Inscribing Hull ID - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Inscribing Hull ID

Our Hull ID appears on a couple of permanent plaques aboard, one in a cockpit locker and another in the engine room. However, it appears the inscribed ID that is supposed to be on the starboard transom was likely faired over, when the hull was painted.

Any good ideas to professionally re-inscribe? Hand drawn with a Dremel isnít my style. Would like something neat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: Inscribing Hull ID

I have seen low-production number boats with tidy embossed metal plaques that were attached by rivets and/or glue to the transom. If you use a SS plaque material it should last just fine.
FWIW, friend of mine paints (and restores) boats and he has a "Dymo" reverse -print labeler for restoring the original look to a refinished stern before shooting the top coats.

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon
post #3 of 7 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Stupid question, but are you sure the number in your engine room is your hull ID and not your documentation number? Many boats do not have a hull ID inscribed on the stern. If the boat is federally documented, the documentation number is required to be carved in or permanently affixed to a structural part of the vessel, which is often in the engine room or a locker. You can tell whether the number is your HIN or documention number from its format. The following link shows the HIN format (which has changed over time) and provides a guide to interpreting your HIN: https://www.hinsearchplus.com/hs_userguide.aspx. Of course, if it is a documentation number, it should match the one on your documentation certificate.

post #4 of 7 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Gannon View Post
Stupid question, but are you sure the number in your engine room is your hull ID and not your documentation number?.....
Not stupid at all. One may actually be the doc number. I don't see them all that often, so I was going from memory. I know the doc number is also at the nav station, but may be one of the other two.

I'm sure at least one is the Hull ID, as I had an insurance survey done that pointed out the missing inscribed one on the transom and also assumed it was faired over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 7 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Sounds like youre running low on things to worry about...
post #6 of 7 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Sounds like youre running low on things to worry about...
If only.......

Jeanneau 54DS

post #7 of 7 Old 2 Weeks Ago

If it was built by Jeanneau US, the HIN will start with "IRI", which no documentation number would.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in