How do I find freelance help for small-medium jobs on old boat - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

How do I find freelance help for small-medium jobs on old boat

This isn't exactly a job posting, but more of a "where do I look" post on the forum I usually go to.

I have lots of small-medium jobs on a 45 year old boat that I know how to do, but don't have the time. I would provide tools and techniques, and a bit of weekend work + errands, but the helper would spend days redoing port lights, re-bedding stanchions, etc.

If you have hired someone for this kind of work, where did you find them, and how did you work with them. Did you pay them hourly, or by the project? What was your experience?

I'm in Vancouver, BC, for what it's worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock
Re: How do I find freelance help for small-medium jobs on old boat

I snagged a person a few years ago when I was doing a large haulout and the yard was doing a lot of the work but I wanted help.
Got this old guy who was a charter boat captain, but it had just sunk in a hurricane. He was sitting in a bar feeling sad and sorry and going broke.

I could only pay him $10 per hour. 4 hours per day. 4 hours was perfect so he could have time to go do job interviews and not so long as someone loses enthusiasm in the hot sun (this 4 hour bit is *very* important).
He really enjoyed tinkering around the boat. He really felt worthwhile as he came down from the stress of losing his boat. It got him off the bottle.

If you can find someone who is retired and maybe a bit down, if could be a perfect fit for both of you. I don't know if theres a Seamans Mission near you?

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #3 of 4 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by driggers View Post
This isn't exactly a job posting, but more of a "where do I look" post on the forum I usually go to.

I have lots of small-medium jobs on a 45 year old boat that I know how to do, but don't have the time. I would provide tools and techniques, and a bit of weekend work + errands, but the helper would spend days redoing port lights, re-bedding stanchions, etc.

If you have hired someone for this kind of work, where did you find them, and how did you work with them. Did you pay them hourly, or by the project? What was your experience?

I'm in Vancouver, BC, for what it's worth.
Your best bet is to drop by the local boatyards and ask around. The staff there would know guys that regularly do work in the yard.

Of course those guys are going to be professionals who expect to get paid reasonably well for their labour.

If you are looking for cheap labour I suppose you could try looking on craigslist and other places for people looking for work, but I would be very wary about unleashing an unknown "handyman" on a boat, if they are not familiar with such work.

Remember, you usually get what you pay for. Skilled tradesmen are in high demand in Vancouver, so if they are any good they will command good money for their work.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

post #4 of 4 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Most good brokers are going to have a stable of repair people and general workers. You're probably not going to find anyone willing to work for beer, but you should be able to find qualified professionals who will do the work well.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in