Putting a boat on mothballs? - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter

Putting a boat on mothballs?

I have a modest 28 feet sailboat that Iíve spent a fair amount of time and money upgrading. I like her a lot, and would really like to do some coastal cruising around the Salish Sea at some point.

My problem is that my life doesnít really seem to have room for that right now, Between a new (to me) house with lots of projects, new job, ailing father moved in, wife started new job and Masterís degree, etc, etc. All in all, boat hasnít left the dock in over a year (though I visit her a couple times a week to check the bilge and daydream).

Iím retirement eligible in about four years, and I keep telling myself that life will eventually slow down, though Iím not certain thatís true.

Logic says I should sell and buy later if/when life allows. But I hate the idea of basically giving away my efforts so far and starting over again.

So Iím trying to figure out the best way to put the boat on mothballs for a few years. Weather is moderate here, so no real need to winterize. Sails are currently off the boat and stored. Iíve been keeping the hull and cabin cleaned up.

My biggest concern is the diesel. Itís an old Yanmar raw water cooled 2QM15. Still runs good, but getting old and parts are hard to come by. Not sure if I should flush all the seawater out, change the oil and button it up, or take it out for a few laps around the marina every month or so. Part of me wants to forget about it and save up for a new Beta engine when the time comes, but $$$$.

Any suggestions or better ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1981 Spirit 28 "Bonnie Lass"
Bremerton, Washington
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 4 Days Ago
Master Mariner

Re: Putting a boat on mothballs?

Nothing is worse for a boat than not using it. Most boats stored for a long period ashore aren't worth very much in the end.
However, one thing that came to mind when you mentioned your wife was whether she intended to join you in your eventual sailing endeavours. If so, a 28 foot boat might be a bit small for a retirement age couple to comfortably live and cruise aboard for any length of time. This could be a good reason to divest yourself of the boat now and upgrade when you are ready to go sailing.
As far as preparing the engine for storage, I would definitely rinse the cooling system with fresh water very, very well and then fill it up with a rust inhibitor, or antifreeze. I'd also loosen the belts, remove the impeller and of course, remove the battery. Put an oily rag in the air intake and do what you can to keep the engine itself from rusting. With all the rain up that way, this might be the impossible dream after any length of time.
GLausin likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
Rusty123 (3 Days Ago)
post #3 of 24 Old 4 Days Ago

Dock

I think Logic is your friend here. Consider these points:
-The best way to store a boat is out of the water. Even then it will deteriorate. Even more the case if left in the water unused.
-Unless you are getting the deal of a lifetime on your slip, your storage cost over four years would more than pay for a decent 28 footer.
-The longer it sits, the harder it will be to sell.
-If you hold it, your very best case is an under-used 28 footer that has four more years of dockside deterioration on it.

I think you're better off selling and upgrading when the time comes.

Maybe take some pictures and put it on craigslist with a "make me sell" price and see what happens. An actual offer might change your perspective. And potential buyers might be an excuse to take her out!!
GLausin likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to PhilCarlson For This Useful Post:
Rusty123 (3 Days Ago)

post #4 of 24 Old 4 Days Ago

You need to do some tough soul searching to decide whether this boat is worth storing. Can't help with that.

Capta's post contains most of what I'd suggest for storing the engine. I'd add there are fogging sprays that you should spray into the cylinders, via the injector ports, and manually turn the motor over to coat the pistons, rings and cyclinder walls. You might as well just plug the ports with corks, afterward, because you'll probably want to service the injectors, if they sit for years. Also, I'd change the oil, replace it and change it again to flush out all contaminants. I'd add an engine flush to the warm up before the first change to help remove corrosive sludge. There are additives you can put in fresh oil for long term storage, which are worth considering. If you have a heat exchanger, change the coolant side, as the anti-corrosion properties wear off over time. You may want to insert a desiccant into the intake and breather to absorb moisture.

There is a logic that says, if you can keep something just far enough above the dewpoint, corrosive condensation can't form. I know some that simply put a 100w incandescent bulb in the engine compartment full time, which raises even cold temps by 10 or 20 degrees. Not sure that isn't a fire hazard, so proceed at your own risk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
Rusty123 (3 Days Ago)
post #5 of 24 Old 4 Days Ago

I don't believe I'd gain much "peace of mind" storing the boat on the hard and it's still a financial drain you'll need to take care of and you got plenty of those. If there was a chance I could use it a couple times a month I'd keep it, otherwise let it go. Here in Socal everyday a boat is on the hard is like a step toward the grave, anything more than a week just increases the odds it'll never float again.

What a great opportunity it would be to start over with everything you know now for that next boat when the time comes.

"Just call me TB"
The Following User Says Thank You to capttb For This Useful Post:
Rusty123 (3 Days Ago)
post #6 of 24 Old 4 Days Ago

With all the stress in your life I think that you should consider making a better effort at sailing the boat...it's a great way to relax. My wife and I go out many times during the winter. These are short sails. Typically we go out after lunch when the sun is up and have a good sail for 2 to 3 hours...that's plenty of time to replenish your soul. If you can't manage to use the boat a couple of times a month, I think that you should sell it.
GeorgiaTerrapin likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to paulinnanaimo For This Useful Post:
Rusty123 (3 Days Ago)
post #7 of 24 Old 4 Days Ago

Boat camping weekends...schedule them months out.
The Following User Says Thank You to RegisteredUser For This Useful Post:
Rusty123 (3 Days Ago)
post #8 of 24 Old 4 Days Ago
One of None

Sell it, be happy for whatever price you get, that's what I did.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
The Following User Says Thank You to deniseO30 For This Useful Post:
Rusty123 (3 Days Ago)
post #9 of 24 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter

Lots of great suggestions here...many thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1981 Spirit 28 "Bonnie Lass"
Bremerton, Washington
post #10 of 24 Old 3 Days Ago

I think that "mothballing" the boat would essentially be giving up on it. If I were you I would keep the hope alive, and keep the boat ready to go sailing whenever you get the chance.

In terms of winterizing for our climate, I would advise against running a small heater. In my experience all that does is vaporize the moisture, which will then condense on cold surfaces such as the engine, and accelerate corrosion. You are much better off buying a dehumidifier, ideally one that has a built in condensate pump so you don't have to keep emptying the water. If you keep the interior humidity low you will not get nearly as much condensation, mold and mildew. Remove all the cushions from the boat and store them at home if you have space. If you must leave them on the boat, at least stack them in such a way that air can circulate around them.

With the engine, rather than fully winterizing you could make a point of running it every couple of weeks to keep varnish from building up in the fuel system. Warm it up, and run it in gear and under load.

If you dont think you will use it at all for 2 years, you should sell, and plan to buy something else when you retire. Perhaps your wife would be more inclined to be interested in something a bit bigger when the time comes.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
The Following User Says Thank You to SchockT For This Useful Post:
Rusty123 (3 Days Ago)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in