PineSol/PineGlo for mold - SailNet Community
 8Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 12-11-2019 Thread Starter

PineSol/PineGlo for mold

Following from "Winter is coming" thread.

I have been using Dollar Tree PineGlo in a shallow bowl with fan blowing over to reduce the development of mold with some success.

On the hard I had planned to experiment with original PineSol which contains long leaf pine oil against PineGlo with contains a variety of synthetic antibacterial compounds.

The plan was for December to be straight PineGlo, January 4:1 dilution water:PineSol and February straight PineSol.

The fan died first week of December (it was more than 10 years old), so new fan.

I found PineSol 1/2 gallon at $2:50 in my local supermarket, only slightly more than 2 litre of PineGlo at $1.00/litre

So I will use up the last litre of PineGlo in December and go to straight PineSol for January.

Neither PineGlo or PineSol are marketed for mold control, but they do appear to work and I prefer the smell to tee tree oil.

We typically have temperatures a few degrees below and above freezing December, January and February with humidity above 60% and periods of several days at about 80%. Mold control on the hard is a challenge.

1970 Havsfidra 20 by Fisksatra
On the Delaware River at Fox Grove Marina Essington PA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-11-2019

Re: PineSol/PineGlo for mold

If you are not living on it, and the smell doesn't permeate and stay, why does it matter what it smells like?

Personally, I have a difficult time believing that there are enough volatiles with anti-mold properties, and the ability to escape an aqueous solution, to provide real anti-mold relief. I suspect the fan moving air about does more in this regard than the solution.

If you really want to prevent mold, kill mold that is already there, and have the boat cleaner in this regard than when you put it away, paraformaldehyde is what you want. It is sold in many hardware stores, or on-line. One brand is SunPac: https://www.doitbest.com/products/600025

It sublimes, so goes around the boat as a gas. You don't want to be inside the boat, and when you return it needs to be opened up and aired out for 20 minutes or so, but you won't have mold.

We use these whenever we need to leave the boat shut up in the tropics. Pure f'ing magic, and the only thing that works there - people who are afraid of "chemicals" use tea tree oil only to find they are cleaning mold when they return.

Of course, winter in Philly is not summer in the jungle when it comes to mold, so many weaker things could work well there.

Mark
-OvO- likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
The Following User Says Thank You to colemj For This Useful Post:
contrarian (12-12-2019)
post #3 of 25 Old 12-12-2019

I recall the original thread. I'm pretty sure I posted there that Pine Sol no longer contain pine oil.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 25 Old 12-12-2019
Freedom isn't free

Dock

Ozonator, it'll kill the mold. Just be careful to air it out before you spend time below.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #5 of 25 Old 12-15-2019 Thread Starter

I visit the boat often enough to do small projects while on the hard in the Winter that I do not want to create an extremely toxic or unpleasant environment to work in.

The mold is primarily inside the cockpit coming. I usually just wipe with a bathroom cleaner, which during the summer is good for at least a month.

My original use of PineGlo was not to reduce mold, but to make the work environment less unpleasant. It worked for that and had a secondary benefit to reduce mold.

I discovered the fan died at least a week ago, I am not sure how long it had stopped working, but probably not more than 10 days, which was enough time for mold to develop.

The fan was replace a week ago blowing over a shallow bowl of PineGlo, the area of mold inside the coming has been reduced by about 50%, and the bowl (about 2 cups) almost empty.

Humidity has been 60% to 80% with temperatures in the high 20's F overnight to low 50's F during the day, and dew points in the high 20's F to high 30's F.

So is it the fan or the PineGlo distributed as a vapor?
Will the fan just distribute the mold spores?

January will be PineSol, February will be fan only. March will be whatever appears to work best.

post #6 of 25 Old 12-15-2019

I knew there was some benefit to living on the frozen tundra.

The humidity is 75% here today, but that's a dew point of -6F on a temperature of 0F, so I don't think any mold is going to grow.
Minnewaska likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #7 of 25 Old 12-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
....The mold is primarily inside the cockpit coming.......
You must be shrink wrapped or equiv, or I can't see how the fan/disinfectant would even remain contained in the cockpit. I'm a bit surprised you have no mold below, if you can see it above, or maybe just none you can see.

If it's getting to 50F during the day, under a cover, I'll be the cockpit gets even warmer due to the greenhouse effect. My bet is on the fan, distributing air and encouraging ventilation of drier outside air. If the Pine cleaner make you feel better, so be it, but you'd have to try it with just the fan to know.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 25 Old 12-16-2019 Thread Starter

No shrink wrap.

Mold is inside cockpit coamings which is only accessible from the quarter berths.

We usually get a few low humidity (40% RH or below) weeks in the fall, but not this year.

Outside air is moist with mold and fungal spores which settle and develop on interior and exterior damp surfaces not exposed to direct sunlight. The coamings interior is the one part of the boat that does not get direct sunlight at any part of the day.

So the task is to keep surfaces dry which is difficult in conditions that at some part of the day will have the surface temperature near dew point, or weaken the spores in the air or on surfaces.
post #9 of 25 Old 01-11-2020 Thread Starter

It has been a wet and relatively warm winter so far. Today is the first day for two weeks without rain or gusting winds.
Temperatures are in the upper 60's F, 70% RH and overcast.
Lower 60's F overnight with rain and gusting winds.

Changed out the PineGlo with PineSol. I am using the new "original" PineSol with a trace of pine oil, I also have a half used old "original" PineSol with pine oil as the second ingredient.

The PineGlo and fan has reduced mold inside the coaming, but some remains.

All surfaces will get wiped down with PineSol before splash.

post #10 of 25 Old 01-14-2020 Thread Starter

Only 3 days but PineSol does not appear to be performing as well as PineGlo and the odor is more astringent (bitter).

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in