Sorting tools - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Sorting tools

Tools, screws, bolts and other miscellaneous items accumulate on the boat as I bring a tool or some other item to the boat for absolutely needed reasons, then they just sit in a locker never to be used again. So this haulout lockers are emptied and only what I really need goes back. Lets see how that works out!!

So now my truck box is full. I will clean out the truck box using the same criteria.

Then my shed will be be full. So what happens to the shed when I apply the same
criteria.

I have a solution, give it all to my son-in-law, it will be his and my daughters problem.

1970 Havsfidra 20 by Fisksatra
On the Delaware River at Fox Grove Marina Essington PA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: Sorting tools

Yeah
Empty..make new plan, ditch, keep..reorganize
Feels good
mbianka likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Keep the crystal ball, useful for predicting what will break on your next cruise.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a bit of a weight nut. I go through bins every year. But I would add considering what you have used and needed in the past.
elliowb likes this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

Last edited by pdqaltair; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:23 PM.

post #4 of 16 Old 2 Weeks Ago

If you have access to tools and so forth... no need to keep them aboard. Of course a repair may come up and needs immediate attention... so you need a basic range of tools and bits to keep aboard. I too have accumulated way too much "stuff" and have a hard to finding it as it's spread through the boat and bits are saved for... this might come in handy some time.... yea right.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #5 of 16 Old 2 Weeks Ago

The problem with boat tools (not talking about screwdrivers and such) is that many are very specific, only needed once or twice, yet they are the only tool that will work, and usually can't be obtained in many places or from other boaters.

For example, we carry a wheel puller. I've used it once. It saved our bacon in a place/time where there was no other option - not even the gear puller we also carry that I've only used a couple of times.

We just moved to a different boat, and did so by putting all of the previous boat personal stuff in a storage locker, and then transferring it onto the new boat in small segments so we could curate. We did get rid of a lot of stuff we determined was not needed, or was redundant, but we still have that wheel puller...

Mark
SanderO and bigdogandy like this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #6 of 16 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I have 4 soft leatherette expandable briefcases...one electrical, one plumbing, one canvas and sail repair, and one for fasteners.

Each year during the season I take one home and tackle it.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #7 of 16 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

We have a lot of rarely used tools that we can't get or are just too expensive to rent in the islands. For instance, when I needed a Porta-Power it cost me us$300.00 to rent one in Grenada for a weekend. For a us$125.00 tool! So I bought one and it will be absolutely indispensable when we need it, but until then it takes up space and is very heavy. Same with the 1" socket set, 6" grinder, manual battery cable crimper, type one life jackets for day sails, and laser sight jig saw set, etc. But all the nuts, bolts, washers, screws, etc. will always stay aboard and easily accessed because they can make the difference between completing a sail/charter or not.
We would really like to find a storage locker for a lot of this stuff, but haven't been very successful so far.
SanderO likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #8 of 16 Old 2 Weeks Ago

The seat under our nav station is our primary tool locker at approx 12 sqft. It's full to the top. The better part of a small locker, under a salon seat has some spare parts, which should be relocated to a less convenient place, given the rarity that we need them. An entire locker in the cockpit has seperate tubs with screws, anodes, painting/sanding, lines/ties/tapes, electrical fitings, plumbing fittings.

I tried to eliminate some of the tools, but most were deemed necessary to have aboard. I removed the battery cable crimpers, but not much more. Home is too far away to run back for a tool. Actually, I do very little work at home anymore, it's mostly on the boat.

Instead, I got much better at organizing the tools. The smartest thing I did was to buy different color, zipped canvas bags to separate like tools. One for screw drivers, nut drivers, alan wrenches, socket wrench extensions or adapters, SAE wrenches, Metric wrenches, then a small gym bag with all the other random hand tools.

It's the cockpit tubs of parts and pieces that needs serious cleaning out, not the tools. Stainless screws, nuts, etc, eventually come in handy. I'm looking for something constantly. The tubs, however, are overfilled with spare parts, adapters, wires and all sorts of junk. Some of it is spares to devices that have been replaced and the spare no longer fits.

I'd need a long weekend to tackle this and never have one.
SanderO and mbianka like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 16 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I have 4 soft leatherette expandable briefcases...one electrical, one plumbing, one canvas and sail repair, and one for fasteners.

Each year during the season I take one home and tackle it.
This is our approach as well; cloth tool bags organized by theme. I have:

• General tools (screw drivers, wrenches, etc. plus smaller fasteners)
  • Electrical
  • Plumbing
  • Engine
  • Wood working (b/c we have a lot of wood)
  • Mechanical (mostly various shackle collection)

I store lesser-used larger fasteners and larger tools (hammers, saw, pry bar, grinder, sander, oscillating multi-tool, drill, dremel, etc.) under my quarter berth.

It all takes up a fair bit of space on our boat, but it's our only home. Luckily we have a lot of storage space.
bigdogandy and elliowb like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #10 of 16 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Organization and stowing spares is a never ending problem with no solution. Fixed today... needs to be fixed tomorrow!

I have attempted... am attempting to get a handle on this and began by making a stow plan at home in the winter. It's not precise as the drawing is done from memory and a few dimensions I know to be reliable. Precision is not important.

I thought plastic bins with secure lids would work best. But they have their limitations too and can leave unused volumes. I still find myself looking for things I know I have on board but had decided to more them to a better place. (hahahaha).

I have too many hand held power tools (multiple drills for example, multiple sanders and way too many hand tools. My basic tools are in a square canvas bag with a handle I can haul to where I am working. It's way too heavy for that (hahahaha).

Many of my tools are a legacy from my old now shut down wood shop... both a blessing and a curse I suppose... and the meme that there is the right tool for each job!

We are not out voyaging and essentially weekend cruisers with some longer trips thrown in. Boat is close enough for me to go mid week and tackle any project.

I do think one should PLAN the project... assemble all the fasteners, and special hardware and bring them to the boat along with special tools in a "project box". So if replacing a pump is a project.... get the pump, wire, the crimp on connectors, hose connectors, some hose, shrink wrap tubes, mounting screws etc. I have several of these boxes and I haven't tackled those projects.

I have transitioned (way way too slowly) from a live aboard cruiser to a week end cruiser and haven't made many of the changes I should. I still think of the boat as "self sufficient" and care 10# or more of screws, bolts, nuts, washers etc... all of which I store at home and bring what I need as needed. I have many engine spares... which can be obtained in a few days from a supplier... not from a hardware store. It's comforting to have everything you think you need on board... but practically for OUR situation... and most weekend users... it makes no sense. Time to down size and clean out. Of course I don't want to haul tools and parts to the boat.... more things to forget... and can be heavy too.

The solution will be always found in a correct statement of the problem. But a sailboat is not like the space station.... stuff is never that inaccessible from dirt. For boats like Capta's a different calculus is required.
Attached Thumbnails
STOW PLAN 4.29.19_page1.jpg  

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:17 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in