PSA - Check your rigging periodically! - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-10-2019 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

PSA - Check your rigging periodically!

Because I have already paid to drop my mast (see https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-...pped-mast.html), I have been trying to get the most bang for the 1.5 boat bucks that the marina has charged me. I have therefore run new wiring in the mast and replaced the anchor light (the last incandescent bulb on the boat) with an LED. I have also pulled and polished the rigging associated with the shrouds (I'll get to the stays soon). For polishing I used a Scotch-Brite pad and followed up with a Magic Eraser.

I am glad that I did this because two of the toggles in my rigging are showing early signs of failure. You can see the hairline cracks raditing outward from the clevis pin on the toggle in the picture below.

According to multiple rigging websites, standing rigging has an anticipated lifespan of 10 to 12 years for wire rigging, and 15 to 20 years for rod. The wire and all of the swages look fine. There are no meathooks, cracks or corrosion, and the turnbuckles still have a lot of room for tightening. I believe that I can get another 5 to 10 years from it. However the toggles will need to be replaced.

Because inquiring minds will want to know; this is a 33-year old 50-foot Isomat NG-51 mast on an O'day 35. This boat has one cap shroud, one set of spreaders, and two lower (fore and aft) shrouds on both port and starboard. Much of the standing rigging on this vessel was replaced in 2003, and the forestay was replaced in 2008. I replaced the turnbuckles in 2010.

This is a friendly reminder to occasionally check your rigging!

Attached Thumbnails
20191210_131400.jpg   20191210_134033.jpg   20191210_134116.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-10-2019

Re: PSA - Check your rigging periodically!

This is a good PSA. I have some questions though.

Is this better done by a professional rigger?

Can you actually see all the surfaces which might show something of concern?

How do rigging failures actually/typically play out?

I did find a broken strand of two on one lower shroud after a tough 700 mile sail. I replaced the wire using a staloc. I did check it underway... it was the lee shroud and added a halyard as a sort of back up until I could effect the repair. Wire seems to break from movement (loose lee shroud). The shroud taking the load was fine!

My rigging seems way oversized (guess)... it's 10mm wire. the forestay is 8mm. The LOA is 36'.

Now I am all freaked out that the stick will collapse (it's deck stepped)!

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 12-10-2019 at 07:51 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-10-2019

If i planned just usa sailing, i wouldve gone with rod rigging.

Good post

post #4 of 12 Old 12-10-2019
Freedom isn't free

Dock

I have rod rigging and have been told the rigging is about 12 years old. I figure rigging age (without proof of purchase) is about like that of trusting the sale of a horse to be the age they say (we bought a horse from someone who had papers, the owner told us the horse was 8yo, apparently they dont' age when you buy them, the paperwork showed it as 12).

Anyway, I am pretty familiar with aging of wire rigging (roughly every 10 years), but what is the life expectancy of rod rigging? I've been looking over the turnbuckles, and they have some miles on them but they look OK (for now), but I'm no expert.

32 foot C&C that I just purchased in October.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #5 of 12 Old 12-10-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We replaced our rod at the 12 year mark.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #6 of 12 Old 12-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingUphill View Post
....Anyway, I am pretty familiar with aging of wire rigging (roughly every 10 years), but what is the life expectancy of rod rigging?.....
This much is clear. No one agrees on the answer to this question.

I was looking at a boat with rod rigging, so did some broad research. First, I spoke with the major supplier of rod components, NavTec, at the Annapolis Boat show, who said inspection at 6 years and replace at 10 years.

Most rigging vendors have said, dye penetrant inspect every 6 years and replace on condition. Some say replace on a life limit of 12-20 years. The inspection was the only standard answer.

The mushroom heads at the end of the rigging will fail first, in most cases. The advantage of rod rigging is the head can be cut off and a new one formed. As long as the turnbuckle is long enough, you're back in business. You can also get longer screws for the turnbuckle.

If there is any cause for all the confusion or different answers, it's possible that one's use of their boat and the relative sizing of the rigging is a variable. The lightest possible size, coupled to a racing boat that pushes stresses and puts extraordinary miles on the hull, is going to need time limited replacement long before the weekend warrior.

I still have wire rigging and generally pull the stick every 5 years. I always pay the local rigger to do an inspection and write a report for me. It's pretty cheap and I think their eye is better than mine.

p.s. my wire rigging is now 15 years old. I had it inspected two years ago, with no failures. I expect to get several more years out of it.
SailingUphill and SanderO like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 12-11-2019 at 08:26 AM.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-11-2019 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
This is a good PSA. I have some questions though.
Thanks!
Quote:
Is this better done by a professional rigger?
My experience is that you pays your money and takes your chances when you hire ANYone. I feel competent to do 99% of the work on my boat (sewing is the exception). I will be taking my rigging to a competent shop, and I may end up replacing the whole ball of wax after consulting with them. The toggles, however, are going to be replaced.
Quote:
Can you actually see all the surfaces which might show something of concern?
I would not have been able to fully inspect and polish the swaged fittings unless I had disassembled the rig.
Quote:
How do rigging failures actually/typically play out?
Crevice corrosion of swaged fittings and chainplates, and broken wire.

Quote:
I did find a broken strand of two on one lower shroud after a tough 700 mile sail. I replaced the wire using a staloc. I did check it underway... it was the lee shroud and added a halyard as a sort of back up until I could effect the repair. Wire seems to break from movement (loose lee shroud). The shroud taking the load was fine!
The problem was probably caused by the age of the rigging. Shock loading caused the wire to break. It is a best practice to replace BOTH sides of any failed wire (if you must replace port, replace port and starboard).

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #8 of 12 Old 12-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Thanks!

The problem was probably caused by the age of the rigging. Shock loading caused the wire to break. It is a best practice to replace BOTH sides of any failed wire (if you must replace port, replace port and starboard).
corrosion is not failure... it may LEAD to a failure. My question was really how does crevice corrosion lead to failure? How much time does it take after first noticed?

I don't believe my strands broke from shock loads as much as fatigue from motion... where the somewhat flexible wire meets the rigid swaged eye.

I could be wrong and I usually am wrong.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #9 of 12 Old 12-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Because I have already paid to drop my mast (see https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-...pped-mast.html), I have been trying to get the most bang for the 1.5 boat bucks that the marina has charged me. I have therefore run new wiring in the mast and replaced the anchor light (the last incandescent bulb on the boat) with an LED. I have also pulled and polished the rigging associated with the shrouds (I'll get to the stays soon). For polishing I used a Scotch-Brite pad and followed up with a Magic Eraser.

I am glad that I did this because two of the toggles in my rigging are showing early signs of failure. You can see the hairline cracks raditing outward from the clevis pin on the toggle in the picture below.
Hmm, when I look at the picture, I would have thought that the radial structures are due to the cotter pins slightly impacting the toggle surface when they were at a different angle, which would make this completely harmless. I don't see hairline 'cracks.'

Is this due to my inexperience (a rigger I am not) or something with the photo?
post #10 of 12 Old 12-11-2019

I agree that the toggle doesn't look like it has cracks. However, toggles are one of the weakest points in rigging, they are relatively inexpensive, and easy to replace. They are the part of the rigging I pay particularly close attention to, and inspect more than other parts.

So replacing them regardless is a good thing.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in