Alternatives to the Origo stoves? - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 10-15-2019 Thread Starter

Alternatives to the Origo stoves?

So, I was planning to install an Origo alcohol stove on my sailboat. However, it seems that Dometic has stopped making them.

I'm considering buying a used one. But I'm also using this as an opportunity to consider other options.

My reasons for choosing the Origo in the first place:
* This boat never had a propane system, so installing a propane stove would be a big job to build the lockers and everything.
* I like the fact that the Origo can run off multiple fuels and doesn't require pressurized fuel.

So, does anyone know of any options similar to the Origo stoves that I should investigate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 10-15-2019

Send a message via Skype™ to mackrobertson
Re: Alternatives to the Origo stoves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoran View Post
So, I was planning to install an Origo alcohol stove on my sailboat. However, it seems that Dometic has stopped making them.

I'm considering buying a used one. But I'm also using this as an opportunity to consider other options.

My reasons for choosing the Origo in the first place:
* This boat never had a propane system, so installing a propane stove would be a big job to build the lockers and everything.
* I like the fact that the Origo can run off multiple fuels and doesn't require pressurized fuel.

So, does anyone know of any options similar to the Origo stoves that I should investigate?
I recommend a change to propane which is readily available in all countries and in most cases the cooking gas is price controled.

However, Optimus-Primus used to make a Diesel or Kerosene stove that doesn't need a pre-start (pre-heat) fluid like alcohol. I bought a 2-burner counter top for my Herreshoff 28 ketch in the 80's. I don't know if they still make them. I have seen them on eBay under "vintage" stoves.

Since then, I have owned two different boats with alcohol stoves on them, which I promptly decommissioned and replaced with Propane stoves.

My bad experiences with ALCOHOL include;

1.) Severe stinging of the eyes when I used the alcohol stove on both boats and
2.) An alcohol fire on a sailboat while crossing the gulf in rough weather. The generator wasn't preheated enough and fluid came out of the burner and caught on fire.
3.) The flames are very hard to see and it burns on the top of water which was used to attempt to put it out. It left a lot of damage on the cabin sole...

Mack
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #3 of 41 Old 10-15-2019

You can strap propane on the back

post #4 of 41 Old 10-15-2019

My understanding is some suppliers still have some stock of new Origo stoves if you call around.

It really is hard to beat an Origo for simplicity and safety and fuels available pretty much any where that sells paint, so no problem there.

Unfortunately the only other quality non pressurised alcohol stove I know of is the Trangia, but they are more a camping stove than marine. Not really the same thing.

I have ripped propane systems out of 2 boats for the simplicity of alcohol. I am hoping some one takes over production of Origos from Dometec, but for now, my Origo is on its third boat and has a lot of service life left in it.
contrarian and BillMoran like this.
post #5 of 41 Old 10-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackrobertson View Post

2.) An alcohol fire on a sailboat while crossing the gulf in rough weather. The generator wasn't preheated enough and fluid came out of the burner and caught on fire.
I think this must have been a pressurized alcohol stove.

Origo stoves are unpressurized and require no preheat. They are much, much, much safer than pressurized stoves.

I’m sorry to hear they’re no longer being made. I have the one-burner model in my boat and I’m quite fond of it.

There used to be a knockoff by Cookmate, but it looks like they aren’t made any longer either.

The good news is that they’re very well built and have very few moving parts so there’s not much to break. They should be available used for a long time to come.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #6 of 41 Old 10-15-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackrobertson View Post
I recommend a change to propane which is readily available in all countries and in most cases the cooking gas is price controled.

However, Optimus-Primus used to make a Diesel or Kerosene stove that doesn't need a pre-start (pre-heat) fluid like alcohol. I bought a 2-burner counter top for my Herreshoff 28 ketch in the 80's. I don't know if they still make them. I have seen them on eBay under "vintage" stoves.

Since then, I have owned two different boats with alcohol stoves on them, which I promptly decommissioned and replaced with Propane stoves.

1.) Severe stinging of the eyes when I used the alcohol stove on both boats and
3.) The flames are very hard to see and it burns on the top of water which was used to attempt to put it out. It left a lot of damage on the cabin sole...

Mack
Are you referring to a pressurized alcohol stove? Sounds like, as the non-pressurized systems (like Origo) don't have a generator or any preheating.
post #7 of 41 Old 10-15-2019

We were fortunate and just bought one a few months ago before they stopped selling. I replaced an old pressure alcohol stove. The Origo is fantastic. I’m so glad we were able to get one. Easy to buy fuel for (i get mine at lowes usually). Denatured alcohol is very easy to buy just about anywhere. The stove lights very easy and works great, haven’t used the oven yet. My wife cooks on it 2-3 times a day. A gallon of fuel last about 10 days at those rates. I had the same concerns as you running propane on a small boat. I would definitely try and find a used or left over.
post #8 of 41 Old 10-15-2019

Maybe look into reasons they are discontinued.
post #9 of 41 Old 10-15-2019

I have been trying to find something concrete, only found unsubstantiated internet forum rumors. I would like to know why they were discontunued.

If some one has a link I would like to know the why. Best stoves I have ever used.
post #10 of 41 Old 10-16-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Alcohol stoves have cosiderably less BTU than propane. ....just a thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in