Compac 16' Keel advice needed - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Compac 16' Keel advice needed

Hello,
I recently purchased a 1976 compac 16' and would like to know what the material is used for keel ballast. I drilled a couple of 1/4" holes in the bottom of the keel and water came out ao I am assuming that the keel material will have to be removed and replaced with.... what? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: Compac 16' Keel advice needed

Compac themselves are still around and I expect would be willing to help. I thought they were concrete ballast.

How do you expect the water got inside? Obviously, something got you to drill the holes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 20 Old 3 Weeks Ago

I beleive they have encapsulated concrete ballast. But, emailing the manufacturer is a good idea.

post #4 of 20 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

When I got the boat there was standing water on top of the keel with numerous cracks in the stuff ( FG?) covering the ballast so basically it had to leak... I drilled a couple of inspection holes and water weeped out.
post #5 of 20 Old 3 Weeks Ago
deisher6

Hey Chuck1947b:
There is a wealth of information available on the CPYOA Blog, including several complete rebuilds of C-16's from the keel up. Com-Pac Yacht Owners Association - Index

C-16's are great and great looking daysailers. They are not manufactured any more but Hutchins is still in business.
https://www.com-pacyachts.com

Best of luck.

regards charlie
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
Chuck1947b (3 Weeks Ago)
post #6 of 20 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Barquito

If it was mine, I would just drill a few more holes, let it dry for a couple of months, and seal it up. Maybe see if you could get epoxy to flow through from the top. Then plug the holes on the bottom, and fill the void with epoxy. Again, this is just me. There is probably a better way to do this.

Valiant 32
post #7 of 20 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck1947b View Post
When I got the boat there was standing water on top of the keel with numerous cracks in the stuff ( FG?) covering the ballast so basically it had to leak... I drilled a couple of inspection holes and water weeped out.
Sounds like some fairly serious structural issues (cracks through the glass). Be sure you know the right thing to do to remain safe. It stands to reason that the ballast has delaminated from its encapsulation. It doesn't sound like a band aid job to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 20 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Sounds like some fairly serious structural issues (cracks through the glass). Be sure you know the right thing to do to remain safe. It stands to reason that the ballast has delaminated from its encapsulation. It doesn't sound like a band aid job to me.
Thanks man. I've done a fair amount of fiberglass work on older boats but nothing like this. I don't intend for it to be easy. I'm going to remove the concrete ballast with a chip hammer. Check the encapsulation, possibly recoat, relaminate the keel cavity. Then, I just ordered 300lbs of lead ingots off of ebay so I'm going all in. I've read great reviews/advice on using lead as compared to other materials such as concrete. There's some great total Compac restorations on youtube.
post #9 of 20 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Interesting job. Are you going to remove the bilge to access the ballast or go through the encapsulation from the outside. The bilge would leave an intact encapsulation to refill, but then you need to structurally replace the bilge. The encapsulation probably needs to be reinforced, but more curious is how you insure a good bond to the encapsulation, when you refill.

The lead will change the weight of the ballast, but I doubt that will make sailing her all that different. If significant, it may alter her waterline though. Is your plan to imbed the ingot into an epoxy slurry of some kind? Insuring this slurry bonds to the existing glass?

Jeanneau 54DS

post #10 of 20 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Cool idea with the lead. It should sit lower in the keel and make the boat stiffer. It will be less dense so you will have some void space to fill. You might want to consider the weight of the filler too. Those compac 16s are already pretty heavy boats, so I wouldn't want to over do it.
Minnewaska likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in