoping to never have to worry about it again...for years.
SanderO likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago

I am thinking the problem is the difference between European sized pipe threads and what you bought in USA. This looks to be a flare fitting and the sleeve also seems wrong.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #4 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago

looks like Din 2353 metric tube ferrule the one you bought is for copper but the old one is a ferrule and nut for steel tube fitting
SanderO likes this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #5 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago
One of None

PLEASE! do NOT use compression fittings for gas! The slightest vibration or movement makes the ferral swivel and leak! Please use Flare fittings or npt brass pipe & fittings. (Iron, galvanized iron, stainless pipe are ok too, except you have a marine environment)

OR! If you have a friend the hvac or plumbing business, they can get you special made convoluted stainless steel tubing & special fittings made for gas service, although it cost you more money. gastite and tracpipe are well-established manufacturers

https://youtu.be/DRCdi3bVFXU
SanderO and CVAT like this.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #6 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Having multiple connections in the propane line between the tank and the stove is not a good idea. Best practice is to run a single section of hose or tubing.
Minnewaska likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #7 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Having multiple connections in the propane line between the tank and the stove is not a good idea. Best practice is to run a single section of hose or tubing.
This ^^

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
I don't think this is an issue. The metal pipe I believe is connected to a shut off valve in the galley locker.

I recommend a solenoid with galley remote switch and replace hose and eliminate the in locker valve.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #9 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago

ABYC requires all connections except the final one at each appliance to be inside the propane tank locker. The standards are voluntary, follow them or not as you choose, but they are based on preventing practices that are known to cause problems.
Maine Sail, chef2sail and flyrod like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in