Halyards getting caught up on staysail fitting - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Halyards getting caught up on staysail fitting

Hey folks,

I have a staysail fitting about 2/3 up my mast. I'm sure it has a fancy name but I don't know what it is. Anyway, that fitting is almost 100% successful at catching one or more of my halyards at some point during a sail. What I mean is that the two halyards running down the aft side of the mast will, at some point when they are slack (coming about, for example), flip around to the front of the mast and get caught on the fitting. This sometimes inhibits raising a sail, sometimes lowering a sail, and today cost me an extra 20 minutes putting away the boat because I had one halyard trapped from one direction and the other halyard trapped from the other direction, and both of them were interfering with other rigging.

I'm considering--strongly--just removing that fitting, since I don't own a staysail and the corresponding deck fitting is not even installed at the moment. But I'm willing to entertain other ideas if there is a solution. Anyone dealing with this problem? I do recognize that I may be making some awful mistake with my line handling, but it seems to happen so easily under very benign conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: Halyards getting caught up on staysail fitting

I don't think that your halyards should be flapping all around; they should be taught holding the sails up.
post #3 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
I don't think that your halyards should be flapping all around; they should be taught holding the sails up.
True, but at some point they are slack. They can't always be taut. For example, this problem sometimes happens when I'm raising the main, and the main is luffing.

Now that I think about it, I keep my main halyard tied to the head of the sail at all times, so I can't really keep it taut when the sail is down (because if I tension the halyard then the sail starts to rise in the track). I did this for simplicity's sake, but maybe it contributes to the problem.

I was looking for a solution involving a fitting to keep the lines from snagging, but maybe I could change the way I handle the halyards also.

post #4 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Raising a sail with external halyards or any time there is little to no tension on it, there is the tendency for them to hook around anything possible. You shouldn't have any problem once the sail is up and the halyard properly tensioned, however. Make sure the halyard is clear when you begin hoisting the sail and you should be okay. If you aren't using the fitting, you could remove it. Another solution would be to install pad eyes or line guides on the mast near the fitting. Back in the good old days of wooden masts they made bronze eyes for keeping the halyards and lines in position.

If you are leaving the halyard attached to the sail when you are gone, would be willing to bet your slip mates are pissed at you. Nothing more annoying than improperly secured halyards slapping against masts when the wind is up.
SchockT likes this.

Last edited by roverhi; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:06 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Halyards should be disconnected when not in use so that they do not flop around. When the mainsail, or any sail, is lowered; the halyard is fastened to a strong point and pulled taught.
post #6 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Your halyards should never be loose enough to wrap around anything when the sail is up. If you are pulling the sail up, just step away from the mast a step or two to keep the halyard clear until it is time to put it on the winch to crank the halyard (jib or main) tight the last foot or so. Then it should not ever be loose enough to wrap around anything either.
As others have mentioned, you should disconnect all your halyards from your sails when not sailing and keep them tight. Slack halyards at anytime are just not good seamanship.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #7 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
If you are leaving the halyard attached to the sail when you are gone, would be willing to bet your slip mates are pissed at you.
When I have the sail cover on, the head is captured so I can tension the halyard, and I also use a bungee to pull both (main and spare) out towards the shrouds.
post #8 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Your halyards should never be loose enough to wrap around anything when the sail is up.
As I think through this, it seems to me that my problem mostly comes when lowering the sail. I'm usually feeding the halyard with one hand and gathering the sail with the other. Sometimes I have to let go of the halyard and put two hands on the sail, for example to put a tie on so it's not spilling all over the deck (the end of the halyard is secured so no chance of losing it).

At any rate, I know that when everything is set, the halyards should be tight, but in transition there will be some slack and it's not taking much to get wrapped on that fitting. And ONLY that fitting.
post #9 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago

If you can't outwit the halyards then perhaps you should just remove the unused fitting. Keep any hardware etc. as you may want to re-install it some day.
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago

A few things for you to consider

1 - if you want to leave the halyard attached to the main when it is lowered, run the halyard from the head of the sail *down* to a cleat, then up. Now when you tension the halyard it pulls the head of the sail down instead of up. I do this anytime I choose to leave the halyard attached.

2 - when lowering the sail, dont "feed" the halyard. The sail should come down by itself most of the time. If you need to "feed" the halyard to get the main down you probably need to lube or clean the main sail track. If, for whatever reason, you the sail does not come down install a down haul so that you can keep the halyard taught as you lower it.
chef2sail, scratchee and tempest like this.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in