Bulkhead diesel heater - Questions! - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By chowdan

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Bulkhead diesel heater - Questions!

Hi all,

I recently picked up a bulkhead diesel heater(Fab-all Sigmar) and just got it fully installed last night. As I was trying to figure it out, I decided to go to bed.

I've torn the carb apart, cleaned it, blew it all out and made sure no particles are blocking. Everything flows well, fuel gets into the pot just fine.

The problem I'm having is that after it gets warm from a small piece of paper(1 square of TP), the flame generally goes out. I can get my butane torch in there and get it going again, but by the time i close the door it's out again.

I've tried running with the fan on, with it on low, high, medium, damper open, damper closed, all sort of variants but nothing gets it going. I know the fuel is vaporizing as if it sits for a few seconds after it goes out, it tends to "explode" in the pot if i re-light it. Probably not smartest idea.

One thing I believe is happening - there is a lack of oxygen in the pot as a normal lighter has trouble igniting down below the burner ring.

Anyone have ideas/tips for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Bulkhead diesel heater - Questions!

How is it vented?

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #3 of 10 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
How is it vented?

3inch pipe through deck with 36 inches inside and ~16 inches on the exterior side to get us to the 4ft mark.

My first thought was lack of length of chimney, but running with the fan on the intake should solve that.

When I get home tonight I'm going to pull the burner and check to make sure the vent holes in the sides are free and clear of debris

Last edited by chowdan; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:15 PM.

post #4 of 10 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Some have a little tripod or springy thing in the pot to help vaporization Missing? Maybe running stove oil in it ? Float level adjustment can be sensitive as diesel and stove / kerosene are different sg
post #5 of 10 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Some have a little tripod or springy thing in the pot to help vaporization Missing? Maybe running stove oil in it ? Float level adjustment can be sensitive as diesel and stove / kerosene are different sg
I'll have to pull the needle tonight when I get home, but from what I recall, it was a diesel needle. Maybe I didn't get the float adjustment right. Will have to play with that tonight as well.

I'll have to post a photo of how our ring is. It's definitely a bit different than the Newport design. Basically a rod with 4 legs coming out one end and then a finned device that the rod slides in.
post #6 of 10 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I was presume you can see diesel flooding in? Donít put in TP right away, you should see the diesel coming in.

I had an opposite problem with a lot burner in a cabin, got too hot, could not turn it down enough. I readjusted the adjustment as low as it would go and now seems OK.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #7 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I was presume you can see diesel flooding in? Donít put in TP right away, you should see the diesel coming in.

I had an opposite problem with a lot burner in a cabin, got too hot, could not turn it down enough. I readjusted the adjustment as low as it would go and now seems OK.
I was seeing diesel coming in, but even on highest setting it took quite a bit of time to even pool up. Seems like when it was turned to max, it would run relatively okay but wasn't ever pumping out heat even after turning the set screw all the way in.

I pulled the screw from the knob and found that the screw has an internal screw thats adjustable. Turns out I needed to adjust this screw to get the proper flow rate - which sigmar indicates at 1 teaspoon per 50 seconds(max setting i'm getting about 1 teaspoon at 60-70 seconds).

Today I worked from home and have had the heater running at 5 for the last hour, the boat is getting nice and warm and will likely turn it down to around 3 to see how it runs.

Next task is to properly route the copper tubing, securing the tank and finish trimming out the headliner to make it pretty.
bristol299bob likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago

I wonder if you need a bigger piece of tissue or a paper towel or something. Could be that the single square of saturated paper burns up before getting the pot hot enough for the diesel to burn on its own.
I just installed one and find the fuel flow is quite slow. I suspect a partial air lock in the hose from the main tank.
JV
post #9 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Pulsepump or gravity?? These critters usually work best with a pulse pump.working against needle. or several ft of head min. Set and run too low and a big cleanup ,,soot on deck is nasty. My best event was a complete plug up, ..(big Dickinson galley stove) Vacuumed it out sucking a glowing remnant, which burned a hole in the bag which emptied into the galley. Too bad it was before you tube.... Great learning experience
post #10 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
I was seeing diesel coming in, but even on highest setting it took quite a bit of time to even pool up. Seems like when it was turned to max, it would run relatively okay but wasn't ever pumping out heat even after turning the set screw all the way in.

I pulled the screw from the knob and found that the screw has an internal screw thats adjustable. Turns out I needed to adjust this screw to get the proper flow rate - which sigmar indicates at 1 teaspoon per 50 seconds(max setting i'm getting about 1 teaspoon at 60-70 seconds).

Today I worked from home and have had the heater running at 5 for the last hour, the boat is getting nice and warm and will likely turn it down to around 3 to see how it runs.

Next task is to properly route the copper tubing, securing the tank and finish trimming out the headliner to make it pretty.
Good for you. It seems these things take a bit of fidgeting to get working right but then are very reliable. However I just can’t see running one while underway in a sailboat. Personally I want heat while watch standing.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in