SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Alternatives to the Origo stoves?

54K views 98 replies 35 participants last post by  SanderO 
#1 ·
So, I was planning to install an Origo alcohol stove on my sailboat. However, it seems that Dometic has stopped making them.

I'm considering buying a used one. But I'm also using this as an opportunity to consider other options.

My reasons for choosing the Origo in the first place:
* This boat never had a propane system, so installing a propane stove would be a big job to build the lockers and everything.
* I like the fact that the Origo can run off multiple fuels and doesn't require pressurized fuel.

So, does anyone know of any options similar to the Origo stoves that I should investigate?

#2 ·
I recommend a change to propane which is readily available in all countries and in most cases the cooking gas is price controled.

However, Optimus-Primus used to make a Diesel or Kerosene stove that doesn't need a pre-start (pre-heat) fluid like alcohol. I bought a 2-burner counter top for my Herreshoff 28 ketch in the 80's. I don't know if they still make them. I have seen them on eBay under "vintage" stoves.

Since then, I have owned two different boats with alcohol stoves on them, which I promptly decommissioned and replaced with Propane stoves.

My bad experiences with ALCOHOL include;

1.) Severe stinging of the eyes when I used the alcohol stove on both boats and
2.) An alcohol fire on a sailboat while crossing the gulf in rough weather. The generator wasn't preheated enough and fluid came out of the burner and caught on fire.
3.) The flames are very hard to see and it burns on the top of water which was used to attempt to put it out. It left a lot of damage on the cabin sole...

Mack

#5 ·
My bad experiences with ALCOHOL include;

2.) An alcohol fire on a sailboat while crossing the gulf in rough weather. The generator wasn't preheated enough and fluid came out of the burner and caught on fire.
I think this must have been a pressurized alcohol stove.

Origo stoves are unpressurized and require no preheat. They are much, much, much safer than pressurized stoves.

I'm sorry to hear they're no longer being made. I have the one-burner model in my boat and I'm quite fond of it.

There used to be a knockoff by Cookmate, but it looks like they aren't made any longer either.

The good news is that they're very well built and have very few moving parts so there's not much to break. They should be available used for a long time to come.

#4 ·
My understanding is some suppliers still have some stock of new Origo stoves if you call around.

It really is hard to beat an Origo for simplicity and safety and fuels available pretty much any where that sells paint, so no problem there.

Unfortunately the only other quality non pressurised alcohol stove I know of is the Trangia, but they are more a camping stove than marine. Not really the same thing.

I have ripped propane systems out of 2 boats for the simplicity of alcohol. I am hoping some one takes over production of Origos from Dometec, but for now, my Origo is on its third boat and has a lot of service life left in it.

#7 ·
We were fortunate and just bought one a few months ago before they stopped selling. I replaced an old pressure alcohol stove. The Origo is fantastic. I’m so glad we were able to get one. Easy to buy fuel for (i get mine at lowes usually). Denatured alcohol is very easy to buy just about anywhere. The stove lights very easy and works great, haven’t used the oven yet. My wife cooks on it 2-3 times a day. A gallon of fuel last about 10 days at those rates. I had the same concerns as you running propane on a small boat. I would definitely try and find a used or left over.

#11 ·
...My wife cooks on it 2-3 times a day. A gallon of fuel last about 10 days at those rates.......
Really? That's interesting. I'm certain that an equivalent volume of propane would last substantially longer. Seems like alcohol fuel storage would be a negative, if you're cruising full time.

We had alcohol stoves, when I was a kid. The blind flame is the biggest negative. I'd never, ever go back, not that I expect that to influence the OP.

#12 · (Edited)
Probably because it's hard to turn a profit when people only need to buy one of something. Origos are bulletproof - virtually indestructible. Ours is original to the boat (1977) and works perfectly.

My wife cooks on it 2-3 times a day. A gallon of fuel last about 10 days at those rates.
That seems like an awful lot of fuel. We have been cruising full-time for almost 14 months and use our Origo every day, but average just under a gallon a month. Do use use rubber gaskets over the canisters? We do have a few fuel-saving techniques when we make pasta or cook beans (with an added bonus of not heating up the boat when it's already hot out). Maybe that explains the difference.

#15 ·
In general this is true, but it depends on the propane stove. I've been on some charter boats with wimpy a** stoves that take at least as long as my Origo to get a pot of water boiling.

At least on my Origo the flame is not invisible. Maybe there are impurities in the fuel I buy, I don't know, but I can definitely see the flame on my stove. The exception is when I have it turned wayyyyyyy down low, like just barely lit to keep a pot of coffee warm but not boiling. Then the flame is invisible and it would be easy to forget about it, which is a safety hazard.

Different strokes for different folks. Last time I cooked on a big boat I had all four burners going and two pans cooking in the oven! That's not gonna happen with an Origo. On the other hand it would be absurd to fit a propane system to a 22' boat like mine.

#13 ·
We love our propane stove. It’s easy to use, efficient, and safe. It burns hotter than alcohol so you cook faster and better. You don’t need to build a locker for your propane, just find a place to hang your tank. Tanks come in different sizes too. We have an 11# aluminum tank that was long and skinny that hung from my davits support until we stopped using a propane grill. You should install a solenoid to make certain there is no propane flowing into the boat in the unlikely event you have a leak.

Tod

#14 ·
Seems to me that alcohol is the better choice for part timers and propane for full timers. Propane requiring more diligence to remain safe over time. Don't know that I would want to go to the trouble to convert to propane but if you do it will allow you the opportunity to insure that the system is done properly and that all the appropriate precautions are taken. Boat Poker could probably chime in on this with good advice if you choose to go that route.

#18 ·
Our last boat had a Kenyon pressurized alcohol stove which I hated. We ripped that oven and stove out and put an extra cupboard and countertop in its place. We then bought a couple of portable butane stoves and used those. The nice thing about them is that when we weren't using them we could put them in their cases and stow them away. We could also use them in the cockpit, or on the dock if we wanted to. The butane canisters were cheap and easy to find. Butane has 2.5 times the calorific value of propane, so it takes much less to boil a pot of water.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000020951-Butane-Stove/dp/B00FGPXVSM#

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

#19 ·
The problem with butane is the boiling point is about -0.5 C. Which means the stoves stop working at about -0.5 Celcius. Not a problem in warm weather, but not ideal after about mid october here in Ottawa. Even though my sailing season is generally over by early December, I still will spend time on the boat on the hard. Doing projects, or even just hanging out. Nice to be able to make a pot of tea or have some heat, both on and off the water in cooler temperatures.

#20 ·
Butane stoves look pretty slick. Like propane, butane is heavier than air so there's a safety issue with keeping the canisters in the cabin.

I've had those 1lb camping canisters of propane leak. I don't completely trust them. I don't know about butane canisters, maybe they're built better.

#22 ·
Im a big fan of my Origo and sad to see that they are no longer available.

I think it's important to make the distinction between the "old fashioned" pressurized alcohol stoves and the Origo, unpressurized alcohol stove. They are two completely different animals. That they use the same fuel is the *only* common between them. Most of us that have used pressurized alcohol stoves have had a bad experience. But that has no bearing on the suitability of the unpressurized stoves.

My Origo is a pleasure to use, very safe, and hot. I use it a lot on it and never a complaint (from either cook or guests)

#23 ·
I think I can speak with at least some authority. On our 26' boat we have an Origo fixed non pressure stove. We also have a 5# propane bottle mounted on the toe rail and secured to a stanchion which powers the small sized Force 10 bbq. And we also have a propane tank feeding the propane stove and bbq in our tent trailer.
I don't think there is any argument that propane is more efficient and overall less money is spent on fuel. However, as was mentioned earlier, going to the effort and expense of installing propane lines in a part time cruiser seems like too much effort. For us, cruising 5 or 6 weeks full time, the ease and safety of the Origo is a good choice.
I definitely think that the Origo products are over priced. Because they are made of stainless steel for the most part they last very well.
But the design and engineering is less than great; I have had to make modifications to my unit to make it more functional.
My suggestion to the OP would be to look for a used unit that is in good condition at a decent price. I have seen them advertised both by individuals and in second hand stores.
If one is living aboard and cooking a lot then I would agree that a properly installed propane system would be a good choice.

#25 ·
Minnesail
The first problem is a bit unique I think. Ours is an alcohol/electric combination; I would not have spent the extra money for the electric but I actually inherited the stove almost free. Anyway, the electric heating elements are flat spirals that are supported by 1 inch square tabs that are spot welded in a vertical format. The coils were very uneven and so a pot would sit very crooked. Also, 2 of the 6 supports broke off. I installed stainless bolts which hold things even and will last forever. The other issue is the springs which hold the fuel cannisters. After a few years they lost their ability to hold the cannisters up against the underside mechanism. This led to some evaporating fuel and also what led to the discovery was that a burner would reignite on it's own because the slide gate had not fully extinguished the flame. It's a bit hard to explain but basically I installed wedges under the supports that hold them up more firmly. I admit that these are not huge issues but they were both easily preventable through a little more attention to detail in the design and manufacture. There was also some issues with the electric controls which I was able to resolve. Nothing too big I suppose but this unit was selling in Canada for about 700 dollars at the time I inherited it...20 years ago.

#28 ·
The first problem is a bit unique I think. Ours is an alcohol/electric combination;
Oh, wild.

Mine has taken a bit of damage because a few times I left it unsecured on a counter and it flew across the cabin during a tack. A couple welds broke, but I drilled them out and put in a small nut and bolt and now it's good as new. I wouldn't have wanted to be down there and get smacked by the sharp edged thing though...

#31 ·
Hi,
I have an Origo non-pressurized stove/oven combo and love it. My only unresolved issue is that recently I have stopped using it due to tremendous amount of black spot depositing on burnets, pans and rising from the flame. I have tried every brand of denatured alcohol and always the same problem.

My conclusion is the problem COULD be the age/ condition of the canister rather than the fuel itself. I believe the opening mesh area includes some type of absorbent material that allows the alcohol vapor to ignite, so possibly the canister should be replaced. Any thoughts on solution to the spot problem? I use it every day (or at least I used to before the spot problem,) Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Jude

#33 ·
We get zero soot on ours. I'd assume either impurities in your fuel, which you said you've tried many of, or maybe as you say the canisters need to be replaced. odd that all 3 of your canisters would exhibit the issue? Did you run them out of fuel repeatedly so that they are all chared and black?

FWIW, I usually get the denatured alcohol from lowes in the blue can. It mentions stove fuel in small print as well.

#37 ·
My reasons for choosing the Origo in the first place:
* This boat never had a propane system, so installing a propane stove would be a big job to build the lockers and everything.
* I like the fact that the Origo can run off multiple fuels and doesn't require pressurized fuel.

I'm glad you posted this because I didn't know Origo had stopped making stoves.

My (new to me) 28"Kells came with a Kenyon pressurized alcohol stove that hadn't been used in decades. Former owner went with a propane camp stove. I've had several of the little camping bottles leak over the years, so that was out. I took the Kenyon home and got it running, (sort of) but it didn't inspire confidence.

I looked for other alternatives to propane, but there really aren't any unless money is no object. I grabbed a nice used one on Ebay for 200 at the door. I did find a Canadian outfit that had a couple new ones left in stock for a bit under 500 US delivered.

#38 ·
I have the single burner Origo. Always reliable and brings 2 quarts of water to boil in about 10 mins.
When traveling (not this year), in the morning I make one quart flask of tea and one wide mouth flask of rice, quinoa or farro and vegetable bullion with boiling water. This with a few granola bars will last until mid afternoon. The best thermos meal I made was with quinoa, fish bullion and a can of tuna.

I try not to use it in the cabin as my sailing is usually only in the summer when any excess heat is unbearable, so mostly used in the cockpit.

I also have a Coleman oven to use on top of the Origo, but have only used it twice in 5 years. It works as advertised but I will only use it in the cockpit in light wind and almost glass still water. The oven sitting on top of the Origo is not stable with even the smallest powerboat wake, and the exterior is to hot to touch.

I use denatured alcohol from Lowes, Home Depot or a paint store. A quart will last about a week once in the morning and once in the evening.

I have never had a soot problem but it just may be that I rarely use the Origo in the cabin to notice it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.