Stainless corrosion and maintenance - SailNet Community
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 Old 10-31-2019 Thread Starter

Stainless corrosion and maintenance

Coming from the great lakes, I'm appalled at how fast the salt environment is attacking and corroding the stainless on my boat. I knew this would be a problem, but I'm shocked at how QUICKLY it's happening.

My question is a general request for advice on how to minimize and control the problem. I'm sure this has been discussed many times before but google is worthless because all it wants to do is recommend products to me.

I've already tried T9, but the stuff I've treated with T9 seems to be corroding just as fast as the untreated stuff. I have trouble believing that any competing product is going to be significantly better ... but if that's wrong, I'd love to hear about it.

Is it just a matter of monthly polishing to get rid of the corrosion? Of course, I can't polish the cables on my standing rigging, so is there anything I can do to slow the corrosion there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 10-31-2019

Re: Stainless corrosion and maintenance

Spotless stainless Spotless Stainless Home leave it on for 30 min and rinse if it dries to fast paint it on and cover with saran wrap so it stays wet
bigdogandy likes this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #3 of 71 Old 10-31-2019

I stopped letting it bother me

post #4 of 71 Old 10-31-2019

You'll learn to ignore most of it. With few exceptions, ironically in places you can't see anyway, it cosmetic. The best you can do is polish the areas where it appears (not protectant--compound until there is no imperfection). Polished surfaces are generally safe. Hosing off with freshwater helps, and minimize things like tape that trap moisture.

Welcome to saltwater!

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #5 of 71 Old 10-31-2019

Use any product you think is easiest to get rust off. Big deal is to follow it up with some sort of wax made specifically to protect metal. Currently using the 3M series of products but like collinite as well.
It’s a never ending chore. We start in the cockpit and move forward. Use a piece of electrical tape on the toerail to mark how far we’ve gone. Any time there’s nothing going on do a section. A cold drink and music helps.
Find there’s variance in how much and how fast things corrode. Particularly with fasteners. If possible once a fastener is noted to be a fast corroder replace it. If it continues look at your bonding and for stray current.
Stainless is really stainless for a very short distance into it. If you have scratches they will corrode faster. If aggressively polished back to the original mirror finish that will help big time.
Stay away from Chinese stainless. Know your sourcing. Like 318 but 316 can be okay. Get my fasteners from fastanall but still ask to see source. Used to get stuff from a medical supply house. Miss it as can’t do that any longer.
Anytime you can give the boat a fresh water bath with a hose do it. When it rains we take a soft rag and find a little rub helps. Haven’t used current products to spray on then hose off to eliminate salt as not commonly in marinas but people seem to like them.
Remember steel rusts but the oxides on aluminum are protective. Still aluminum corrodes must faster than steel. So watch any aluminum carefully. Jump on any corrosion.
Likely what you’re seeing is rust. Hopefully not corrosion. If truly corrosion look at your zincs, are things tuff gelled and electrical system.
bigdogandy and BillMoran like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 10-31-2019 at 11:05 AM.
post #6 of 71 Old 10-31-2019

Bar Keeper's Friend puts the shine back in quickly, though I don't think it does anything to protect.
scubadoo likes this.
post #7 of 71 Old 10-31-2019

What exactly is corroding?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 71 Old 10-31-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by svselkie02 View Post
Bar Keeper's Friend puts the shine back in quickly, though I don't think it does anything to protect.
Yep, the oxalic acid in it.
Can mix your own cheaply if so inclined
svselkie02 likes this.
post #9 of 71 Old 10-31-2019

At ends of swged fittings, blush on 316 like scattered mold, 304 stands out big
post #10 of 71 Old 10-31-2019

Metal polish to get off the corrosion then a good wax. Just did a bunch the last couple days.
Seems to last about 6 months or a little more....
Barkeeper's Friend is wonderful for rust. I use the softscrub version all the time. It is oxalic acid, no mixing necessary.
The Following User Says Thank You to flyingriki For This Useful Post:
Sailstrong (1 Week Ago)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in