Current cost of teak deck and core repair - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Current cost of teak deck and core repair

After 30 years of tight/waterproof service, a large portion of my teak deck (Tayana) has begun to seriously leak.

Due to serious health issues I am unable to do the work myself at the present time. I need to contract out for the remedy.

If anyone has recent domestic/USA (East Coast) costs for repair for cutting out the old core, cleaning the void, replacing the core, resealing and then LAMINATING the old teak strakes back down (NO screws) I'd appreciate it. This would be for cost comparisons vs. doing it myself (a perfection job; but at a later time).

Your info appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Re: Current cost of teak deck and core repair

It may be a wild shot in the dark, but there are some very excellent yacht quality craftsmen in Trinidad and perhaps the delivery cost would still be cheaper than having the work done States side.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Also good, inexpensive craftsmen in Rio Dulce, Guatemala which may be nearer to you than Trinidad, if you "do" Facebook try one of the Rio Dulce pages and ask there

post #4 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks guys; but, Im looking only for domestic (east coast) costs of repair.

Yeah, $90-130/ hour for 'workmanship' that I would probably have to 're-do''.
This is all Due to a sudden severe illness; and, I have NO choice, as if I dont soon remedy I will ultimately have worse and more costly damage.
post #5 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
I have NO choice, as if I dont soon remedy I will ultimately have worse and more costly damage.

If you need the core replaced what will be "worse and more costly damage"?

What sort of Tayana? It could easily cost the value of the boat if there is much deck space.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #6 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Rich, Where's the boat located now? You are correct, of course, that the cost is mostly in expensive labor.
post #7 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Maybe from/at a rockler store...
Retired carpenters/wood workers that would be interested in a fun project.
Many of them take their 'hobby' to levels of perfection.
They are settled and mostly sane...
Maybe explore this avenue...
post #8 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Personally, I think the only way to go is Teak Deck Systems, unless you have a quality local craftsman. There are a few very distinct costs.

1. Removing deck hardware and current teak decking. This is unskilled labor, but very time consuming.
2. Repairing any delaminated core and prepping the sub-deck. This is skilled labor.
3. Creating the template for the new deck. There is a kit and simple process. This is unskilled, but needs to be done carefully.
4. Buying the new deck, which will be available in various thicknesses and shipped to you, or your yard, in sections.
5. Installing the new deck and replacing hardware. This is skilled.

This is in my future and I’ve priced it out. Each have different labor and per square foot costs. I’ll have to dig it up. I’d suggest giving them a call, they’re very helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Just for grins if you wanted to check out the faux teak alternatives you could talk to a few of the Flexi-Teak dealers. The website shows several dealers in New England as well as on the Chessie. Depending on what part of PA you're in the one in Essex Maryland may not be that far.
On the teak route... I have a wood butcher friend who is working at a yard for $35.00 per hour cash but the yard is probably charging the customer 3 times that amount. He's a retired cabinet maker and mainly just likes messing around with boats. He does some work on the side for other people as well. The yard owner turns him on to the other jobs that help out the yard owners buddies. It's a good ole boy network. Not sure if they have those in your neck of the woods but If they do, seems like that would be your best bet.
post #10 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Boat's on the Northern Chesapeake where marine services labor are typicalyl $100-130/hour for $20/hour value work performed.
15 years ago I did the opposite side of the boat (20-24 linear ft.) in 3-1/2+ days.
The quote estimates Im now getting are for nearly double the time needed and at grossly over-inflated prices.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in