SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sunbrella + Awlgrip color match

4K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  fallard 
#1 ·
Anyone have a good idea of which Sunbrella color matches Awlgrip flag blue best?

I figured Navy or Captain Navy, but they both look really dark, and totally indistinguishable, on the web. I don't have access to fabric samples in person.
Going to re-do the canvas on my boat (everything is long-ago-faded red...yechh) and currently ordering a genoa w/ Sunbrella cover, and I'd like to match the fresh flag blue trim and boot stripes on my topsides.

#2 ·
Consider getting fabric samples from one of the online suppliers or local fabric shop to compare to the paint. also the fabric will vary in weight depending the color you pick some of the colors may be to light and not make a long lasting cover. navy blue and black are both heavy fabric and make good covers. also the tweeds are heavy fabric

#4 ·
Matching colors of different materials... paint and cloth is always going to be iffy. You might try to find a contrasting color as Dave suggests. Dark fades over time and it's more obvious as well. I've tried to match the "navy blues" and have had limited success. But I have boot stripes etc. not an entire hull. Whatever you do you should have actual fabric samples to use for the decision.

#6 ·
I believe that the Captain Blue is closer to Flag Blue but since it is only the boot strip and trim that you're matching the darker standard Navy Blue might be a better overall look for a longer period of time. The Captain Navy starts out brighter but over time will lose that luster. Sorta like the way that I have lost my luster over time. I just don't have that factory freshness anymore!

#7 · (Edited)
Yes, as astute readers noticed, the boat is not flag blue, just the boot & gunwhale, and soon, name & port. The topsides are an off-white, just-barely-beige-y gelcoat, and decks are white-white, so adding a 4th color is not desirable. Stackpack is white-white, so I'm hoping to balance all that white mix with a dodger, fender covers, genny cover, and small stuff that match the boot & gunwhale.
I'll try to get swatches from a local canvas shop. Leaning toward standard Navy in light of contrarian's insight. A P.O. used "jockey red" new in 2009-ish that has faded massively and unevenly. I expect any color will fade, but I don't recall ever seeing old navy canvas looking too bad.

I mean, how can anyone distinguish some of these blues based on a 1"x1" sample? And who knew there was a "travel lift blue"!?
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/awlg...awlgrip-awlcraft-2000-and-awlcraft-se--373540

flag=majestic=dark=timeless green=teal=carinthia as far as I can tell.

#8 ·
A P.O. used "jockey red" new in 2009-ish that has faded massively and unevenly. I expect any color will fade, but I don't recall ever seeing old navy canvas looking too bad.
Huh. I use Sunbrella Jockey Red on my boat.

I made a jib bag in 2014 and a stack pack in 2016, and I had a bimini and cover made in 2017.

The 2014 jib bag is out in the sun for five months every year. The 2017 bimini is almost never in the sun because it's covered when not in use. The colors are almost a perfect match. I'm very impressed.

Admittedly the canvas you're talking about is five years older. And I'm talking 5 months a year of Minnesota sun, maybe your canvas is getting 12 months a year of Florida sun.

#12 ·
FYI:
My boat has a blue boot top and toast sunbrella canvas. The dodger and Bimini are one year old and the sail cover is 23 years old (washed and re-waterproofed last year). The hull is off white and the nonskid is a barely beige.

When we bought the boat it had spent 5-6 years in the Florida sun. The white sunbrella was toast (pun intended) and had to be replaced before we started our 1700 mile delivery trip to Mystic. The local canvas guy mentioned that white was not a good color from a longevity point-of-view and Pacific Blue was one of the best to combat UV degradation. Toast was sort of middle of the road in that regard, but we like it and went with it.

Attachments

#13 ·
M-m-mm. That looks great. I do love the toast color, so classic, especially on a boat with dark topsides. It's also great in that, unlike I've heard about dark colors in a dodger or bimini, it won't turn the cockpit into an oven in hot weather. I would go with toast or linen on my boat, but the Niagara 35 has such chubby topsides that I want a little more contrast. And since I'm doing my own canvas (except genoa cover), a darker color will better hide the sins of this amateur.

#14 ·
My wife has done all our car as with a Sailrite machine we purchased over 18 years ago. The main thing is to get good thread...V92 preferably, use a #18 needLe

We use Strata glass with great 10 year results . Strong YYK zippers with pulls help.

Sailrite has some awesome videos if you are a beginner or experienced,.

Good luck

Reactions: bajaking
#17 ·
We use Strata glass with great 10 year results . Strong YYK zippers with pulls help.
I was debating Strata vs ordinary 40 gauge vinyl, but now leaning toward trying Strata. I did a Sailrite dodger kit > 10 years ago (back when the skin + stainless frame were one package at <$700!), and while I was pretty proud of how the canvas turned out, the thin gauge vinyl windows gave it a flimsy finish. When I see a dodger that I'm impressed with it's usually because the windows look almost like real glass. I assume that's Strataglass.

#16 ·
Just something to think about, not selling it to you. White Stamoid is durable, extremely light weight, won't shrink, won't fade, won't heat the cockpit and would match your decks permanently. Not sure it's the look you want, so I take no offense if it sounds bad to you.

If you end up going this route, be sure the canvas shop is familiar with using it. They can't use the same large needle they use for Sunbrella, or rain will leak through the stitching.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.