cabin sole stringers - SailNet Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By boatpoker
  • 1 Post By overbored
  • 1 Post By Jeff_H

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-26-2019 Thread Starter

cabin sole stringers

hey everyone, just back from looking at my new to me 1975 Grampian 26.
I knew I had to redo the cabin sole, but after lifting it I noticed that a few of the stringers (I think that's what they are called) need to be changed, they are rotted.

how hard of a job did I get myself into?
I won't be able to do any work until spring, everything is frozen over.
the boat has been sitting on the hard for the last 3 years so there is a little water in the bilge, frozen of course.

thanks for your help in advance.
Fred

I'm the new owner of a 1975 Grampian 26 in need of a lot of love.

previous boat was an Olympic Dolphin 23.

also like to go camping and scuba diving
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-26-2019
Dirt Free

Re: cabin sole stringers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederic Tremblay View Post
hey everyone, just back from looking at my new to me 1975 Grampian 26.
I knew I had to redo the cabin sole, but after lifting it I noticed that a few of the stringers (I think that's what they are called) need to be changed, they are rotted.

how hard of a job did I get myself into?
I won't be able to do any work until spring, everything is frozen over.
the boat has been sitting on the hard for the last 3 years so there is a little water in the bilge, frozen of course.

thanks for your help in advance.
Fred
The stringer/floor member grid is the backbone of the entire vessel. When in good condition it helps bulkheads, keel, mast and rigging stay where they are supposed to be. Depending on how bad it is you may or may not have a major issue. What did your surveyor say about this ?

Photos may (or may not help).
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Last edited by boatpoker; 12-27-2019 at 09:48 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-27-2019

Dock

Buying a 1975 26 footer? He wouldn't have a survey.

Get someone from the local haulout facility to come and quote.

Then do the job yourself.

The quote will tell you it's much worse than it is.

Spend the next few months reading up, asking questions here and practicing with fiberglassing the neighbours dog.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #4 of 7 Old 12-27-2019

It's been a few years (like maybe 40) but as i remember there are no stringers( lengthwise ) . there are some sole rib ( crosswise ) supports that where wood bonded across the inside the keel stub. the plywood floor boards set in a recess that is molded into the inner hull liner. I replaced the small ribs with fiberglass material and bonded it to the hull. the little ribs are not a structural part of the hull just support the center of the floorboards.
Jeff_H likes this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #5 of 7 Old 12-27-2019
Administrator

I don't recall how the framing on the Grampian 26's were constructed, but speaking generally, there are three types of frames that you might encounter in the bilge of a boat of this era; 1) Stringers (which run fore and aft), 2) transverse frames (which are the major structural elements running athwartship and which are also called 'floor timbers' or 'Floors' but which are not there to support the cabin sole, even if coincidentally they do support the cabin sole), and 3) deck frames (which also run athwartship but which are only there to support the cabin sole and are sometimes called 'deck beams'.)

The first two (stringers and transverse frames) should not be made of wood. That is pretty poor construction and would be harder to repair than if they were made of fiberglass. The deck beams are often made of wood and are pretty straight forward carpentry and glass work to repair.

On the stringers and transverse frames, the answer is that the boat needs to be supported so that the shape of the hull is as close as possible to its design shape because whatever distortion is in the hull when you do the repair, potentially will be locked in permanently. You would then cut away the bad sections of the stringers and transverse frames and grind an area on either side of the area where you are installing the new portions of the stringers and transverse frames. Then using either foam or wood, you would scribe and make a core for the new length of stringers and transverse frames to be replaced. Lastly you would layup heavy structural laminates of mat and woven roving in epoxy resin to reconstruct the missing portion of the stringers and transverse frames. The new laminate should extend a foot or two onto the portion of the original frames that are intended to remain.

Deck beams are pretty easy to replace. Its simply a matter of shaping them of wood to fit on whatever supports the ends, coating them with epoxy to seal the wood so that they don't rot out again, and then glassing the ends into the boat. You can probably do all of the cutting and sealing in a day in a day and the glassing in part in perhaps two or three short work sessions.

The answer to your question about doing this yourself, would by necessity derive from your self evaluation of:
"How good a carpenter am I?"
"How much do I trust my own fiberglass work?"
"How much do I want to do this myself rather than pay someone?"
"Do I have a good resource that I can count on to talk me through any part of this that I am not confident about doing?
"Do I have a fall back if something goes wrong?"

Respectfully,
Jeff
jblumhorst likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #6 of 7 Old 12-27-2019

this is a 26 sole very shallow sump and couple of wood support ribs bonded to the molded hull to support the floor board. the board sets in the molded recess of the molded liner
Attached Thumbnails
45d15c7a352f4871d290d49a2f4c1b05.jpg  

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Last edited by overbored; 12-27-2019 at 12:18 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-27-2019 Thread Starter

thanks for the info Overbored, great info.
do you think the bilge has enough room for a bilge pump (the flat ones)?

I'm the new owner of a 1975 Grampian 26 in need of a lot of love.

previous boat was an Olympic Dolphin 23.

also like to go camping and scuba diving

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in