Shore plug installation - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-13-2019 Thread Starter

Shore plug installation

Hi,

Can I output a 15 amp female plug out of the 30 amp shore plug ?

I am planning to install a shore plug on the boat today. Is it possible to connect it to a normal 15 or 20 amp plug inside the boat with just the marine wire or do I need some conversion in between?

All advice is welcome, I don't want an electrical fire )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-13-2019

Re: Shore plug installation

Yes, you can connect a 15amp outlet to your shore power, however you need to have an appropriate sized circuit breaker for the wiring between the 30a service and the 15a branch circuit for the outlet.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Attachment 125064

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

Last edited by SchockT; 10-13-2019 at 03:11 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-13-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks SchockT

Would the fuse on the 15 amp plug be enough?

post #4 of 11 Old 10-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasadena View Post
Thanks SchockT

Would the fuse on the 15 amp plug be enough?
You mean the breaker built in to a GFI outlet? Technically it would serve to interrupt power to the outlet in the event of over current or ground fault in the appliance that is plugged into the outlet, however it does not serve exactly the same purpose as the breaker on the branch circuit. The branch circuit breaker is there to protect the conductors from over current. Because the branch circuit wiring is a lighter gauge than the 30a feeder circuit you need to be able to limit the maximum current flow through the entire circuit. If you don't have a breaker on the branch circuit you could theoretically draw a full 30a through the wiring causing it to overheat.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
oysterman23 and CVAT like this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #5 of 11 Old 10-13-2019

You can purchase a 30 amp male plug to 20 amp female receptacle cord if that's what you are trying to achieve. I have used these for an extension cord when working on boats where the AC wiring was suspect. Keep in mind however that as ShockT alluded to this does not allow for any over current protection. Even if you used an extension cord with 10 gauge wire ( which I do ) the weak link is the 20 amp female receptacle. This Scenario only works while you are attending the boat. Not something to use if you are going to leave for any reason. Receptacles can and do literally burn up. (Job Security for electricians )
post #6 of 11 Old 10-13-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks SchockT,

I thought It was a simpler job but we concluded that we have to install a proper breaker box. We already have one for the 12v but we need a separate one for the 125v shore power. A lot to learn in the process )
post #7 of 11 Old 10-14-2019

just went thru this as our powerheads were replaced after Florence...

We simply use a Marinco adaptor to convert 30 amp 3 prong twist lock male into powerhead, 15-20 amp output female, heavy duty extension cord to boat, we use it only to keep battery topped off, run a small vacuum or other appliance, etc., occasionally. Works for us on our C22, YMMV.

$33 buks on Amazon prime, $77 at WM!
post #8 of 11 Old 10-14-2019
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasadena View Post
Thanks SchockT,

I thought It was a simpler job but we concluded that we have to install a proper breaker box. We already have one for the 12v but we need a separate one for the 125v shore power. A lot to learn in the process )
Don't forget that the ground on your new AC panel must be joined to your DC negative.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Don't forget that the ground on your new AC panel must be joined to your DC negative.
And now that you do this you will want to add a Galvanic isolator to the AC ground so you do not use your anodes to protect all the other boats in the marina that are using the common AC ground on their shore power.
boatpoker and CVAT like this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Last edited by overbored; 10-14-2019 at 02:44 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-14-2019
Dirt Free

120VAC, 12VDC and water do not mix well.

Be aware that boat electrics, while not rocket science differ significanly from "home" electrics.

Even highy qualified land based electricians may not be aware of these differences, most based around polarity, E.L.C.i.'s, gounding, ignition protection, galvanic isolation, bonding and neutral/ground bonds.

By all means save a few bucks by doing it yourself but be aware that mixing two electrical systems and water can damage your boat or hurt you if not done properly.

Educate yourself before sticking your fingers in there.

My first big project involved 4 battery banks (12 &24vdc), Four battery switches,entirely new AC and DC systems, generator, battery charger and inverter. I installed everything myself then hired a Certified Marine Electrician to check it out before making the final connections. Best $120 I ever spent.
SanderO and RegisteredUser like this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in