Alternatives to the Origo stoves? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 41 Old 10-16-2019

Re: Alternatives to the Origo stoves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemurray View Post
...My wife cooks on it 2-3 times a day. A gallon of fuel last about 10 days at those rates.......
Really? That's interesting. I'm certain that an equivalent volume of propane would last substantially longer. Seems like alcohol fuel storage would be a negative, if you're cruising full time.

We had alcohol stoves, when I was a kid. The blind flame is the biggest negative. I'd never, ever go back, not that I expect that to influence the OP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 Old 10-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Maybe look into reasons they are discontinued.
Probably because itís hard to turn a profit when people only need to buy one of something. Origos are bulletproof - virtually indestructible. Ours is original to the boat (1977) and works perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemurray View Post
My wife cooks on it 2-3 times a day. A gallon of fuel last about 10 days at those rates.
That seems like an awful lot of fuel. We have been cruising full-time for almost 14 months and use our Origo every day, but average just under a gallon a month. Do use use rubber gaskets over the canisters? We do have a few fuel-saving techniques when we make pasta or cook beans (with an added bonus of not heating up the boat when itís already hot out). Maybe that explains the difference.
Arcb likes this.

"Pegu Club"
1977 Bristol 29.9

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cthoops; 10-16-2019 at 10:22 AM.
post #13 of 41 Old 10-16-2019
Sailor

We love our propane stove. It’s easy to use, efficient, and safe. It burns hotter than alcohol so you cook faster and better. You don’t need to build a locker for your propane, just find a place to hang your tank. Tanks come in different sizes too. We have an 11# aluminum tank that was long and skinny that hung from my davits support until we stopped using a propane grill. You should install a solenoid to make certain there is no propane flowing into the boat in the unlikely event you have a leak.

Tod

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay

post #14 of 41 Old 10-16-2019

Seems to me that alcohol is the better choice for part timers and propane for full timers. Propane requiring more diligence to remain safe over time. Don't know that I would want to go to the trouble to convert to propane but if you do it will allow you the opportunity to insure that the system is done properly and that all the appropriate precautions are taken. Boat Poker could probably chime in on this with good advice if you choose to go that route.
Minnesail likes this.
post #15 of 41 Old 10-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Alcohol stoves have cosiderably less BTU than propane. ....just a thought.
In general this is true, but it depends on the propane stove. Iíve been on some charter boats with wimpy a** stoves that take at least as long as my Origo to get a pot of water boiling.

At least on my Origo the flame is not invisible. Maybe there are impurities in the fuel I buy, I donít know, but I can definitely see the flame on my stove. The exception is when I have it turned wayyyyyyy down low, like just barely lit to keep a pot of coffee warm but not boiling. Then the flame is invisible and it would be easy to forget about it, which is a safety hazard.

Different strokes for different folks. Last time I cooked on a big boat I had all four burners going and two pans cooking in the oven! Thatís not gonna happen with an Origo. On the other hand it would be absurd to fit a propane system to a 22í boat like mine.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #16 of 41 Old 10-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
.... On the other hand it would be absurd to fit a propane system to a 22í boat like mine.
Just keep x number of 1lb bottles onboard, refilling them from the 20lb at home.
Camp stove
oysterman23 likes this.
post #17 of 41 Old 10-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Just keep x number of 1lb bottles onboard, refilling them from the 20lb at home.
Camp stove
I have the 1 lb bottles for my Magma, but the Origo is a lot more convenient.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #18 of 41 Old 10-16-2019

Our last boat had a Kenyon pressurized alcohol stove which I hated. We ripped that oven and stove out and put an extra cupboard and countertop in its place. We then bought a couple of portable butane stoves and used those. The nice thing about them is that when we weren't using them we could put them in their cases and stow them away. We could also use them in the cockpit, or on the dock if we wanted to. The butane canisters were cheap and easy to find. Butane has 2.5 times the calorific value of propane, so it takes much less to boil a pot of water.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000...dp/B00FGPXVSM#

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #19 of 41 Old 10-16-2019

The problem with butane is the boiling point is about -0.5 C. Which means the stoves stop working at about -0.5 Celcius. Not a problem in warm weather, but not ideal after about mid october here in Ottawa. Even though my sailing season is generally over by early December, I still will spend time on the boat on the hard. Doing projects, or even just hanging out. Nice to be able to make a pot of tea or have some heat, both on and off the water in cooler temperatures.
post #20 of 41 Old 10-16-2019

Butane stoves look pretty slick. Like propane, butane is heavier than air so there's a safety issue with keeping the canisters in the cabin.

I've had those 1lb camping canisters of propane leak. I don't completely trust them. I don't know about butane canisters, maybe they're built better.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in