Barnacles on the prop and shaft - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: Barnacles on the prop and shaft

When our boat is hauled there is usually at least some barnacles on the propeller. The power wash used up close takes most of it off, and wet sanding eliminates the bits that are left.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
This is the stuff you want. Take a putty knife to the big stuff. Personally, I don’t mind letting them die first. Fresh live barnacles spatter everywhere, when you scrape them off. Use a course scotchbrite, after spraying on the dissolver. Rubber gloves are a good idea.

Osborne's Barnacle Dissolver 16oz Spray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0169AL3D2..._INGWDbJF5G7VN
we use clinging toilet bowl cleaner which is the same stuff at half the price. urea monohydrochloride

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #13 of 30 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefMagnet View Post
.....coat with a poultice of flour and vinegar and cover with a plastic bag ....
Vinegar will eat away at the metal. I specifically use it to clean corrosion off metal. That would worry me, especially if on a folding or feathering prop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #14 of 30 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Hmm, the (3) reviews are not exactly gushing about the product
No accounting for Amazon reviews anymore. Vendors fluff their own stuff, competitors bash. Itís a polluted system, lots of documentaries on it. Not to mention the skill set of some users.

This is the product recommended and sold by PYI for the Max Prop. Iíve used it will great results.

I have no idea whatís in it, but I know there are acids that will quickly eat calcium before getting at any metal. I assume PYI would know the difference, but it is just an assumption. YMMV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #15 of 30 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
we use clinging toilet bowl cleaner which is the same stuff at half the price. urea monohydrochloride
Good tip. I looked up the MSDS and see it has a few amines as well. No idea what they do.

I wonder, compared to vinegar, does it react more slowly with metal, or does it work so fast on the calcium you donít need to leave it on long enough to worry about the metal.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #16 of 30 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
Lets see, CH4N2O + HCL, can definitely see why it would work HCl is good at dissolving stuff.

Use your head for something other than a hat rest.
post #17 of 30 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVAT View Post
Lets see, CH4N2O + HCL, can definitely see why it would work HCl is good at dissolving stuff.
The things I learn on Sailnet.....

I'm putting rubber gloves on my spring commissioning list.
bigdogandy likes this.
post #18 of 30 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Location: Splitting time between Merritt Island, Fl and Asheville, NC for a bit

Dock

There is no absolute need for harsh chemicals to remove barnies....this is what my prop looked like after letting it dry for a few days, scraping it with a painterís 5 in 1, then hitting it with a wire brush in my drill and then an 80 grit flapper wheel. The epoxy barrier cost adheres very well to this surface.....
Attached Thumbnails
C5CF5CAB-6C36-42E0-B0A9-23CA8781566B.jpeg  

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #19 of 30 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogandy View Post
There is no absolute need for harsh chemicals to remove barnies....this is what my prop looked like after letting it dry for a few days, scraping it with a painterís 5 in 1, then hitting it with a wire brush in my drill and then an 80 grit flapper wheel. The epoxy barrier cost adheres very well to this surface.....
I get good results with an electric sander and never needed nor used a chemical. I usually only have a few of those critters when it's hauled out after a year
Attached Thumbnails
P1010624 (760 x 1014).jpg  
bigdogandy likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #20 of 30 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Antifouling paint, even the expensive stuff designed for props, doesn't seem to adhere well to props. Using an epoxy primer or barrier coat first seems to help the paint adhere better. I prefer Sea Hawk's Tuff Stuff; it sticks to anything. Just don't put any paint or barrier coat under your zincs.
bigdogandy likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in