Pettit barnacle buster vs rustoleum cold galvanizing compound - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 Old 11 Hours Ago
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Re: Pettit barnacle buster vs rustoleum cold galvanizing compound

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
You are missing most of the information in that post like the part of the MSDS sheet that says the Pettit also contains lead, zinc and cadmium which is further down the page
I'm not "missing" it. Those ingredients (if they exist) are simply not listed in the "Composition/Information on Ingredients" section of the Pettit product's SDS. The solids are listed in the corresponding section of the Rustolem spray's SDS however.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 3 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
the part of the MSDS sheet that says the Pettit also contains lead,
Lead won't kill the barnacles but it will make them dumber!
capta likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 1 Hour Ago

Wow, one of the few certainties in life is the impossibility of killing a good rumor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I have used both (for different applications) and they are definitely not the same. (Why would they be? They are totally different companies, and formulated for different applications.)

Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing compound dries to a much softer, less durable film. You can easily scratch it off with your fingernail. I've never tried it on a prop (or any marine application), but I am surprised it does not quickly ablate off the blades. I suppose it's possible that this soft material ablates at just the right rate to last a season while it prevents hard growth, but that would be a remarkable coincidence given the extremely strong shear experienced by a prop blade.

Pettit Barnacle Barrier is a much harder, more durable paint. I can tell you from experience that it is almost impossible to remove once fully cured.

You know what they say: "If you read it on the Internet, it must be true....NOT!"

I suspect that there are people out there who see the same zinc level and assume it's the same stuff. There's a lot more to paint than just the amount of zinc. There are multiple resin chemistries, and use of fillers that give various mechanical properties which are critically important to the paint's durability over time. A healthy dose of skepticism is required of any claimed internet experts - including me!

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Tags
anti fouling paint bronze

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in