Putting a boat on mothballs? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 3 Days Ago

Re: Putting a boat on mothballs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
...I would advise against running a small heater. In my experience all that does is vaporize the moisture, which will then condense on cold surfaces such as the engine, and accelerate corrosion.....
I think it's probably a fire hazard. However, logically, an engine in a heated engine room is going to absorb the same heat over time and be in equilibrium, so I don't think it can technically condensate. Unless you're literally not heating anything above the dewpoint.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I think it's probably a fire hazard. However, logically, an engine in a heated engine room is going to absorb the same heat over time and be in equilibrium, so I don't think it can technically condensate. Unless you're literally not heating anything above the dewpoint.
If you are talking about a "heated engine room" then I suppose that might be true. Most people put heaters in the main cabin area. Someone was suggesting a 100watt light bulb.

The fact is, even a 500watt heater would be hard pressed to maintain any significant AIR temperature, let alone also bringing the mass of the engine above dewpoint and keep it there. The exposed hull surfaces, windows and the engine are all going to be big heat sinks and will be significantly colder that the air temperature.

Don't worry about keeping the boat warm, because that will take too much energy. Instead just keep it dry! It's the moisture that causes most of the problems.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #13 of 24 Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
If you are talking about a "heated engine room" then I suppose that might be true. Most people put heaters in the main cabin area. Someone was suggesting a 100watt light bulb......
Yes, I meant only heating the engine compartment, as we're only talking about preserving the engine. I did not suggest the 100W bulb, I only mentioned I know folks that do it and it's sufficient to warm the compartment by 10 or 20 degrees. The engine heat soaks.

I think it's a fire hazard though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #14 of 24 Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Yes, I meant only heating the engine compartment, as we're only talking about preserving the engine. I did not suggest the 100W bulb, I only mentioned I know folks that do it and it's sufficient to warm the compartment by 10 or 20 degrees. The engine heat soaks.

I think it's a fire hazard though.
Yes, if it is just the engine you are concerned about there are many options to heat the engine safely. Self regulating heat trace tape can be applied to the sump, for example. As long as it is done properly I don't think heating the engine is a big fire risk.

But heating the engine alone does not do anything for preserving the rest of the boat, and mitigating the effects of humidity and condensation that are inevitable in a wet climate such as ours.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #15 of 24 Old 3 Days Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

If in the future you change your mind you would be trying to sell a boat which sat dormant for a while

As a buyer in the past, I would probably not even look at it.

No harm in getting out and putting the money in a future boat kitty.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
Rusty123 (3 Days Ago)
post #16 of 24 Old 3 Days Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
I think that "mothballing" the boat would essentially be giving up on it. If I were you I would keep the hope alive, and keep the boat ready to go sailing whenever you get the chance.

In terms of winterizing for our climate, I would advise against running a small heater. In my experience all that does is vaporize the moisture, which will then condense on cold surfaces such as the engine, and accelerate corrosion. You are much better off buying a dehumidifier, ideally one that has a built in condensate pump so you don't have to keep emptying the water. If you keep the interior humidity low you will not get nearly as much condensation, mold and mildew. Remove all the cushions from the boat and store them at home if you have space. If you must leave them on the boat, at least stack them in such a way that air can circulate around them.

With the engine, rather than fully winterizing you could make a point of running it every couple of weeks to keep varnish from building up in the fuel system. Warm it up, and run it in gear and under load.

If you dont think you will use it at all for 2 years, you should sell, and plan to buy something else when you retire. Perhaps your wife would be more inclined to be interested in something a bit bigger when the time comes.

Iím leaning towards this option, at least for now. I visit the boat frequently (the marina is only a few miles from my house), so I could easily run the engine occasionally.

I also have a dehumidifier and oil filled heater that I put in the boat in the winter (electricity is included in the slip fee, fortunately), so I think Iím in good shape there (Iíve never had a problem with mold or mildew ó humidity hangs around 65%, according to my hygrometer).

In the meantime, maybe I can get my life back under control...? Ah well, could be worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1981 Spirit 28 "Bonnie Lass"
Bremerton, Washington
post #17 of 24 Old 3 Days Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
With all the stress in your life I think that you should consider making a better effort at sailing the boat...it's a great way to relax. My wife and I go out many times during the winter. These are short sails. Typically we go out after lunch when the sun is up and have a good sail for 2 to 3 hours...that's plenty of time to replenish your soul. If you can't manage to use the boat a couple of times a month, I think that you should sell it.

This is probably the root of my problem. I canít seem to do anything fun unless all my work is done, which of course, it never is. Yes, Jack is a dull boy

Bremerton, Washington
post #18 of 24 Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty123 View Post
.....I visit the boat frequently (the marina is only a few miles from my house), so I could easily run the engine occasionally......
I'm not a fan of this method of engine preservation. Internal combustion actually creates moisture, as a by-product. If yout engine were theoretically fully dry, it's not the moment you start it up. In order not to do more harm than good, an engine needs to be run up to full temperature for a period of time, so this moisture is properly evaporated out of exhaust manifolds, blow by in the crankcase, etc. That's more than just warming up and engine, it needs to heat soak, so all components are at fully operating temp. This takes a long time, if it can be done at all, at the dock. It's best done underway.

Intermittent running does re-sling protective oil back onto components, which sheets off over time. However, you also have to be sure this oil hasn't become contaminated itself. Engine blow-by gases are corrosive and modern oils have additive to counteract this, but they wear out over time (which is why oils have calendar replacement, in addition to hours/miles). If these additives are ineffective, you're just spreading the toxic by-products of combustion blow by all over.

Once or twice are not death sentences for your motor. I wouldn't do this for the years you're contemplating, or even an entire winter.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #19 of 24 Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter

Putting a boat on mothballs?

Quote:
I'm not a fan of this method of engine preservation. Internal combustion actually creates moisture, as a by-product. If yout engine were theoretically fully dry, it's not the moment you start it up. In order not to do more harm than good, an engine needs to be run up to full temperature for a period of time, so this moisture is properly evaporated out of exhaust manifolds, blow by in the crankcase, etc. That's more than just warming up and engine, it needs to heat soak, so all components are at fully operating temp. This takes a long time, if it can be done at all, at the dock. It's best done underway.

Intermittent running does re-sling protective oil back onto components, which sheets off over time. However, you also have to be sure this oil hasn't become contaminated itself. Engine blow-by gases are corrosive and modern oils have additive to counteract this, but they wear out over time (which is why oils have calendar replacement, in addition to hours/miles). If these additives are ineffective, you're just spreading the toxic by-products of combustion blow by all over.

Once or twice are not death sentences for your motor. I wouldn't do this for the years you're contemplating, or even an entire winter.

Iím not sure if this makes matters better or worse (probably worse), but since this is a raw water cooled engine, operating temperature is only about 140F, vice the 175F or so that a FWC engine would be.

Bremerton, Washington
post #20 of 24 Old 2 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty123 View Post
Iím not sure if this makes matters better or worse (probably worse), but since this is a raw water cooled engine, operating temperature is only about 140F, vice the 175F or so that a FWC engine would be......
Cuts both way, I think. It will take just that much longer for your engine to get up to temperature and heat soak. However, Iíd much rather have stagnant salt water hanging out solely in a heat exchanger than resident in cooling passages throughout the engine.

Ultimately, I wouldnít do either. Iíd pickle the engine.

Jeanneau 54DS

The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
Rusty123 (2 Days Ago)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in